A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

need help with obdeleven coding - auto high beams

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default need help with obdeleven coding - auto high beams

Hi all,
I have an A5 sportback and just picked up an OBD11. I found the coding, below, to enable auto high beams (or high beam assist) but am getting an error (pictured) in the A5 module when trying to save with “high beam assist”. The error message would lead me to believe I need to set something else besides these settings to get this to work - there’s a prerequisite I don’t have set. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and found a solution. BTW - I did a firmware update when first plugging in the OBD11, so should be on the latest app and firmware.

Thanks for any help! -Randy

STG 09 - high_beam_functions -> head_light_assistant
STG A5 - AFS_coding_light_assist -> head_light_assistant – getting an error when changing this
STG 09 - mmi_fla_glw_mxb -> active

Old 06-29-2018, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

I used the instructions below which seem to be the same. I had a problem using the easy text system for Active Lane Assist so I had to use the Byte and Bits method. You may want to try that. Its not very intuitive at first but once you do it, it is.

Control unit 09 (central electrical system)> high_beam_funktions> head_light_assistant

(VCDS: set byte 5, bit 5 and bit 6 to 1)

Control unit A5 (sensors)> afs_coding_light_assist> high_beam_assist

(VCDS: byte 21, set bit 5 to 1)

Control unit 09 (central electrical system)> mmi_fla_glw_mxb> active

(VCDS: byte 5, set bit 0 to 1)
Old 06-30-2018, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by caranddriver
I used the instructions below which seem to be the same. I had a problem using the easy text system for Active Lane Assist so I had to use the Byte and Bits method. You may want to try that. Its not very intuitive at first but once you do it, it is.

Control unit 09 (central electrical system)> high_beam_funktions> head_light_assistant

(VCDS: set byte 5, bit 5 and bit 6 to 1)

Control unit A5 (sensors)> afs_coding_light_assist> high_beam_assist

(VCDS: byte 21, set bit 5 to 1)

Control unit 09 (central electrical system)> mmi_fla_glw_mxb> active

(VCDS: byte 5, set bit 0 to 1)
Thanks very much. I haven't figured out how to get into the bite,byte coding with this device, is it somewhere in the "long coding" screen? I'm a former vcds user so have coded with this method on that device, just need to figure out how to get to that option and I'll give this a try.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by future S4
Thanks very much. I haven't figured out how to get into the bite,byte coding with this device, is it somewhere in the "long coding" screen? I'm a former vcds user so have coded with this method on that device, just need to figure out how to get to that option and I'll give this a try.
When you're in the long coding menu of whatever module you're looking to change, you'll see a 0-1 in a couple boxes at the top of the screen. That will switch between bit/byte coding and standard.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by alexdsheff

When you're in the long coding menu of whatever module you're looking to change, you'll see a 0-1 in a couple boxes at the top of the screen. That will switch between bit/byte coding and standard.
Great - thanks!
Old 06-30-2018, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great - thanks!
Was away from the computer for a bit, did the direction from the poster above get it working?
Old 07-01-2018, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Was away from the computer for a bit, did the direction from the poster above get it working?
unfortunately, no. I checked all of the bits that were set by the text helper and they were correct. But after setting the bit in the A5 module, I got the same error message. I guess there's something different about my system or the software version, don't know. Hoping someone else has solved this!

PS - just wondering, I've been making these changes with the car running and the headlights in the auto position, wonder if that's the problem? I'll try it tonight with the car on but not running....

Last edited by future S4; 07-01-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just wanted to follow-up on this. I tried the coding to module A5 with the engine off and lights also off. So just the ignition on. Took the coding with no problem, so that must have been the issue. Will check functionality when it gets dark tonight, but pretty anxious to see how this works! Thanks to all for the help.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just wanted to follow-up on this. I tried the coding to module A5 with the engine off and lights also off. So just the ignition on. Took the coding with no problem, so that must have been the issue. Will check functionality when it gets dark tonight, but pretty anxious to see how this works! Thanks to all for the help.
Glad that it worked. I do all my coding with ignition on, but engine off. Do you code with the engine? Auto high beam for me is pretty useless in my heavily urban area, it just senses so much oncoming light that it is off 95% of the time and since it only works at a minimum speed that it doesn't work when I most want to use it in poorly lit neighborhoods and city streets.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Glad that it worked. I do all my coding with ignition on, but engine off. Do you code with the engine? Auto high beam for me is pretty useless in my heavily urban area, it just senses so much oncoming light that it is off 95% of the time and since it only works at a minimum speed that it doesn't work when I most want to use it in poorly lit neighborhoods and city streets.
Well, yeah, I've only been coding with the OBD11 for a week or so, and it's been so hot here of late sitting in the car without the a/c running hasn't been much fun. Everything else I've done (which isn't all that much) worked fine with the engine running. But doing it your way with just the ignition on makes more sense!

I'm in a much more rural area than you (Bucks County Pa) and commute about 40 miles each way to work in NJ, mostly on country roads. Avoiding the wildlife in the winter can be a challenge, so this feature has the promise of being a great safety feature if it works well. Can't wait to find out!

Quick Reply: need help with obdeleven coding - auto high beams