A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Massive 2018 A4 transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 01:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Massive 2018 A4 transmission leak

I detected a heavy fluid leak on my 2018 Audi A4 Premium Quattro over Father's Day weekend when driving up my rhino ramps to clean. I initially was in denial that it could be my car since it is so new but had to check it out to be sure (only 8 months old.) I remove the belly pan and it's very apparent my transmission fluid pan was leaking from a few pan bolts and lost a considerable amount of fluid. I don't know when this began but the belly pan was very saturated. My concern was that the transmission was now very low on fluid. I tightened the bolts that were clearly loose and wiped it all as clean as I could to look for any other areas possibly leaking.

I take the car immediately to my dealership on Monday and they took it in after I explained the leak. After waiting, they came back and said they detected no leaks and that the belly pan was wet because of Cosmoline. I've never heard of it until I looked it up but it's basically a rust Protestant during shipment overseas. I felt uncomfortable with that answer and explained that I tightened and cleaned up the problem area but it's still wet and shiny because it WAS leaking. They insisted that it was Cosmoline and becuase of the current high heat of Las Vegas, the cosmoline melts and turns like an oil. I was not happy with that answer because I did experience hard shift a few times over the last two weeks but thought it was nothing or thats how a DSG transmission works and car is too new. I also know I have warranty so I left.
I decided to take it to a neighboring dealership for a second opinion since I couldn't stop thinking about it . I expressed my concern exactly like the first dealership and they took it in. 30 minutes later they tell me that the car had a massive leak and they are going to have to replace everything and possibly the transmission! They also said because they have to order the parts from Germany, I will not have my car for at least a month and possibly more. They quickly set me up with an Ultra Premium FWD and told me they will contact me periodically with progress. I'm really dissapointed with my original dealership and loved that the second dealership took the time to look at it seriously and thoroughly but still can't believe this is all happening! What should I do now? Should I demand a new transmission since I have been damaging it since the leak started? Can I get compensation for this? Should I write corporate to vent my disappointment with the first dealership for not checking properly? Just looking for some thoughts. I'm just sad and angry something so big like this would happen so soon to my first Audi! Thanks in advance.

​​​​​​

Last edited by Romeoc1984; 06-21-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to hear and, yes, very disappointing with your first dealer. However, YOU made one BIG mistake. You should NEVER try to fix something like this on your own and should have left the pan bolts as they were. By you "tinkering" with it while its under warranty, you made things worse and the first dealer may have come to the same conclusion as the second if you would have left things alone so they could see the true problem. This is certainly a serious issue and one that you should have had handled by AUDI Roadside Assistance and your dealer.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

When DSG fluid starts to drop the fluid pump runs more often to maintain accumulator pressure, and with less fluid in there to absorb heat from the clutches it begins a cascading effect of effectively cooking the transmission. The dash will throw a flashing red parking brake error notice once DSG fluid gets too low and the car will not move (because the solenoids can't engage gears, there's no fluid to push the actuators). High DSG fluid temps will also destroy the seals in the mechatronics. As there is no easy way to troubleshoot all the possible damaged caused it's easier to simply replace the entire trans. This should be covered under warranty as long as the service tech didn't note your attempts at tightening the trans pan.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Breadbooze gives you good background on how the transmission monitors and responds to fluid level. If you were not getting warning lights before discovering the leak, the transmission is probably O. K.

"What should I do now?"
You're doing almost everything you need to do. The car is in the hands of a dealer who understands the problem, and you're driving an acceptable loaner. You might want to look up your state's lemon law just so you'll know what your options are if the repair is unsatisfactory or takes too long.

"Should I demand a new transmission since I have been damaging it since the leak started?"
If you weren't getting warning lights you probably weren't damaging the transmission; it was operating within its normal tolerance range. Still, if the dealer comes back with a lesser solution you should (politely though firmly) state that you would prefer replacing the whole thing. But that's for later; now you're good, so wait to see what they say.

"Can I get compensation for this?"
What compensation? The repair is covered by your warranty, and you've got a loaner. Audi (and the dealer) are covering your losses.

"Should I write corporate to vent my disappointment with the first dealership for not checking properly?"
I would, but not "to vent." Venting is what you do here. A letter (should be a paper document, not an email) to Audi NA would be a good customer sharing with the company a somewhat unsatisfactory experience with a dealer. I would make sure my explanation is absolutely clear -- all fact and logic, no emotion. I would also give the service manager at the first dealer a chance to comment before sending the letter; everybody makes mistakes. Audi NA won't actually do anything about or to the first dealer, but maybe you letter will "go onto their permanent record."

