A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

New Windshield Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it's worth, the people that do the glass for North Scottsdale Audi (Penske) told me the recalibration is $850. I haven't taken my car in yet so haven't seen any invoices, but that's what they said.
I just had a big metal rod fly into my windshield today from a truck. I chased the guy down and told him and he told me "aw bull*it" and then took off turning right quickly. Anyway, got lucky that seems the only place it hit was my windshield.
I have full glass coverage no deductible, and they cover the recalibration. Ordered windshield today, they'll have in in two days.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to replace my windshield last month. The total cost was just about 1100. The windshield was OEM from Audi and cost about 900 or so based on what I saw on their invoice, the rest was labor. Either I was charged very little for the calibration or not done at all, either way I was very careful for the first few days driving, making sure no false alarms on pre-sense, active lane, etc.. I have had no problems. Just sounds strange to me the high cost of the calibration.

Note I did contact my local Audi dealer at that time, I wanted them to replace the windshield figuring they would be the most familiar with camera and what was required, they refered me to the local company I used in Richmond,va. Audi Dealer said they did all windowshield replacements for the dealer and they were experienced and knowledgable about the camera systems, etc.. in Audi.

I will say I had second thoughts dropping my car off for the repair. However as I looked around, the place was full with cars much nicer than my A4 getting windshields replaced. At one point, they had me come into the shop to show me the new windshield before installation (audi made a slight change to what the guys called the 3rd visor at the top of the window after my car was built July/16, so that was slightly different than original; had they not told me, I would haven't noticed it) just so I can say I was ok with them proceeding. That's when I saw all the different windshields they had waiting for installation on other cars, lots of them had different brackets, etc.. where a camera would be. Bottom line, my second thoughts went away quickly, and everything has been fine since.

Might not be what you want to hear, but I thought it was worth sharing.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I get my windshield done tomorrow. Going to have them do it in the shop, it's snowing here in Denver. I asked them how much the windshield was and they said around $800. I'll let you know how it goes. Going to have the dealership do the camera on Monday along with the recall. Means they will give me a loaner.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013
I get my windshield done tomorrow. Going to have them do it in the shop, it's snowing here in Denver. I asked them how much the windshield was and they said around $800. I'll let you know how it goes. Going to have the dealership do the camera on Monday along with the recall. Means they will give me a loaner.

Do not remove the wire of camera when switching the windshield so that you do not need to recalibrate the front camera. The windshield would cost $744 plus tax. By the way, you probably have to replace the rain sensor gel so that would be an extra cost.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done my windshield replacement a couple of months ago. Here's a pic of what have done and the costs.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's all though insurance. They are paying for everything.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

My calibration, which they said requires a 4 wheel alignment, was $800. Insurance picked up the tab for that and the glass as part of my zero deductible glass coverage.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lsbuffs
My calibration, which they said requires a 4 wheel alignment, was $800. Insurance picked up the tab for that and the glass as part of my zero deductible glass coverage.
Dude...I think they where seriously ripping off your insurance. One, it doesn't require a wheel alignment (but heck if you got one out of it congrats) they also wrote on the invoice that you requested the wheel alignment. Two, they charged a lot. Was that for the windshield as well or just the recalibration and alignment? My recalibration was $278.00 and another $87.10 because they had to redo the gel pad. The company that put in my windshield put on a dirty gel pad or dirt got onto it, either way had to be replaced.

Last edited by Strife1013; 05-24-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dude...I think they where seriously ripping off your insurance. One, it doesn't require a wheel alignment (but heck if you got one out of it congrats) they also wrote on the invoice that you requested the wheel alignment. Two, they charged a lot. Was that for the windshield as well or just the recalibration and alignment? My recalibration was $278.00 and another $87.10 because they had to redo the gel pad. The company that put in my windshield put on a dirty gel pad or dirt got onto it, either way had to be replaced.
The $800 was for the recalibration only and did not include the cost of the windshield replacement. Definitely a lot of money. I'm surprised your Audi dealer could complete the required procedures for $278 as I understand they're labor-intensive.

Doesn't require a wheel alignment? I too was surprised when the dealer told me about it, and I did not request it (the dealer just put that wording about "customer requests" on the invoice), but Audi's procedures do call for a wheel alignment computer.

Last edited by lsbuffs; 05-24-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if the windshield replacement cost is affected by having the HUD? My dealer is telling me not to get that option since it doubles the cost of the windshield if it needs to be replaced.

I'm definitely getting the assisted driving options so sounds like a replacement would be high anyway.

Quick Reply: New Windshield Question