Major Facelift for B9? - AudiWorld Forums

A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Facelift for B9?

Reply

 
 
 
Old 03-04-2018, 06:27 AM
  #1  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 63
Default Major Facelift for B9?

Hi folks,

It looks like there's been some rumblings of the B9 receiving a more significant facelift than the usual, which would obviously not be great for us current owners.

Here are some links to a couple of other forums which have some interesting pictures and commentary:

Audi A4 B9 facelift expected for 2019 | Audi-Sport.net

https://www.germancarforum.com/threa...t.57040/page-3

What do you think?
If it really is that "only the doors and windows" will be kept then it would be a very major change indeed.
I hope this isn't another one of those B6->B7 transitions!

Last edited by jyang7788; 03-04-2018 at 06:36 AM.
jyang7788 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:07 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southington, CT
Posts: 1,447
Default

Based on Audi's normal refresh cycle I think that 2019 is too soon for a major refresh here in the US. Europe often gets models one year sooner than US so perhaps they will see a refresh this year and we will see a refresh in the 2020 models. The refresh may include new engine options (the 48 V mild hybrid?) and some body styling and perhaps lighting (matrix?) changes but the chassis (B9) will remain the same.

That is my prediction. We will just have to wait and see.
SchwarzS6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:29 AM
  #3  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 63
Default

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6 View Post
Based on Audi's normal refresh cycle I think that 2019 is too soon for a major refresh here in the US. Europe often gets models one year sooner than US so perhaps they will see a refresh this year and we will see a refresh in the 2020 models. The refresh may include new engine options (the 48 V mild hybrid?) and some body styling and perhaps lighting (matrix?) changes but the chassis (B9) will remain the same.

That is my prediction. We will just have to wait and see.
Hoping you're right! That said, I could do without some of the theatrical headlight and taillight details they introduced in the new A8/A7/A6.
jyang7788 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:51 AM
  #4  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Northeast, USA
Posts: 50
Default

I could do without some of the theatrical headlight and taillight details they introduced in the new A8/A7/A6.[/QUOTE]

+1, and the double touchscreen inside
Bestcar17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:23 AM
  #5  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 60
Default

I dunno. Audi isn't really known for its radical exterior design changes. I'm sure it will be evolutionary with only the small details noticeable to Audi owners like us.
AidanHadley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:08 AM
  #6  
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,060
Default

Isn't there a rumour of a 9 speed dual-clutch transmission?
VM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:06 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Super User
 
stanj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,407
Default

Originally Posted by AidanHadley View Post
I dunno. Audi isn't really known for its radical exterior design changes. I'm sure it will be evolutionary with only the small details noticeable to Audi owners like us.
Yes, like the difference between the B6 and B7, which was really just a dot-release but so big on the exterior that it got its own version number. I waited for the 2005.5 S4 (B7) because the bubble butt of the B6 was just too hideous.
stanj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:44 PM
  #8  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 63
Default

Originally Posted by stanj View Post
Yes, like the difference between the B6 and B7, which was really just a dot-release but so big on the exterior that it got its own version number. I waited for the 2005.5 S4 (B7) because the bubble butt of the B6 was just too hideous.
Exactly...pretty much every review of the B9 can be summed up as a car that is highly competent and a class leader in all areas except styling, which has been widely criticized for being too similar to the B8. So I think it's believable that it could be a big facelift.

The W212 E-Class is another recent example of a car that huge facelift...but in my opinion it looked worse after.
jyang7788 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:56 PM
  #9  
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,060
Default

Originally Posted by jyang7788 View Post
Exactly...pretty much every review of the B9 can be summed up as a car that is highly competent and a class leader in all areas except styling, which has been widely criticized for being too similar to the B8. So I think it's believable that it could be a big facelift.
The B8 and B9 are quite different looking if you ask me... that being said, Audi tends to be conservative with styling. It's probably one of the things that have made their sales go up so much (in Canada, I think they have doubled or tripled their sales in the last decade?). If everybody wanted bold styling, the Cadillac ATS would be selling like hotcakes...
VM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:01 PM
  #10  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 279
Default

Originally Posted by VM View Post
The B8 and B9 are quite different looking if you ask me... that being said, Audi tends to be conservative with styling. It's probably one of the things that have made their sales go up so much (in Canada, I think they have doubled or tripled their sales in the last decade?). If everybody wanted bold styling, the Cadillac ATS would be selling like hotcakes...

Audi's have such a timeless design. I see older models on the road, and I still think they're nice looking. When I hear a lot of people complain about Audi's in particular, I wonder why some of them don't do the same for BMW. I honestly think BMW all look the same, especially their "angel" head lights that have remained unchanged and is on EVERY single lineup. Audi, you can instantly tell the model from their headlights almost immediately and they change them up!
JDA_yeg is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Major Facelift for B9?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: