A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Is MMI Freezing for anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Your software version should still be 0692 if you got ht car just a few days ago (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...rized-2898830/). The first software update for the MMI will likely solve some of those issues, might be another 6 months or so before it's being released though. Just make sure that you let your service advisor and Audi know that you are having this issue so that it is on record. Not that it makes a difference but hope never dies...
Old 12-13-2016, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had this happen to me for the first time tonight. I changed from the radio to XM right after starting the car. Then none of the MMI controls worked. After a few minutes, it rebooted and everything was fine.

At first I thought maybe it was the cold weather. I think I have 150 miles on it so far.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 4-5 freezes since Oct, Audi is replacing the MMI unit.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by marklar182
I have had 4-5 freezes since Oct, Audi is replacing the MMI unit.
Did you have proof? Or just telling them it happened five times worked? Asking just for information. I'm not exactly sure how warranty stuff here works but in other places, they need to see it to claim warranty. Curious. I haven't had any warranty related issues yet. That's why.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No proof. I have been going to the same Audi Service Dept since 2003, so they trust/believe me when there is an issue.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by marklar182
No proof. I have been going to the same Audi Service Dept since 2003, so they trust/believe me when there is an issue.
That is nice. I've been to the local service center only once. Let's see. Hope o don't need any visits other than the routine service.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

No freezing here. I did have the rear camera stay on for some time after I had already started moving forward, but that seems to be common with Audis. Happened with my S5 as well. I just pushed the Media button forward and the tunes came back on the screen.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mmi freezing

My 2017 a 4 has freezed with nav, rear csmera numerous tined
Old 03-23-2018, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My MMI has never gotten stuck/froze. But I’ve had another issue and I’m not sure if anybody else had it.

A few thousand miles/couple of months ago, I was driving down the highway when suddenly the speedometer and stuff on my VC disappeared and the entire VC had the map (navigation) on it (It was set to normal view where the speedo and tacho was full sized and it was on the first general info tab; during the crash everything on the VC disappeared except for the map which looked like it was “beneath” the screen which showed the tacho, speedo and other details. I’m not a techy person so I don’t know the exact term. Underlay?). After a second or two the entire VC went blank. All the backlights on the center console went off too I think. And then a few seconds later the red door lights lit up, the VC started coming back on slowly (the tacho and speedo appeared but no needles or numbers, just the rings. Also all the dashboard warning lights were on). The warning lights disappeared and everything went back to normal as though nothing happened. The MMI screen was working normal and music was playing from my wife’s iPhone without any interruption. I pulled over and scanned using obd and found a lot of errors saying a lot of modules had crashed or something of that sort (lemme check if I have screenshots of the errors). I cleared the errors since everything appeared fine. Car drove normally during this “reset”. I thought it was a weird glitch but didn’t think too much of it and hoped that was the first and last time it happened.

A few days back the exact same thing happened again. The entire shutdown-restart took around 10 seconds. This time I didn’t scan the car. I’m sure the errors are still present. I just haven’t found time to take it to the dealer yet.

Has anybody experienced anything similar?

Last edited by VipinLJ; 03-23-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
My MMI has never gotten stuck/froze. But I’ve had another issue and I’m not sure if anybody else had it.

A few thousand miles/couple of months ago, I was driving down the highway when suddenly the speedometer and stuff on my VC disappeared and the entire VC had the map (navigation) on it (It was set to normal view where the speedo and tacho was full sized and it was on the first general info tab; during the crash everything on the VC disappeared except for the map which looked like it was “beneath” the screen which showed the tacho, speedo and other details. I’m not a techy person so I don’t know the exact term. Underlay?). After a second or two the entire VC went blank. All the backlights on the center console went off too I think. And then a few seconds later the red door lights lit up, the VC started coming back on slowly (the tacho and speedo appeared but no needles or numbers, just the rings. Also all the dashboard warning lights were on). The warning lights disappeared and everything went back to normal as though nothing happened. The MMI screen was working normal and music was playing from my wife’s iPhone without any interruption. I pulled over and scanned using obd and found a lot of errors saying a lot of modules had crashed or something of that sort (lemme check if I have screenshots of the errors). I cleared the errors since everything appeared fine. Car drove normally during this “reset”. I thought it was a weird glitch but didn’t think too much of it and hoped that was the first and last time it happened.

A few days back the exact same thing happened again. The entire shutdown-restart took around 10 seconds. This time I didn’t scan the car. I’m sure the errors are still present. I just haven’t found time to take it to the dealer yet.

Has anybody experienced anything similar?
So this thing happened for the third time today. Like maybe 100 miles of driving after the previous incidence. Now it is beginning to worry me slightly. Does anybody have any idea why this could be happening?