A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Navigation without the Audi connect plan

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by samsj
does the Audi maps or the Google earth overlay show current traffic conditions I.e green for clear, red for congestion. In Google earth there is bunch of colors, it's hard to figure out. After Audi connect expires will it not work?
Audi maps shows green, orange and red for traffic with or without the Google Earth overlay. You will not have any traffic information on the Audi maps if you don't subscribe to Audi Connect.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

I found the traffic info on the Audi/Google earth map is way behind. Quite often, I can clearly see the traffic with my Phone's google map showing red even towards dark red while google earth on the MMI still shows green or yellow.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

A bit off topic, but related. Here's an interesting article on how Google Maps and Waze are actually making overall traffic worse. This is something I've predicated a while back and is a side effect of large masses using the same navigation apps. You can often be faster if you use a different app/system that uses a different algorithm. This is not just happening here in the SF Bay Area, but it's a growing headache everywhere.

Driving apps like Waze are creating new traffic problems | KALW
Old 04-08-2017, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map Updates

I finally received a response from Audi, using "chat", regarding map updates after the first 2-1/2 years of free downloads. It went like this ---

4/8/2017 10:53:58 PM Lisa B: Hello! My name is Lisa B. How can I help you?

4/8/2017 10:54:38 PM Richard Quinley: Under the MyAudi web sites Map Updates service, it states "The latest map updates can be downloaded here free of charge and then installed in the vehicle via SD card. You can download and install the updates an unlimited number of times. The Map Update includes the first five updates to the version of the map installed at the factory." So, after the first five updates in 2-1/2 years, how are maps updated and what will it cost to download updates?

4/8/2017 10:57:17 PM Lisa B: It will have to be done at the dealership so the cost will vary from dealer to dealer

4/8/2017 10:59:35 PM Richard Quinley: My dealership's salesman advised me that it would cost $400 - $500 for the dealer to do a map update. This sounds absolutely ridiculous!

4/8/2017 11:00:22 PM Lisa B: I would check with service to get a better idea of the cost since this is something done through the service department and not sales
Old 04-09-2017, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rquinley
I finally received a response from Audi, using "chat", regarding map updates after the first 2-1/2 years of free downloads. It went like this ---

4/8/2017 10:53:58 PM Lisa B: Hello! My name is Lisa B. How can I help you?

4/8/2017 10:54:38 PM Richard Quinley: Under the MyAudi web sites Map Updates service, it states "The latest map updates can be downloaded here free of charge and then installed in the vehicle via SD card. You can download and install the updates an unlimited number of times. The Map Update includes the first five updates to the version of the map installed at the factory." So, after the first five updates in 2-1/2 years, how are maps updated and what will it cost to download updates?

4/8/2017 10:57:17 PM Lisa B: It will have to be done at the dealership so the cost will vary from dealer to dealer

4/8/2017 10:59:35 PM Richard Quinley: My dealership's salesman advised me that it would cost $400 - $500 for the dealer to do a map update. This sounds absolutely ridiculous!

4/8/2017 11:00:22 PM Lisa B: I would check with service to get a better idea of the cost since this is something done through the service department and not sales
F'ing thieves! Why on earth would it have to be done at the dealer other than to allow them to grossly overcharge you? Unbelievable.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

$400 to do a map update? Jesus Christ. I'd rather live without nav or use the old map than spend that much for a map update!!!!!
Old 04-09-2017, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Map Updates

With anticipation that after the 2-1/2 years of free updates I will get absolutely shagged to purchase them, I looked into the Android Auto app to use Google Maps, which are constantly updated, at no cost. This works fine for navigation but the catch is it displays on the center screen but not the "Virtual Cockpit" screen for which I paid big extra bucks to have. Hopefully all of us A4 owners will find some 3rd party that can provide updates at a reasonable cost. I thought I was getting ripped off by Nissan charging $150 for my Altima map updates.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

In that exchange, Audi customer service (Lisa) did not say it would be $400-$500. Richard told her that his salesman said it would be that amount. Lisa said it is done through service rather than sales and that Richard should check with the service department rather than relying on what the salesman said.

Now it could be that the service department says the same thing, but until someone from Audi or the service department provides a number we won't know. Lisa's response also suggests that it could be up to individual service departments to determine what they will charge. If that's the case, there may be opportunities to shop around.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Map Updates

No argument that the "$400 - $500" update cost is, at this point, heresay. I will be at my dealer's service department this Tuesday and will try and get a cost quote. Notwithstanding, why on earth doesn't Audi offer map updates by download to customers at a reasonable but known cost in the same manner as is done for customers still eligible for free updates?
Old 04-09-2017, 09:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Idea?! If our connect prime ends and we do need an update down the road in a few months or a year for a map, couldn't we just pay $199 for a new 6 month subscription and have all the features; including over the air wifi map update for having prime again?

This is what I read on Audi's website at least... 5th Bullet Down.

"Enhance your experience with a robust offering of services. $199 for 6 months or $499 for 18 months.

Find your way
  • Google Earth™
  • Google Street View™
  • Google Voice Search™
  • myAudi Destinations
  • Over-the-Air Map Data Updates
  • Audi Semi-Dynamic Route Guidance with INRIX XD® Traffic3 "

Quick Reply: Navigation without the Audi connect plan