A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Just took deliv - Paint swirls everwhere

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Sometimes, a wash and wipe is more than enough to instill swirls. Most dealers use dirty microfiber to wipe the car after washing it. That results in the paint getting swirl marks. They then "polish" the car to make it shine. While it does shine, improper buffing results in more swirls or even worse, holograms/buffer trails. Those are much worse.
But again, like someone said, not every dealer has to be the same. If I were you, I'd ask them to just remove the white protection film the cars come with and hand it over to me. I'd do the washing and stuff after I get home.
When I took delivery of my A4, for the first car, I told them not to buff the car but it had a dent on the door. I asked them to replace it with another A4 (they had another one with the exact same specs). The dent was caused during pdi by the techs and they knew I'd ask for a new car and had prepared the other A4 for me and buffed it out, which ended up having minor swirls. But that got worse when I took it to the automatic car wash a few times since I was preparing for some tests and stuff. Anyways. I've fixed all that now.
Just wondering if go touchless automatic car wash will be a problem as well? So, no auto car wash ever?
Old 04-09-2017, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by vincentzh
Just wondering if go touchless automatic car wash will be a problem as well? So, no auto car wash ever?
As long as it doesn't have those brushes or people using dirty old microfiber to wipe your car, it should be fine. If you have the time, it is best to invest in some good microfiber and car shampoo and stuff and do it yourself. Washing once a week/ once in two weeks should be enough if you don't mind a dirty car. It helps keep the paint in decent condition (swirl free/minimal swirls) compared to daily or regular washing which will make the car clean but reduce the life of the paint.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
As long as it doesn't have those brushes or people using dirty old microfiber to wipe your car, it should be fine. If you have the time, it is best to invest in some good microfiber and car shampoo and stuff and do it yourself. Washing once a week/ once in two weeks should be enough if you don't mind a dirty car. It helps keep the paint in decent condition (swirl free/minimal swirls) compared to daily or regular washing which will make the car clean but reduce the life of the paint.
Daily washing? I mean, i love my car, but daily washing would be a little OTT imho.

Does anyone here wash it daily? genuinely curious.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by j2488
Daily washing? I mean, i love my car, but daily washing would be a little OTT imho.

Does anyone here wash it daily? genuinely curious.
I know people who wash their cars daily or once in two days to have a clean car. Some people wash it only with water whereas some have people doing it for them using soap and water. Washing daily or once in two days with soap and water is bad. Once a week or once in two weeks keeps the paint healthy too. Downside is your car won't be shiny all the time but the paint will be healthy and lesser chances of swirls.