I know this situation is aggravating; some years ago I had a problem with a VW Passat wagon which cropped up two days after I bought the car and lasted for two months. They eventually fixed it (much of the delay was getting a part), and after a few weeks they made one of my car payments for me. So the company has a few ways to make you feel a little better. I also let them know, by the way, that I was ready to file a lemon law claim. Basically, I kept my communications with VW NA factual and impersonal, and I never yelled at the dealership's people. Eventually I got what I wanted.

Of course you're frustrated and a little angry. Place all that here, where it will do no harm. Good luck, and may the force be with you.
The following 3 users liked this post by Virginia Bill:
David Shaw (07-26-2019), ETrains (09-24-2019), Sam Leon (07-18-2019)
Old 06-21-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by securityguy
Great to hear and, yes, very disappointing with your first dealer. However, YOU made one BIG mistake. You should NEVER try to fix something like this on your own and should have left the pan bolts as they were. By you "tinkering" with it while its under warranty, you made things worse and the first dealer may have come to the same conclusion as the second if you would have left things alone so they could see the true problem. This is certainly a serious issue and one that you should have had handled by AUDI Roadside Assistance and your dealer.
Thanks for the tips, I know I shouldn't have done that but I was just trying to stop the problem from getting worse. I did freak out a bit and my inner mechanic kicked in which was not going to help the situation. The second dealership service advisor I don't think mentioned I tightened it because it leaked more the following day between going from one dealer to another. Thank you for your help.
The following 2 users liked this post by Romeoc1984:
ETrains (09-24-2019), Sam Leon (07-18-2019)
Old 06-21-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Romeoc1984
Thanks for the tips, I know I shouldn't have done that but I was just trying to stop the problem from getting worse. I did freak out a bit and my inner mechanic kicked in which was not going to help the situation. The second dealership service advisor I don't think mentioned I tightened it because it leaked more the following day between going from one dealer to another. Thank you for your help.
I get it...we all have that "inner mechanic" thing going on. Keep us posted but I am confident that all will be well in the end. As they say...$hit happens
The following 2 users liked this post by securityguy:
Old 06-21-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by breadbooze
When DSG fluid starts to drop the fluid pump runs more often to maintain accumulator pressure, and with less fluid in there to absorb heat from the clutches it begins a cascading effect of effectively cooking the transmission. The dash will throw a flashing red parking brake error notice once DSG fluid gets too low and the car will not move (because the solenoids can't engage gears, there's no fluid to push the actuators). High DSG fluid temps will also destroy the seals in the mechatronics. As there is no easy way to troubleshoot all the possible damaged caused it's easier to simply replace the entire trans. This should be covered under warranty as long as the service tech didn't note your attempts at tightening the trans pan.
Thanks for the details! I didn't receive any errors which I imagine is good thing but service advisor said it was no longer safe to drive. I realize how even just tightening bolts could skew the situation but I'm sure they did encounter more locations where it was leaking because it never got brought up again and they took it in for a long term repair. Really appreciate it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Romeoc1984:
Old 06-21-2018, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Virginia Bill
Breadbooze gives you good background on how the transmission monitors and responds to fluid level. If you were not getting warning lights before discovering the leak, the transmission is probably O. K.

"What should I do now?"
You're doing almost everything you need to do. The car is in the hands of a dealer who understands the problem, and you're driving an acceptable loaner. You might want to look up your state's lemon law just so you'll know what your options are if the repair is unsatisfactory or takes too long.

"Should I demand a new transmission since I have been damaging it since the leak started?"
If you weren't getting warning lights you probably weren't damaging the transmission; it was operating within its normal tolerance range. Still, if the dealer comes back with a lesser solution you should (politely though firmly) state that you would prefer replacing the whole thing. But that's for later; now you're good, so wait to see what they say.

"Can I get compensation for this?"
What compensation? The repair is covered by your warranty, and you've got a loaner. Audi (and the dealer) are covering your losses.

