A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Just took deliv - Paint swirls everwhere

Old 04-08-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tommoran2
I called the dlr and he wanted me to bring it back but I told him I really didn't want them to work on it anymore. I suggested that I get a quote from a reputable body shop locally that I have used before and I know do things right. He said OK . So I will get an estimate and get back to the dlr with it.

I have a PC and could do it myself but the way I see it I shouldn't have too. Ill see if they agree to the estimate I get on Monday.

Thanks fo all the responses.

This is a great site for a newbie to AUDI like me.
I'm not sure a body shop would be the right place to fix it (unless they do detailing too). I'd suggest visiting a detailer for paint correction. It's good to hear your dealer was atleast open to the suggestion of you getting a quote.
And yes. I know you shouldn't have to but stuff happens. If I weren't a detailing buff, I wouldn't have known about swirls and stuff. Heck. My in laws take their Audis and stuff to the local automatic car wash all the time and they aren't bothered by swirls. They don't even know what swirls are.

Do let us know how it went about.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
... My in laws take their Audis and stuff to the local automatic car wash all the time and they aren't bothered by swirls. They don't even know what swirls are.
Yes, sometimes ignorance is bliss!
Old 04-08-2017, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A4Driver
True that. Sometimes, I wish I didn't know this much about cars and detailing and stuff
Old 04-09-2017, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I'm not sure a body shop would be the right place to fix it (unless they do detailing too). I'd suggest visiting a detailer for paint correction. It's good to hear your dealer was atleast open to the suggestion of you getting a quote.
And yes. I know you shouldn't have to but stuff happens. If I weren't a detailing buff, I wouldn't have known about swirls and stuff. Heck. My in laws take their Audis and stuff to the local automatic car wash all the time and they aren't bothered by swirls. They don't even know what swirls are.

Do let us know how it went about.
Agree, but maybe the body shop outsources the detailing? Back to original issue, I like detailing also, but I would demand that the detailing would be on the dealer's dime, not mine.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver

Agree also about that. Most everyone just simply take out the hose and bucket and wash their cars - or mostly bring their cars through the car wash and are happy as clams. It's we amateur detailers and enthusiasts who get bent about swirls and holograms.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob m
Agree also about that. Most everyone just simply take out the hose and bucket and wash their cars - or mostly bring their cars through the car wash and are happy as clams. It's we amateur detailers and enthusiasts who get bent about swirls and holograms.
What do the dealers do that results in swirls? I'm expecting delivery at the end of May and will ask that they not wash it, but that sounds kinda silly. Do they use an electric buffer?
Old 04-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blorzoga
What do the dealers do that results in swirls? I'm expecting delivery at the end of May and will ask that they not wash it, but that sounds kinda silly. Do they use an electric buffer?
I would just make sure you let them know that you are expecting the paint to be scratch and swirl fee in the light of the day. Hopefully the sun will be out when you take deliv and it will be obvious if there are issues. Unfortunately, I didn't look mine over that well until I got home (which was 60 miles from dlr).

But at this point I would not trust letting them try to "correct" the issue.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buffing a new car with a dirty pad will cause the swirls that I have on my car.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not all dealers do a bad job during PDI and detailing. I suggest that you visit your dealer and ask them if you can observe their techs detailing a new car. And then inspect their work and see if they do a good job or not. If not, then tell them not to detail your car during PDI then arrange for it to be detailed by a reputable and professional detailing shop.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sometimes, a wash and wipe is more than enough to instill swirls. Most dealers use dirty microfiber to wipe the car after washing it. That results in the paint getting swirl marks. They then "polish" the car to make it shine. While it does shine, improper buffing results in more swirls or even worse, holograms/buffer trails. Those are much worse.
But again, like someone said, not every dealer has to be the same. If I were you, I'd ask them to just remove the white protection film the cars come with and hand it over to me. I'd do the washing and stuff after I get home.
When I took delivery of my A4, for the first car, I told them not to buff the car but it had a dent on the door. I asked them to replace it with another A4 (they had another one with the exact same specs). The dent was caused during pdi by the techs and they knew I'd ask for a new car and had prepared the other A4 for me and buffed it out, which ended up having minor swirls. But that got worse when I took it to the automatic car wash a few times since I was preparing for some tests and stuff. Anyways. I've fixed all that now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just took deliv - Paint swirls everwhere