A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

MMI Firmware Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Firmware Update

Is the software user upgrade-able or does it require a dealer to perform this task? Is there an additional cost for this or a routine request?

I have experience with Ford's Sync, and their UI firmware was upgrade-able via a file download, online, by the car owner. Dealer intervention was not required.

I have version 0443 and I believe there is a newer version out.

Last edited by Donkihad; 11-21-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your dealer will do it or should do it under warranty. Audi pays them.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Donkihad
I have version 0443 and I believe there is a newer version out.
How does one even get to know what is up to date? Does Audi update a website?
Old 11-22-2016, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

You will need a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that describes an issue that is fixed by a newer MMI software to get the dealer to do it for free. If there is no TSB then the dealer will not get reimbursed by Audi and either charge you or bill the time spend on the update somewhere else. No sw update is perfect, there are always some devices that won't survive and that's why dealers usually don't do it without TSB because it can get expensive very quickly.

That being said, there are several issue with the MMI, like freezing, rebooting, failing to establish Internet connection that should get fixed in a future sw update, if not fixed in 0692 already. I'm trying to keep track of the sw versions in https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...rized-2898830/ and will also add any information about TSB once they become available. Similar will be true for the VC that got some updates (freezing, trip counter reset, garbled display) in ROW already but none officially in the US.

I just wish that Audi would start providing OTA updates fro all components, that would make an AudiConnect subscription worth the money.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
You will need a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that describes an issue that is fixed by a newer MMI software to get the dealer to do it for free. If there is no TSB then the dealer will not get reimbursed by Audi and either charge you or bill the time spend on the update somewhere else. No sw update is perfect, there are always some devices that won't survive and that's why dealers usually don't do it without TSB because it can get expensive very quickly.

That being said, there are several issue with the MMI, like freezing, rebooting, failing to establish Internet connection that should get fixed in a future sw update, if not fixed in 0692 already. I'm trying to keep track of the sw versions in https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...rized-2898830/ and will also add any information about TSB once they become available. Similar will be true for the VC that got some updates (freezing, trip counter reset, garbled display) in ROW already but none officially in the US.

I just wish that Audi would start providing OTA updates fro all components, that would make an AudiConnect subscription worth the money.
Thank you. That helps.

I only had a freeze once, therefore no immediate need, I will wait for the next version and review the changelog for it.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US

Tesla is looking much more progressive now with how consistent they are with their updates. It'll be interesting to see when the first car stops being supported by them. But also, we need a new update soonish, the MMI in my Q7 is faster and less buggy than the A4.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Guys,

i have picked up MY17 last Wednesday. Its an 2.0 TDI ultra 150 sport. it has build in sim. all the audi connect features are working fine however the FW version is nothing like in your post. maps are 0020 and MMI software FW is 0148. there are few issues that i have noticed like: bluetooth music streaming keeps loosing connection while playing music from iphone or im unable to download POIs that i have uploaded via myAudi website (the update server cannot be reached error message pops up). i also cannot add them via SD card. Do you have any ideas?

Old 11-26-2016, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bpnike
Hi Guys,

i have picked up MY17 last Wednesday. Its an 2.0 TDI ultra 150 sport. it has build in sim. all the audi connect features are working fine however the FW version is nothing like in your post. maps are 0020 and MMI software FW is 0148. there are few issues that i have noticed like: bluetooth music streaming keeps loosing connection while playing music from iphone or im unable to download POIs that i have uploaded via myAudi website (the update server cannot be reached error message pops up). i also cannot add them via SD card. Do you have any ideas?

You have a different mmi than most of us in the US we have the MIB High so it will have a different software number. (Look for silver bezel around screen vs black bezel)
Old 06-01-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I will try waking up an old thread here about MMI firmware updates, before I try making a new thread myself about it.
I have a 2012 S5 and I have a feeling the MMI has never been updated since the car was new. The biggest issue I'm having is music files (song names) are not scrolling. This is either through the Audi MMI connection, or using an SSD card. Most band names / song titles are longer then Audi's MMI display shows. It always cuts off with ... like for example "Armin Van Buuren and Gabriel & Dresden - Zocalo" would simply become "Armin Van Buuren and Gab..." and that's as far as it shows it. This is either using raw MP3 file names or when using ID3 tags. So what were Audi thinking? And is this happening on other people's displays too? Would a firmware update fix this and scroll the titles? Can such an update be done by myself via copying a firmware file to an SSD card or USB stick (via MMI interface)? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sirius104
I will try waking up an old thread here about MMI firmware updates, before I try making a new thread myself about it.
I have a 2012 S5 and I have a feeling the MMI has never been updated since the car was new. The biggest issue I'm having is music files (song names) are not scrolling. This is either through the Audi MMI connection, or using an SSD card. Most band names / song titles are longer then Audi's MMI display shows. It always cuts off with ... like for example "Armin Van Buuren and Gabriel & Dresden - Zocalo" would simply become "Armin Van Buuren and Gab..." and that's as far as it shows it. This is either using raw MP3 file names or when using ID3 tags. So what were Audi thinking? And is this happening on other people's displays too? Would a firmware update fix this and scroll the titles? Can such an update be done by myself via copying a firmware file to an SSD card or USB stick (via MMI interface)? Thanks for any info.
This thread is in regards to B9 generation cars 2017+ which have very different MMIs than the B8. I think that you may find more help in a B8 thread as no one here will have the same MMI as you.

Quick Reply: MMI Firmware Update