A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

New Windshield Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbuffs
The $800 was for the recalibration only and did not include the cost of the windshield replacement. Definitely a lot of money. I'm surprised your Audi dealer could complete the required procedures for $278 as I understand they're labor-intensive.

Doesn't require a wheel alignment? I too was surprised when the dealer told me about it, and I did not request it (the dealer just put that wording about "customer requests" on the invoice), but Audi's procedures do call for a wheel alignment computer.

Ahh just looked at your sig. I don't have DAP so that's where the difference is. Although everything in DAP can be activated via VAGCOM except ACC in a prestige model. Who knows.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rob1234
Anyone know if the windshield replacement cost is affected by having the HUD? My dealer is telling me not to get that option since it doubles the cost of the windshield if it needs to be replaced.

I'm definitely getting the assisted driving options so sounds like a replacement would be high anyway.
My windshield that has HUD cost like $800 and it's Audi OEM. Just get full glass coverage and have piece of mind!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I get to join this fun party as well. With just over 2,000 miles on mine I got hit with a rock right in the middle of my windshield on the highway. It was quite a loud noise. For a day it was just a bulls-eye, but has progressed to a nice long crack up and down from it as well. I submitted the claim and am waiting to hear back from the adjuster on what the coverage is for all of the other stuff that goes along with it - I too find this interesting when I have full glass coverage. To me it's like they damage something else while doing a job and then don't want to cover it. Maybe they will surprise me when they call me back. I guess not enough people have HUD's for them to have the answer right away.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KK in CT
Well, I get to join this fun party as well. With just over 2,000 miles on mine I got hit with a rock right in the middle of my windshield on the highway. It was quite a loud noise. For a day it was just a bulls-eye, but has progressed to a nice long crack up and down from it as well. I submitted the claim and am waiting to hear back from the adjuster on what the coverage is for all of the other stuff that goes along with it - I too find this interesting when I have full glass coverage. To me it's like they damage something else while doing a job and then don't want to cover it. Maybe they will surprise me when they call me back. I guess not enough people have HUD's for them to have the answer right away.
I honestly don't think HUD adds THAT much more to replace a windshield. I just got my check from my insurance today that paid for the camera recalibration. Gotta love full coverage glass insurance!
Old 06-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Strife1013
I honestly don't think HUD adds THAT much more to replace a windshield. I just got my check from my insurance today that paid for the camera recalibration. Gotta love full coverage glass insurance!
Well for my insurance company, they actually third party all of their glass only repair work. When you select glass only from their menu, you go right to Safelite glass company - you're no longer within the insurance companies phone system. I had to select another option to talk to someone from the insurance company who wrote up my claim to have an adjuster do it the correct way (to ask Audi about putting everything back correctly with OEM glass and to have the Driver's Assistance Package recalibrated properly). Safelite wanted to come to the parking lot of my office with their own glass to do the job - I don't think so. I can appreciate that will work for most, but it's annoying for those that need to speak to someone. Had to get my agent involved with multiple phone calls. Now waiting for the adjuster to call me back after he talks to the Audi dealership about everything that needs to be done.

I agree, I do love full coverage glass insurance, now they better live up to that - they should not be surprised as to what is entailed as the VIN number provided at the time of the insurance quote gave them all the information they needed. That's what we are all paying the premiums for...
Old 06-03-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KK in CT
Well for my insurance company, they actually third party all of their glass only repair work. When you select glass only from their menu, you go right to Safelite glass company - you're no longer within the insurance companies phone system. I had to select another option to talk to someone from the insurance company who wrote up my claim to have an adjuster do it the correct way (to ask Audi about putting everything back correctly with OEM glass and to have the Driver's Assistance Package recalibrated properly). Safelite wanted to come to the parking lot of my office with their own glass to do the job - I don't think so. I can appreciate that will work for most, but it's annoying for those that need to speak to someone. Had to get my agent involved with multiple phone calls. Now waiting for the adjuster to call me back after he talks to the Audi dealership about everything that needs to be done.

I agree, I do love full coverage glass insurance, now they better live up to that - they should not be surprised as to what is entailed as the VIN number provided at the time of the insurance quote gave them all the information they needed. That's what we are all paying the premiums for...
I have State Farm and they work with a third party as well. It was pretty easy. I paid out of pocket for the camera and they sent me a check for it after I gave Star Farm the invoice. As for the glass company I was able to pick anyone. My Audi dealership doesn't do glass and they work with a third party. I picked a glass company and they called the dealership to get the glass ordered through the warehouse and the glass got to the installer in about 3 business days or so.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sometimes I wish the phone reps were allowed to go "off-script" for a second and problem solve. It would be so much easier. Today I was told I had to be contacted by this third party shop that would setup a time where I could bring the car in for a free estimate, then I could take the car anywhere to get the windshield fixed. I tried to tell the nice woman that it didn't make sense but I couldn't get her to stop reading. So the guy calls and sets up a time for me to stop by after work. I figure it's on my way home I'll make everyone happy they can check the box on their sheet and move on so I can get this thing fixed.

So I'm typing up my email to my agent to get in writing that I don't want any issues later on (bringing in an estimate from this other shop that is incomplete and inaccurate) when Audi is stuck trying to do a repair based off of an estimate from a shop that is unaware of what is involved to put everything back correctly after the windshield repair. At the same time, the guy from the shop calls me and tells me he called the insurance company and told them not to make me come there for an estimate as it's a waste of everyone's time as he could replace the glass but then would need to take the car to Audi to have them do the rest of the work anyway.

So, now I'm waiting to hear back from the insurance agent - they are finally dealing directly with Audi and are going to allow all of the work to be done right there as it should be, with no deductible or out of pocket. So a week after I submit the claim, we get to where we could have been right away. But starting to read online some of what goes into this job, I am glad for full glass coverage. There was no hesitation on the full coverage from them which was nice.