A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Just took deliv - Paint swirls everwhere

Old 04-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just took deliv - Paint swirls everwhere

I just took deliv of my A-4 (Ibas White). After getting it home and looking at it in the sun there are faint swirls everywhere in the paint.

Not real pleased. Just wondering what I should do if anything.

Any advice appreciated ...

Tom
Old 04-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess you could ask the dealer to wax it for you? I'm surprised that you can make out swirls on a white paint - I can't tell anything on my Glacier White.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zainag
I guess you could ask the dealer to wax it for you? I'm surprised that you can make out swirls on a white paint - I can't tell anything on my Glacier White.
In the Sun it really obvious.

I would think it needs to be polished out with a pretty mild polish.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

About 8 years this happened to my mom's a few years back when she got her Q5 + a few spots still had the foil stuck, etc. Dad talked to the manager politely but let him know he was extremely disappointed. They took the car in for a proper detailing.

Before I went to pick mine up, I called the dealership a week ahead and told them that I expect the car to be in pristine condition upon picking it up, as a reflection of a top brand worldwide. I told them about my mom's experience. They got the point. Picked mine up in pristine condition. It was freshly detailed.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

That's one of the reasons why I never let my dealership wash my car. I'm bringing my car in next week for its first Audi Care service, and I will be sure to tell them not to wash it. I only wash it by hand with a soft lamb's wool mit. In cases where the car is covered with road salt in the middle of the winter, I will take it to a car wash with sprayers only, no brushes.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tommoran2
I just took deliv of my A-4 (Ibas White). After getting it home and looking at it in the sun there are faint swirls everywhere in the paint.

Not real pleased. Just wondering what I should do if anything.

Any advice appreciated ...

Tom
That happens when the dealer tried to buff your car during PDI. My car had fine swirls too. I made it worse because I had to put the car through automatic car washes since I was studying for some exams. After my exams were done, I did paint correction and detailed her myself. No swirls at the moment.
You can try doing paint correction yourself or you can get a detailer to do it for you. I wouldn't let the dealership detail or wash my car.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
That happens when the dealer tried to buff your car during PDI. My car had fine swirls too. I made it worse because I had to put the car through automatic car washes since I was studying for some exams. After my exams were done, I did paint correction and detailed her myself. No swirls at the moment.
You can try doing paint correction yourself or you can get a detailer to do it for you. I wouldn't let the dealership detail or wash my car.
What do you mean by you did a "paint correction" ? What was that process ?
Old 04-07-2017, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tommoran2
What do you mean by you did a "paint correction" ? What was that process ?
Paint correction is done to remove swirls and minor scratches.

1. Wash the car properly
2. Clay the car completely and wash it again with water
3. Using Wolfgang total swirl remover, porter cable 7424xp and an orange buffing pad, buff the car to remove swirls. Orange pads have cutting power and along with the swirl remover, helps remove swirls.
4. You can then use Wolfgang finishing glaze with a white buffing pad but I was too tired (the entire process took me around 8 hrs). Instead, I used Klasse AIO to wipe the car down and then put in two layers of Klasse HGS after that (one layer on the same day and the next layer after a few days).

This method removes swirls and HGS is a sealant which provides some protection and gloss. Made my car look really nice. I now wash only using the 2 bucket method and no swirls even after one month.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

VipinLJ, I'll bring my car over to your place next weekend!!!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jcallip1
VipinLJ, I'll bring my car over to your place next weekend!!!
He he. I'm leaving for vacations pretty soon :P here I come, India.

And btw. Audi paint is easy to correct since it is soft. But that also means it is more susceptible to swirls. My BMW has harder paint but is also more resistant to swirls.
And a PC is so easy to use. I mean. It was the first time I ever held a DA polisher in my hands and I managed to remove around 95-97% of the swirls!!!! Without any holograms or buffer marks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just took deliv - Paint swirls everwhere