Notices
A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on a turbo repair

Old 10-11-2017, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Need advice on a turbo repair

Ok, so the other day was driving up a mountain road to work (do this almost daily) I had to pass someone and got up to probably 5500 RPM and immediately after I got off the gas I get a drive malfunction error and CEL. I check the code and it is an electrical error in the charge pressure actuator and now my car lives in limp mode. So my car is APR tuned and TD1 flagged so I took it to the tuner I go to and a while back Audi had apparently wiped the tune back to stock. They tuned it back to see if the updated software would correct it and it did not, and they're running more electrical tests. Question is since it is electrical and not mechanical, is there any chance that I could take this to audi and have them cover it? If not does anybody know if the wastegate on the B9 can be replaced separately from the turbo?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If youíre flagged in the system, good luck getting Audi to do anything for you...especially a turbo after a custom tune.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:32 AM
vgt
AudiWorld Member

<- Notes another reason to avoid APR.

If the dealer did flash the tune back to stock, you might be able to argue with them about the turbo failure occurring on a stock tune. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. Sucks man.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by vgt View Post
<- Notes another reason to avoid APR.

If the dealer did flash the tune back to stock, you might be able to argue with them about the turbo failure occurring on a stock tune. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. Sucks man.
I should have just flashed back to stock for the oil change that flagged me, I just didn't think that they would be doing recall work and updating software.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:45 AM
vgt
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mitchfin View Post
I should have just flashed back to stock for the oil change that flagged me, I just didn't think that they would be doing recall work and updating software.
Is flashing back something you can do on your own, or do you have to go to an APR place for it? Do they charge each flash? My last car I could flash back and forth at will with a device.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by vgt View Post
Is flashing back something you can do on your own, or do you have to go to an APR place for it? Do they charge each flash? My last car I could flash back and forth at will with a device.
No, you have to go to an APR shop, they all charge or don't charge different amounts, mine is $50
Old 10-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was told, whether true or not, by my Audi dealer that every time you take your car in for service they do a full scan and apply any available updates.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well the turbo was deemed bad by this shop, they want $2800 for the new turbo+labor. Iím going to try to get Audi to cover it since itís electrical not mechanical and occurred while it was unflashed, long shot I know. But I have a hard time believing I need to replace the whole thing from one bad electrical component.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mitchfin View Post
Well the turbo was deemed bad by this shop, they want $2800 for the new turbo+labor. Iím going to try to get Audi to cover it since itís electrical not mechanical and occurred while it was unflashed, long shot I know. But I have a hard time believing I need to replace the whole thing from one bad electrical component.
Because I'm APR tuned also I was just looking into the charger pressure actuator price out of fear mine will go bad at some point. It seems the actuator can't be purchased separately. That said the cost of a complete oem turbo (including the actuator) is $1217. Seems like they are dinging you at $2800. Hopefully Audi picks up part of the cost if not all of it.

BTW. I just had my first service and didn't get a TD1 and they didn't flash me back to stock. They didn't mess with my OBD11 changes either.

https://www.audipartssupply.com/auto...omponents-scat
Old 10-11-2017, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tuned my new TT with APR and have been in for service/warranty work now 5 times, including software updates. Car is not flagged, tune is still present. Every dealer is different in their attitude towards a tune and there process on software updates during service visits. Everyone will have their own experience based on a particular store.

Is it a bummer, yes. But if this happened to me I would try to keep in in perspective. The added performance the tune brings to my face is almost priceless, to the point a replaced turbo is still worth the added enjoyment of the extra power!!! We all know this scenario is a possibility when tuned, and it's a risk. Some find it worth it, others do not. I'd try and talk face to face with your dealer and see what happens....the worst they can say is no. Or try working with another dealership who maybe be more sympathetic to you, the worst they can say is no.

Sorry for your frustration and wish you a the cheapest outcome possible!

Search this Thread