A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Lease-end consternation

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

The only thing that matters is who else got a car in your region the same month you did - before or after becomes pretty insignificant as you suggested

So, was it a true nothing down? Or no down payment, but you had first payment and inception due at signing

$30k is about market value for the car, as a CPO (yours isn't a CPO though), so I'd say at $30k, you're paying ~$2k more than market. Not a huge amount, but not pocket change either.

With that said, you can absolutely lease a 2019 for that price too, similarly spec'd overall. I just sold one to a client in MA the other day as a matter of fact

There is an AudiCare package that picks up at the 60k service, and another that picks up at the 80k service, so you can protect yourself there if you like having a dealer do the work, get a loaner, but insulate yourself against parts increases, shop labor rate increases.

So, my next questions - what's exact mileage on your car? Can you afford to write a check for your car or would you have to finance it to do the buy out?
Old 02-08-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
The only thing that matters is who else got a car in your region the same month you did - before or after becomes pretty insignificant as you suggested
So, was it a true nothing down? Or no down payment, but you had first payment and inception due at signing
$30k is about market value for the car, as a CPO (yours isn't a CPO though), so I'd say at $30k, you're paying ~$2k more than market. Not a huge amount, but not pocket change either.
With that said, you can absolutely lease a 2019 for that price too, similarly spec'd overall. I just sold one to a client in MA the other day as a matter of fact
There is an AudiCare package that picks up at the 60k service, and another that picks up at the 80k service, so you can protect yourself there if you like having a dealer do the work, get a loaner, but insulate yourself against parts increases, shop labor rate increases.
So, my next questions - what's exact mileage on your car? Can you afford to write a check for your car or would you have to finance it to do the buy out?
My car currently has 20,643 miles on it. I suspect I'll put another 2.5K miles on it by the time the lease is up.

Yes, I did have to make the first month's payment at signing, but don't remember if there was anything else.

My problem is that the whole leasing process is so complicated that I find it kind of confusing. I've been doing as much research as I can, but math wasn't my best subject in school (English was). I'm seriously thinking of going to another Audi dealership and sitting down with the sales manager -- letting him know in advance that I would not be making any decisions right away, but that I am shopping around. Hopefully, he'll be willing to give me some figures I can use to help me decide whether to buy my car or lease a new one.

Btw, I could afford to write a check for my car, but I would prefer to finance it.

Last edited by A4Driver; 02-08-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
My car currently has 20,643 miles on it. I suspect I'll put another 2.5K miles on it by the time the lease is up.

Yes, I did have to make the first month's payment at signing, but don't remember if there was anything else.

My problem is that the whole leasing process is so complicated that I find it kind of confusing. I've been doing as much research as I can, but math wasn't my best subject in school (English was). I'm seriously thinking of going to another Audi dealership and sitting down with the sales manager -- letting him know in advance that I would not be making any decisions right away, but that I am shopping around. Hopefully, he'll be willing to give me some figures I can use to help me decide whether to buy my car or lease a new one.

Btw, I could afford to write a check for my car, but I would prefer to finance it.
If I can be of assistance, let me know. I have a bunch of clients in Mass (I am in PA)

How many miles per year did you do on your lease?
Old 02-08-2019, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

A4Driver-
What was the MSRP of your 2017 A4? I ask because the $610 monthly lease payment seems high to me.
In July 2018 I leased a 2018 A4 Premium Plus with a bunch of options that wound up with a MSRP of $50,704. My car was one of this past summer's Summer of Audi cars and as such the $3,000 NAV package was included at no charge. So, had it not been one of these Summer of Audi cars it would have had a sticker MSRP of $53,704. I put zero down and paid my NYS 8 3/8% sales tax up front. My monthly lease payment is $496.50 and includes Audi Care and 12,000 miles per year. I chose to get the excess damage protection package for my own reasons (I am unlucky with idiots denting doors and hitting potholes that scratch wheels, etc.) and paid for it upfront. The buyout on my car is $26,910 should I decide to buy it at lease end.
In addition to these details Audi picked up the last 3 months of lease payments due on my 2016 A6 so I got out of that car into the new one without any cost to me. I think that leasing is a matter of persistence, timing and luck. When I negotiated for my 2016 A6 I had emailed 6 dealers and got quotes that varied from low to high by $130/month for the same spec’d car– so, all dealers are not the same.Just trying to suggest you might be able to negotiate a new A4 for less than the $610 you have been paying.

Last edited by irenesbob; 02-08-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
If I can be of assistance, let me know. I have a bunch of clients in Mass (I am in PA)
How many miles per year did you do on your lease?
I leased for 12,000 miles a year. Obviously, I am coming in at way lower than that.

