AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/)
-   -   Looking at a 2017 A4 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/looking-2017-a4-2968037/)

A4Nash 03-12-2019 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by kawedel (Post 25288346)
I'm seeing a sea of Premiums everywhere. I'm new to the forum and am also looking for a 2017 or 2018 A4. I've found it curious that most folks here seem to have Prestiges and PPs but the listings are full of Premiums. They must have made a ton of them relative to the higher trim levels. I'd probably be OK with one but for Side Assist, which I really want. So I'll probably get a PP. It doesn't help I'm in a somewhat remote area with one Audi dealer in 20 miles and not another in 200.

The Premiums were likely the car of choice for rentals and fleets. Just in case you are averse to that.

howardc64 03-13-2019 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by kawedel (Post 25288346)
I'm seeing a sea of Premiums everywhere.

Originally Posted by A4Nash (Post 25288482)
The Premiums were likely the car of choice for rentals and fleets. Just in case you are averse to that.

Indeed, just bought a 17 Premium A4 Quattro for a friend who only drives A4 Quattros since 2005. The reason so many 17 Premiums are on the dealer's lot is because they are ex Audi's rental car service cars (silvercar.com). silvercar.com basically let you get a A4 or Q3 rental at the major airports. Shuttle picks you up and take to A4/Q3 lot. Prices not too expensive and unlimited mileage. I figure it was just a way for Audi to run the factory at high throughput, maybe required by labor laws in Germany?

Anyway, these ex rental A4 Premiums are around 20k miles and most used car dealers got them at auction for about $22-$24k (badvin.org will show some of these auction car results with VIN. Also chat with audi on myaudi.com and they will tell if car came from silvercar.com with VIN). Around where am I in pacific northwest, these cars are popular but seems the 17 used are not selling very fast. Dealers are dropping prices to auction price after holding it on lot for 2-3 months. All these come with convenience and MMI Nav plus pkg.

autotrader.com shows all these cars In my area. Mostly on new car dealer's used inventory as they buy from auctions to fill their used fleet. Rural dealers is cheaper than metro dealers. Salesguy from rural BMW dealer where we bought the car said bulk of their used sales are 10-20k cars.

In terms of service. Most just had audi's 10 and 20k service at an Audi dealer.

dbias 03-14-2019 04:33 AM

if you could get that for $25k that is a lot of car for that price. That mileage should indicate highway miles which if backed up by excellent service records wouldn't bother me at all. My 2017 has 55k on it right now and easily 90% are highway miles. Heck the brake pads still look great.
My wife is an Insurance auditor and had a 100 mile round trip to work and that where the miles came from. Luckily she has been promoted/transferred to a location 5 miles from the house so now she does 10 miles a day. I am chaning to a 5k oil change interval to compensate for the short tripping now.

stoam13 03-15-2019 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by dbias (Post 25289184)
if you could get that for $25k that is a lot of car for that price. That mileage should indicate highway miles which if backed up by excellent service records wouldn't bother me at all. My 2017 has 55k on it right now and easily 90% are highway miles. Heck the brake pads still look great.
My wife is an Insurance auditor and had a 100 mile round trip to work and that where the miles came from. Luckily she has been promoted/transferred to a location 5 miles from the house so now she does 10 miles a day. I am chaning to a 5k oil change interval to compensate for the short tripping now.

Can anyone back this up? I was kinda thinking the same. Since these would be primarily commuted highway miles, then I wouldn't think there would be a lot of wear on the vehicle. Obviously, I'd still get something like this pre-inspected, but you could pick something like this up with the same wear as something with 20k miles for thousands off. If those 20k miles were fun miles and the 50k were commuting miles, then they could both be in relatively same condition for a fraction of the price.

howardc64 03-15-2019 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by stoam13 (Post 25289703)
Can anyone back this up? I was kinda thinking the same. Since these would be primarily commuted highway miles, then I wouldn't think there would be a lot of wear on the vehicle. Obviously, I'd still get something like this pre-inspected, but you could pick something like this up with the same wear as something with 20k miles for thousands off. If those 20k miles were fun miles and the 50k were commuting miles, then they could both be in relatively same condition for a fraction of the price.

See my post #23 for reference. Bought one of these for a friend and no way of knowing how the car was used while as a silvercar.com rental. But I assumed a few things

- silvercar.com is an app based audi A4/Q3 rental at major airports run by VW. So most likely business travelers or those who loves Audis. Low chance of kids getting them for joy rides or was tracked (although unlimited mileage with low rental cost makes it a good candidate haha)
- I relied on carfax to determine if any accidents. Non of the 10-15 I looked at that was auctioned off by VW Credit (silvercar.com) had any reported accidents.
- Balance of 4 year 50k mile warranty still in effect so just go to Audi to get anything not wear+tear corrected.

The car we got was pretty much perfect with the exception of 3 things which seem all common to this car and probably unrelated to rental wear+tear.

