A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Little green shoe ... learned something new.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Little green shoe ... learned something new.

There's one thing that the new B9 A4 has no shortage of, and that's indicator lights. I haven't counted them all, but there are dozens of them.

The one that intrigued me was the little green shoe that shows up at the bottom of my speedometer (Tech pkge.) while I am driving. At first it was solid green, with a little arrow pointing up at the sole, and later it was just a green outline of a shoe, then it went away.

I tried to vary my driving to see if I could make it reappear, but I couldn't -- it just seemed to appear whenever it wanted to.

Well, according to my owner's manual, when the solid shoe and arrow appear, you should "Remove your foot from the accelerator pedal to slow down because there is a situation ahead that requires a lower speed." When there is just an outline of a shoe, "Keep your foot on the accelerator pedal because the situation requiring a lower speed has not been reached yet."

Well, I'll be . . .

Meanwhile, a couple of other notes:

-- Last year I was given a new A3 as a loaner car. One of the first things I grew to dislike were the side-view mirrors. Their smaller, unusual shape didn't give me as much a view as did the mirrors on my A4. Sadly, these mirrors have made their way to the new A4. Pity.

-- Apparently, there is no separate valet key with the B9. You know, the little plastic one? I used to keep the (2009) valet key in my wallet, and it came in handy the times I needed to get in my car and didn't have my remote key with me. Another pity.

-- The other day I pulled my new A4 into my garage, and I shut it down. However, I was not able to turn the MMI off. I pressed the radio **** down for 30 seconds or more, but the Navigation map remained on the screen. Also, I couldn't switch to radio mode or anything. After playing with it for several minutes, I ended up restarting the car and playing with several more switches, and I finally was able to turn the MMI off. I think the complexity of the system caused it to hiccup. I think the car needs an alt/control/delete button.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

For me, turning ignition off and then opening the door always turned off the MMI. And in case it doesn't pressing and holding NAV + RADIO and then pushing the MMI know restarts the MMI.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
For me, turning ignition off and then opening the door always turned off the MMI. And in case it doesn't pressing and holding NAV + RADIO and then pushing the MMI know restarts the MMI.
Thanks! I'll give it a try.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I got the little green shoe sign too. The solid one with an arrow. I was wondering what it was. Nice little detail to know. I was pulling up to a stop sign and I guess I was going a little faster than usual so maybe the car was giving me a warning to slow down?
Old 12-07-2016, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I got the little green shoe sign too. The solid one with an arrow. I was wondering what it was. Nice little detail to know. I was pulling up to a stop sign and I guess I was going a little faster than usual so maybe the car was giving me a warning to slow down?
its for fuel efficiency, if you go to the driver assist lane then it'll give you more info i.e. Speed limit, intersection, traffic, curve. It uses nav data
Old 12-07-2016, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, I got the green shoe as well when I was going fast and there was stopped traffic up ahead. Pretty cool feature.

As for the mirrors, their shape is one of the things I really liked about the A4, but I agree that the view is not as good.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
its for fuel efficiency, if you go to the driver assist lane then it'll give you more info i.e. Speed limit, intersection, traffic, curve. It uses nav data
Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, I got the green shoe as well when I was going fast and there was stopped traffic up ahead. Pretty cool feature.

As for the mirrors, their shape is one of the things I really liked about the A4, but I agree that the view is not as good.
That's so cool. I saw it twice in the last two days and I was driving with a light foot. Could be that too.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
...if you go to the driver assist lane then it'll give you more info i.e. Speed limit, intersection, traffic, curve.
What do you mean by "if you go to the driver assist lane"?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I usually don't go for all this efficiency stuff but I just checked the efficiency box under vehicle settings on the MMI to see what this is all about. I'm guessing that by checking the box it should enable the green shoe among other things.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Glad it wasn't just me with the mirrors. I kept thinking I just didn't have them adjusted quite right.

Quick Reply: Little green shoe ... learned something new.