A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

need help with obdeleven coding - auto high beams

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by future S4
Well, yeah, I've only been coding with the OBD11 for a week or so, and it's been so hot here of late sitting in the car without the a/c running hasn't been much fun. Everything else I've done (which isn't all that much) worked fine with the engine running. But doing it your way with just the ignition on makes more sense!

I'm in a much more rural area than you (Bucks County Pa) and commute about 40 miles each way to work in NJ, mostly on country roads. Avoiding the wildlife in the winter can be a challenge, so this feature has the promise of being a great safety feature if it works well. Can't wait to find out!
did it work?
Old 07-26-2018, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beams don’t work

I coded my car for auto high beams and now my high beams will not work. If try to flash them, nothing happens and the auto high beam turn on nothing.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SWelsch
did it work?
yes, it's working great. Very responsive to oncoming headlights and dims quickly, then goes right back to high beams. I'm impressed!
Old 07-30-2018, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tried coating my A8 with this and now I've got an error message. Tells me no basic setting for headlights. Any thoughts?
Old 11-11-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SWelsch
Tried coating my A8 with this and now I've got an error message. Tells me no basic setting for headlights. Any thoughts?
I'm no expert, but I had that same issue on my 2016 TTS (Prestige Package with "Full LED Headlights") It's my understanding that North American cars do not have the ability to activate High Beam Assistant unless you have the "Matrix LED" light package. Using the "Basic Settings" in group 55 for Xenon MQB will get you back to normal if necessary.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I forgot to mention that the "Basic Settings - Xenon MQB" was completed in VCDS and got me back to normal. Also, for what it's worth and again to the best of my knowledge, you need to have the front facing camera to have the ability to enable High Beam Assistant.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Just updated my VCDS and implement the auto high beams. Made a mistake the first time around and set the wrong bit on module A5, once I fixed that error they worked perfectly.

I used the Byte/bit coding rather than the easy text. Even though I work with and program computers all of the time this was a little nerve wracking. Fortunately setting the wrong bit in A5 did not have any consequences.

I also enabled the gear display in the VC - that was easy because it was just a pull down adaptation.

I am not sure I want to try Active Lane Assist. I would love to have it but I think I also want the stalk control to turn it off. I find myself fighting with the ALA on my wife's Subaru when on back roads or when passing pedestrians and cyclists. I tend to turn off of the steering assist in those conditions. Maybe if I buy the car when the lease is up I will pick up the multifunction switch with the ALA toggle and make the swap.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
I am not sure I want to try Active Lane Assist. I would love to have it but I think I also want the stalk control to turn it off. I find myself fighting with the ALA on my wife's Subaru when on back roads or when passing pedestrians and cyclists. I tend to turn off of the steering assist in those conditions. Maybe if I buy the car when the lease is up I will pick up the multifunction switch with the ALA toggle and make the swap.
The ALA in the A4 can be just as finicky. One specific case is on roads where there are 2 left turn lanes on the opposite side of the intersection and the dashed lines continue through the intersection to the road on your right. When driving straight through these intersections, the car will try to pull you out of your lane (to the right, if I remember correctly).

I did the coding, but just leave it off turned off under normal driving. I keep the OBDeleven dongle in my center console in case I ever want to turn it on for a long highway road trip or something.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BeefJerky
The ALA in the A4 can be just as finicky. One specific case is on roads where there are 2 left turn lanes on the opposite side of the intersection and the dashed lines continue through the intersection to the road on your right. When driving straight through these intersections, the car will try to pull you out of your lane (to the right, if I remember correctly).

I did the coding, but just leave it off turned off under normal driving. I keep the OBDeleven dongle in my center console in case I ever want to turn it on for a long highway road trip or something.
This is what I do as well. Once you program ALA, there is only one setting to turn it off and on so it's pretty easy.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JASDAC
I'm no expert, but I had that same issue on my 2016 TTS (Prestige Package with "Full LED Headlights") It's my understanding that North American cars do not have the ability to activate High Beam Assistant unless you have the "Matrix LED" light package. Using the "Basic Settings" in group 55 for Xenon MQB will get you back to normal if necessary.
trying to get to “Basic Settings” to reset my headlights after lowering my 2016 Q5 - unfortunately I’m getting hung up when a pop up screen comes up asking me to enter a “channel” number. How do I know what channel? or, is there a way to bypass the channel no entry?

thanks.