"Should I write corporate to vent my disappointment with the first dealership for not checking properly?"
I would, but not "to vent." Venting is what you do here. A letter (should be a paper document, not an email) to Audi NA would be a good customer sharing with the company a somewhat unsatisfactory experience with a dealer. I would make sure my explanation is absolutely clear -- all fact and logic, no emotion. I would also give the service manager at the first dealer a chance to comment before sending the letter; everybody makes mistakes. Audi NA won't actually do anything about or to the first dealer, but maybe you letter will "go onto their permanent record."

I know this situation is aggravating; some years ago I had a problem with a VW Passat wagon which cropped up two days after I bought the car and lasted for two months. They eventually fixed it (much of the delay was getting a part), and after a few weeks they made one of my car payments for me. So the company has a few ways to make you feel a little better. I also let them know, by the way, that I was ready to file a lemon law claim. Basically, I kept my communications with VW NA factual and impersonal, and I never yelled at the dealership's people. Eventually I got what I wanted.

Of course you're frustrated and a little angry. Place all that here, where it will do no harm. Good luck, and may the force be with you.
I really am glad I had a chance to vent here because I woke up realizing that I did the best I could to fix the situation and it's officially in good hands. Thank you for your comforting response and great tips on how to handle the situation professionally than emotionally. I am confident Audi will do the right thing.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017/2018 Audi A4 Transmission Leak also identified 😞😡

In Nov 2017 I bought an dealer demo Audi A4 with approx 2000kms registered from NSW Australia.

Approximately 6 months later (17678kms) I took the car to get serviced by an independent mechanic who made the following observation “vehicle needs to be taken back to Audi dealer due to transmission oil leak”.

At this point I was shocked to hear and see this and thought how could a brand new Audi ( my first ever Audi) have a leak??!!!

On 18 June I took it to Barry Bourke Audi ( a dealer/repair centre) in Berwick Victoria who noted the following ...
“ check and report on oil leak evident from transmission
Carried out first inspection of the vehicle and found current TPI.
Carried out TPI, customer needs to rebook or inspection on a month after TPI”

“Customer returned on 24/7/18 . Carried out checks as per TPI. Tested all ok”

After this transaction with Barry Bourke Audi , I took it to my independent mechanic who stated that the dealer merely washed the car and there were signs of the leak starting again.

I then went back to the Audi repair centre and expressed my disappointment with the whole experience.

They stated the following points “ we took pics initially and sent it to Audi headquarters - we washed it and tighten the bolts”

The second visit they stated that they had contacted Audi head quarters and they were advised that it was “sweating” and it was normal for cars to sometimes “sweat oil” ...other wise known as “weeping” and that “I should not worry because the car was safe”

They also remarked that although the previous 2 occasions they acknowledge a leak- they now deemed it as sweating and could not fix it due to Audi Australia wasn’t going to cover the costs of the repair.

I complained to Audi Australia and posed the following question.

“My question is - is it standard for your cars “to sweat oil” from your transmission? Please advise.”?

“My other question is- from the pics above- would you call that sweating or leaking?”?

“If its normal that your cars sweat oil- can you please outline where in your terms of purachse does it state this?”

Audi Australia told me to go get a second opinion as i was going to refer them to Victorian consumer commission and or VCAT.

Cut along story short- I took it to Audi Brighton who carried out the same initial testing and confirmed that there was indeed an oil leak…..contradicting Barry Burke Audi.

They tighten bolts etc sent me away only for my mechanic to confirm that it was still leaking!!!

On the 3rd attempt at the new repair centre- they replaced all the bolts and seals ensuring me that it was fixed.

Unfortunately as of the 5th of July after a total of 6 attempts to fix the problem by two Audi repair centres- the car is still leaking!!

Ive wasted countless hours taking it into the repair centre, borrowing there loan cars with the threat of excess should i crash their car (5k excess at AUdi Brighton).

My independent mechanic has indicated that this may be a manufacturing fault of the recent Audis transmission configuration and as they have seen at least 6 Audis with the same problem.

My first and LAST Audi that’s for sure!!!! Very disappointed indeed at Audi Barry Bourke and my Audi in general. I’ll settle for a more reliable TOYOTA next time!!

Im requesting a full replacement of the transmission otherwise I will take it further to Victorian Consumer affairs.

While posting this- somebody on facebook commented “funny, my car has just been taken in for that exact reason” ...i suspect many more to come.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bellypan hides problems, even worse if not removed during service to inspect.

Quick Reply: Massive 2018 A4 transmission leak