A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Missing Wheel Lock key

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Wheel Lock key

I purchased an A4 Premium Plus 2017 from Hertz Car Sales and just found out that the wheels have a lock nut and the removal nut for it is missing from the car. Since the car is sold as is condition it did not have that lock nut removal tool as it seems someone might have removed it when they rented the car. I was not aware that cars have such lock nuts until now. Where can I buy this nut so I can remove it as this is important otherwise I cannot replace the tire with a spare wheel. I looked in the vehicle toolkit in the trunk and it is missing. Can I buy this from Audi parts https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__A7...4F0071455.html or is the nut unique to each car?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here is a photo of the nut.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Well, that's clearly going to be a problem when you get a flat tire or wish to rotate the tires if missing the key. What is your game plan?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Well, that's clearly going to be a problem when you get a flat tire or wish to rotate the tires if missing the key. What is your game plan?
Yes this is the problem. I need this key for replacing flat tire on road or rotating tires but want to find out where I can get this key from the community if they also had similar issue.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Well, I've seen shops weld something to the end of the lug bolt, but those look like they're deeply recessed.

I don't have any familiarity with the locks. I know McGard was the primary name in this business, but I'm quite certain Audi sells these locking lug bolts too. I wonder if the original, selling dealer would have kept record of these bolts being fitted?? There's typically a registration card or similar that would come with the kit. You are not the first person to lose your key, I'd start with the dealer and see if they can help with a replacement key assuming this is an Audi-sourced part.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If they’re OEM Audi you should be able to get a key thru an Audi dealer. You may have to jump thru some hoops to prove ownership but it can be done.
If not, just do what the car thieves do & pound a 3/4” socket onto the lug bolt & unscrew it (those OEMs & most others are useless against a determined thief).
If you do it that way, plan ahead & buy 4 new lug bolts ahead of time.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

I am always wondering how dealer's shop taking off those lock nuts when people come in for service. Do they have a master keys to every set or do they have to use the key in each car to do it?
Old 09-21-2018, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most dealers do have a master set since folks seem to lose them frequently. If look on utube you'll find the down and dirty way to get them off, it involves pounding a socket on and turning them off. have you looked around the trunk and spare tire area for the originals to put back in?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Old 09-21-2018, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Boy. I wouldn’t try that. Seems too easy to loose that nut as shown in the video. In reality, I am having very hard time to even loose a regular nut especially a shop has worked on the wheels (be it tire rotation, change or balance). I would strongly suggest OP go to a dealer and let them loose and swap out the lock nut.

Quick Reply: Missing Wheel Lock key