I live in Mass, but actually bought my car in Conn. Would love any assistance you might be able to give me because as I mentioned before, leasing leaves me confused.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
A4Driver-
What was the MSRP of your 2017 A4? I ask because the $610 monthly lease payment seems high to me.
In July 2018 I leased a 2018 A4 Premium Plus with a bunch of options that wound up with a MSRP of $50,704. My car was one of this past summer's Summer of Audi cars and as such the $3,000 NAV package was included at no charge. So, had it not been one of these Summer of Audi cars it would have had a sticker MSRP of $53,704. I put zero down and paid my NYS 8 3/8% sales tax up front. My monthly lease payment is $496.50 and includes Audi Care and 12,000 miles per year. I chose to get the excess damage protection package for my own reasons (I am unlucky with idiots denting doors and hitting potholes that scratch wheels, etc.) and paid for it upfront. The buyout on my car is $26,910 should I decide to buy it at lease end.
In addition to these details Audi picked up the last 3 months of lease payments due on my 2016 A6 so I got out of that car into the new one without any cost to me. I think that leasing is a matter of persistence, timing and luck. When I negotiated for my 2016 A6 I had emailed 6 dealers and got quotes that varied from low to high by $130/month for the same spec’d car– so, all dealers are not the same.Just trying to suggest you might be able to negotiate a new A4 for less than the $610 you have been paying.
Sounds like you got a fantastic deal. A year after I leased my car, I was hearing from a lot of people whose monthly payments were less than mine. Seems I went for a ride and got taken to the cleaners.

But, like I pointed out, I got my car very early in the B9 model year, and in the spring. I knew if I had waited a year or so that the prices would have come down. But I was starting to have problems with my B8 (which I did not use as a trade) and needed a new car right away.

The MSRP for my car was $50,330. The car also came with several items I probably never would have ordered, including: Audi beam rings, $250; USB cables, $120; and Rear load edge paint protection film, $115.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like you got a fantastic deal. A year after I leased my car, I was hearing from a lot of people whose monthly payments were less than mine. Seems I went for a ride and got taken to the cleaners.

But, like I pointed out, I got my car very early in the B9 model year, and in the spring. I knew if I had waited a year or so that the prices would have come down. But I was starting to have problems with my B8 (which I did not use as a trade) and needed a new car right away.

The MSRP for my car was $50,330. The car also came with several items I probably never would have ordered, including: Audi beam rings, $250; USB cables, $120; and Rear load edge paint protection film, $115.
I think you’re right about initial introduction prices being high. I bought my car in July of ‘16 and I really had to work for a decent deal. I’m sure it was the same for leases.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

With your lease only a few months from ending why not just decide to get a 2019 A4 and go to the dealer and fight for it? PM me and I'll tell you my dealer and sales person, if that helps. Not the time to be indecisive or "settle."

Old 02-09-2019, 07:35 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

As far as extended warranties, most experts will tell you that it is better to put that money into the bank, where it is available for emergencies. Chances are that when you sell your car, that money will still be there.
I''m not sure I agree with that if the extended warranty is underwritten by the manufacturer and therefore, they pay the dealer discounted labour/parts rates compared to what you would pay paying cash for the same repair work... which means that they can sell you a warranty for $3000, pay for repair work that would cost you $3500-4000 at regular retail rates, and still make money.

To answer your bigger question, I expect mine is going back when it reaches its four year lease end. I'd love to keep it a little longer (especially if they continue the recent trend seen in Canada on other Audi models of requiring the evil evil evil S-line sports package to get a blue car), but the numbers just don't make sense once you throw in the transmission service cost, sales tax (13%), possibly an extended warranty, etc.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I’m in a similar boat and can’t make my mind up. My lease expires in November though so I still have time. Like HyperS4, I was looking at the G70 too. Great car. Another thing I was wondering was, like the OP, what if I buy my car out. My monthly payments are the same as the OP (Yes. I know I was taken for a ride but I bought my car early on too).
The end of lease residual for my car is $29k. I pay $609 a month (0 down, first payment taken care of by Audi). MSRP on my car was $48,750 (I believe). I know I’m paying too much but I was wondering if it makes any sense to buy it out. Or I thought I’d look at CPO’d A4s (ideally Prestige but they are so hard to come by) around then. Or maybe even check out the new 3 series. Another car that caught my eye was the Stinger GT but I’ve heard they can have build quality issues. I’ve owned Korean cars in the past and contrary to what others think, they have decent build quality and good engines.

Quick Reply: Lease-end consternation