A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Lease-end consternation

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I’m in a similar boat and can’t make my mind up. My lease expires in November though so I still have time. Like HyperS4, I was looking at the G70 too. Great car. Another thing I was wondering was, like the OP, what if I buy my car out. My monthly payments are the same as the OP (Yes. I know I was taken for a ride but I bought my car early on too).
The end of lease residual for my car is $29k. I pay $609 a month (0 down, first payment taken care of by Audi). MSRP on my car was $48,750 (I believe). I know I’m paying too much but I was wondering if it makes any sense to buy it out. Or I thought I’d look at CPO’d A4s (ideally Prestige but they are so hard to come by) around then. Or maybe even check out the new 3 series. Another car that caught my eye was the Stinger GT but I’ve heard they can have build quality issues. I’ve owned Korean cars in the past and contrary to what others think, they have decent build quality and good engines.

$29,000 is a lot for Premium Plus. My fully loaded Prestige is about $29,500 after 3 years and 12k miles with under $600 payments, and the real market value is even lower at least in my area.

Last edited by DeXel; 02-09-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

What you really need to decide here is if the purchase price of your off-lease car is a good value....can you buy a used car from your dealer that is a CPO with extended warranty for less money? THAT is the million dollar question.

I considered buying my TT off-lease. Currently used cars that have HALF as many miles as mine WITH CPO can be found advertised on the interest for thousands of dollars less than my residual value....and that's before even negotiating.

You need to decided if your residual value reflects the car's value. Maybe with your low miles it is. If not, then it's not a really great "deal" to buy your car if you are "overpaying" for it. Only you can decided if knowing how it was maintained/cared for by you is worth that "premium" to overpay compared to something the dealer has used on the lot.

I'm guessing you can lease a new car with identical options for notably less than you are paying right now on your current car. You didn't get a "great" lease deal because the model was so new back then. Now, Audi is desperate for sales and is giving away A4s. Plus, explore doing a lower mileage lease, you can go bellow 12,000 miles and save even more money. I'd seriously look at a new lease so I know those numbers before I made any decision on buying mine. You will indeed be spending a lot of money on brakes/fluids/tires/etc on your current car, money that could all go towards a new lease.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:55 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I’m in a similar boat and can’t make my mind up. My lease expires in November though so I still have time. Like HyperS4, I was looking at the G70 too. Great car. Another thing I was wondering was, like the OP, what if I buy my car out. My monthly payments are the same as the OP (Yes. I know I was taken for a ride but I bought my car early on too).
The end of lease residual for my car is $29k. I pay $609 a month (0 down, first payment taken care of by Audi). MSRP on my car was $48,750 (I believe). I know I’m paying too much but I was wondering if it makes any sense to buy it out. Or I thought I’d look at CPO’d A4s (ideally Prestige but they are so hard to come by) around then. Or maybe even check out the new 3 series. Another car that caught my eye was the Stinger GT but I’ve heard they can have build quality issues. I’ve owned Korean cars in the past and contrary to what others think, they have decent build quality and good engines.
What are the taxes like in your jurisdiction? Here, there's always a 13% sales tax on all vehicle sales, including private ones...

So, if I buy a used car that's worth $30K, I'm paying another $3900 in tax above that. If I sell/trade the car in next month for $29K (and that person will pay $3770 in tax), I'm actually out... $4900 on the deal.

In my mind, that means that buying an off-lease car to keep it for an extra year or two here is... insanely idiotic, because you're losing too much money on the taxes. So I would say that for it to make sense to buy your end-of-lease car, you'd need to keep it a further 4 years... and, at that point, you add up the car cost + tax, expensive maintenance items, warranty (if applicable - to have an apples-to-apples comparison with a new leased car you should really price in an extended warranty), minus what you think an 8 year old A4 will be worth... and compare that to the cost of another lease, and in my mind you're better off just leasing another car.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:59 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Now, Audi is desperate for sales and is giving away A4s.
I feel like they're not giving them away here. 3.9% lease rate over 36-48 months, who knows what the residuals are like, and free AudiCare. Maybe there are some secret incentives on top of that. I think my lease rate in summer 2016 was 3.9% (before MSDs), so...

(Note to Americans - leases here work differently and have interest rates, not 'money factors' like yours...)
Old 02-09-2019, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if they are, i wished i knew that a couple months ago to negotiate better
Old 02-09-2019, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
What are the taxes like in your jurisdiction? Here, there's always a 13% sales tax on all vehicle sales, including private ones...
So, if I buy a used car that's worth $30K, I'm paying another $3900 in tax above that. If I sell/trade the car in next month for $29K (and that person will pay $3770 in tax), I'm actually out... $4900 on the deal.
Taxes where I live are 6.25%. That may seem low to some people, but for many years our sales tax was 5%, until some brilliant lawmakers decided to raise it.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Tax is 8.75% where I live. And yes. I know I’m paying way too much compared to many others but like someone mentioned, this was when the B9 was launched. There weren’t a lot of discounts back then. And also, I didn’t know much different packages. Else I’d have definitely waited for a Prestige.
Also yes. I will be looking at other CPO/new/different brand cars at a similar price range when it is time. I guess I’ll wait and see. I hope to find a supercharged SQ5 in the low 30s when the time comes

Last edited by VipinLJ; 02-10-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
I feel like they're not giving them away here. 3.9% lease rate over 36-48 months, who knows what the residuals are like, and free AudiCare. Maybe there are some secret incentives on top of that. I think my lease rate in summer 2016 was 3.9% (before MSDs), so...

(Note to Americans - leases here work differently and have interest rates, not 'money factors' like yours...)
The 2019s have just (finally!) arrived, so rates are at their highest. 2018s dropped to 2.9% 2 months after arrival, to 1.9% at the 6-month mark, and then sat at 0.9% all the way through January, after which it looks like incentives ended entirely. On the finance side, those rates were accompanied by at least $1K, $2K and $3K of cash respectively. There's no guarantee that the 2019s will follow the exact same curve, but they'll definitely be cheaper in the summer than they are now.