1. OEM P7 Cinturado tires had some high speed vibration (common problem, flat spots easily even on brand new cars). We eventually asked the dealer to swap with trade-in car's tires (2012 A4 quattro with same tire size) and problem gone. If you see this tire on the car. Read this thread carefully. My experience on #77 and #79 and chimed in more to help someone with issues on this tire. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...2912885/page2/

2. Engine head seam has a small leak. Going in for warranty repair. I found another car had this problem, not sure how common. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...seams-2966973/

3. Really really faint wheel bearing sound. Also going in for warranty repair but sound is so faint now that tech may not identify it. This one sounds like a common issue. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...speed-2940649/

From the cars you linked to in the original post, I figure I search in the Baltimore area for you. Here is what I saw.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/AWD+~+4WD/Audi/A4/Owings+Mills+MD-21117?driveGroup=AWD4WD&makeCodeList=AUDI&listingT ypes=USED&searchRadius=200&modelCodeList=A4&zip=21 117&maxPrice=30000&startYear=2017&endYear=2019&mar ketExtension=true&sortBy=relevance&numRecords=25&f irstRecord=0

Downside is not a lot of silvercar.com auctioned off cars in your area. But Carvana has a couple. Specifically, these 2 around 20k miles

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=507473965&zip=21117 &referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D21117%26startYe ar%3D2017%26incremental%3Dall%26endYear%3D2019%26m odelCodeList%3DA4%26makeCodeList%3DAUDI%26driveGro up%3DAWD4WD%26listingTypes%3DUSED%26sortBy%3Drelev ance%26maxPrice%3D30000%26firstRecord%3D0%26market Extension%3Don%26searchRadius%3D200&listingTypes=U SED&startYear=2017&numRecords=25&maxPrice=30000&fi rstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=A4&makeCode List=AUDI&searchRadius=200&makeCode1=AUDI&modelCod e1=A4&clickType=listing

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=508537738&zip=21117 &referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D21117%26startYe ar%3D2017%26incremental%3Dall%26endYear%3D2019%26m odelCodeList%3DA4%26makeCodeList%3DAUDI%26driveGro up%3DAWD4WD%26listingTypes%3DUSED%26sortBy%3Drelev ance%26maxPrice%3D30000%26firstRecord%3D0%26market Extension%3Don%26searchRadius%3D200&listingTypes=U SED&startYear=2017&numRecords=25&maxPrice=30000&fi rstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=A4&makeCode List=AUDI&searchRadius=200&makeCode1=AUDI&modelCod e1=A4&clickType=listing

Carvana doesn't provide a free link to carfax so you don't get the accident / service history. But these 2 cars came from silvercar.com and they follow Audi's original maintenance schedule (oil change at 10/20k miles). I know these 2 cars came from silvercar.com because autotrader includes vincheck link (no free check but get the VIN this way) and then use VIN in auction report on badvin.org shows VW Credit as the seller. You can also see the original auction price, location, and pictures. One car came from San Francisco while the other Las Vegas so likely used in CA airport and no salt underneath. Unfortunately, no picture shows a clear shot of the tires to know if they are Pirelli P7 Cinturatos (but probably the case as most I saw had them). To see unblurred report, make a free account on badvin.org.

https://badvin.org/v/WAUANAF4XHN0270....BCAA.12631015
https://badvin.org/v/WAUANAF41HN027421-2017-audi-a4-36b

Note both of these cars have been auctioned off 2-3 months now. Sellers will be motivated to negotiate and reduce the price towards their auction cost instead of keep on paying monthly loan on their capital.

You can also go to myaudi.com (make a login, even add a car with above VIN as yours just to get to chat to chat window) and chat with Audi USA help person. Give them VIN and ask them when does factory warranty expire. I noticed silvercar.com's Audis all started factory warranty almost a year before they were put into rental service so 4 year/50k mile warranty is due to expire sometime around 2020. I guess VW sees no point in providing longer factory warranty on these rental cars.

Anyway, if you want the Premium model for about $25k or less with around 20k miles. This is the path to pick one up. silvercar.com don't have anything but premium models. They are all optioned with convenience and MMI nav (look closer at the pics to confirm but was on all the ones I saw. For conv, I looked at heated mirror sign on the side mirror control knob, forgot what I looked at to verify MMI nav)

If you end up pursuing either of the above cars, I'd ask Carvana to

1. Confirm tire model and ask what they will do if tires prove to be problematic. But the tire problem is somewhat subjective and PITA to get someone to acknowledge to fix so best to just get it exchanged or discounted in case you need to swap. Given these cars likely sat for last 3 months, the Pirelli P7 Cinturatos are likely flat spotted (if not previously) and will likely have high speed vibrations.
2. Get carfax or vincheck report for you to see when it was put into rental service and the 10/20k service records on the report. silvercar.com usually ran these cars for about 1.5 years from the ones I've see. Here is an example of a silvercar.com auctioned 17 A4 Premium near me. See the carfax link for service records and length of time in the rental service.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=502938056&zip=98074 &referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D98074%26modifyS earchId%3D17914272571%26startYear%3D2017%26increme ntal%3DALL%26endYear%3D2019%26modelCodeList%3DA4%2 6makeCodeList%3DAUDI%26driveGroup%3DAWD4WD%26listi ngTypes%3DUsed%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26maxPrice%3D3 0000%26lastExec%3D1552693186000%26firstRecord%3D0% 26marketExtension%3Don%26searchRadius%3D200&listin gTypes=Used&startYear=2017&numRecords=25&maxPrice= 30000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=A4& makeCodeList=AUDI&searchRadius=200&makeCode1=AUDI& modelCode1=A4&clickType=listing

kawedel 03-15-2019 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by howardc64 (Post 25289794)
See my post #23 for reference. Bought one of these for a friend and no way of knowing how the car was used while as a silvercar.com rental.

This is really tempting because it looks to me like you got a good deal. I bought a Chrysler from a similar program in 2007 and even though it's by no means the car an A4 is it's done nearly repair-free yeoman's service for me for a dozen years. I just haven't talked myself into a Premium yet. I've decided I can live without VC because I like the aesthetics of the gauges, but I still want side assist. Thanks for the info, though. I'm mulling.

radhaz 03-15-2019 07:47 PM

The A4 B9 for me has a huge grin factor. Nice car to drive.

stoam13 03-25-2019 02:19 PM

Hey Guys, I'm going to be test driving a few A3 and A4's tomorrow; all from the 2017 year. Might purchase one. Anything I should look out for. Any specific reliability issues you all have run into that I should make sure is fine?