A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Not sure what the approach is here... big chip in hood from flying rock

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Not sure what the approach is here... big chip in hood from flying rock

Last night on the highway I had about a 2 minute cussing session as a guy cut me off on the highway in a truck and his tire also picked up a big rock that made the chip in the below picture. Thankfully came in such a way that it didn't have much downward momentum to cause a dent or crack my windshield in the followup...

After some strong moonshine and the Raptors coming back for a sick win... I calmed down

Now... what do I do about this?
1) Chip repair? Is this too big to patch up with dr chip doctor? I also have the Audi 2 pen scratch cover for my scuba blue.
2) Repair the whole hood (i have a few other small chips on the front part of the hood), repaint, add the plastic thing that protects from chips. I've kept the car waxed and clean, and I park indoors at home and work, so I won't have any issues with regards different color fades from the fenders to the hood. Not sure what this would cost though... Anything more than like $500... hmmm. i dunno.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

A good body shop can fix it perfect for $200-300 (offer cash). Just get an estimate... but it looks like you can fill it with a pen and you’ll forget it’s even there in short time. Be happy it wasn’t your windshield lol
Old 05-26-2019, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah i’d get body shop to fix it / you won’t know it’s there. Then go and get PPF as a side note, I’ve noticed that I get cut off waaay more often in this car than any other car I’ve had, and it’s always by some POS truck or a rust bucket.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Definitely get full hood PPF done if you are going to refinish the whole thing, its worth the investment.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

If I were you, I would just use Dr. Colorchip and call it a day. I've used that on a few different cars, and horizontal surfaces like the hood work pretty well. It's also really easy to rub off if you don't like it (as long as you do that before it fully cures). Yes, you will be able to see the repair, but you're just going to get more hood dings anyway. I'd be even more irritated if I had the hood repainted and then got another chip in it.

But you might not share my philosophy about cars. I try to keep them clean and avoid damage, but in the end they are meant to be driven on public roads around people who don't care about their own cars - much less yours. After three or four years of ownership, every car is bound to have some blemishes. It sucks if something like this happens when a car is fairly new, but it's going to happen some day.

Last edited by SDakota; 05-26-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:11 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Have you had reasonable luck with your scuba blue touch-up paint? Mine was... darker than the original paint colour... and it gave me all kinds of trouble trying to touch up some scratches on the mirror.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Have you had reasonable luck with your scuba blue touch-up paint? Mine was... darker than the original paint colour... and it gave me all kinds of trouble trying to touch up some scratches on the mirror.
Thanks for all the replies folks. Regarding this... yeah, I have one ding on my driver side rear door towards the bottom third of it which was touched up. The touch comes out to the proper color BUT only when it's not in natural light. When it's in natural light and a bit of sun is coming through, you can tell there's a scratch there if you know where to look.
After some thought, I'm gonna do the touch up myself on the hood and call it a day. I don't have the cash to invest in a refinishing and PPF. I'd rather invest in that closer to when I sell the car.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree SDakota. I had a 2017 Mustang GT I bought new and babied the heck out of it. (Didn't drive in rain, Parked in BFE in parking lots, drove my other car 99% of the time.... the whole 9) One day, one of those in ground plastic signs for advertising or voting blew into the windshield on a very windy day and scratched it and I about had a stroke. I had the dealership remove the blemish across the glass for $100, but the hairline 3-4 scratches were still visible in certain lights like driving into the sun etc. Went to trade it in thinking my extra care merited perhaps some increased value over other examples (car had 6500 miles on it when sold in March 2019). No rock chips, no dents, immaculate interior that still smelled like when I test drove it. Not the case, got a good trade value but not what one would think and perhaps selling it myself I could've squeezed an extra $2k out of someone than what I got. When I think back on it though, the extra thousand or so I could've gotten doesn't really equate to the stresses of avoiding rain, making sure not to follow pickups, extra following distance, parking in China to get a single can of spray paint etc. I learned I would've much rather have accrued a couple of scratches and actually enjoyed using my car like it was intended, than worry about things, that in the grand scheme of things, don't matter to anyone but myself. My A6 has some tiny blemishes here and there that I'm sure nobody else would even notice, and I still touch up rock chips and the like, but I like to think my car is happier being used than sitting in my garage and I'm happier using it and not stressing hard about keeping it in show car condition. I say touch it up or pay a body shop to and then forget about it
Old 05-27-2019, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any dent repair shop can fix it like and probably for a lower an a full body shop.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SDakota
If I were you, I would just use Dr. Colorchip and call it a day. I've used that on a few different cars, and horizontal surfaces like the hood work pretty well. It's also really easy to rub off if you don't like it (as long as you do that before it fully cures). Yes, you will be able to see the repair, but you're just going to get more hood dings anyway. I'd be even more irritated if I had the hood repainted and then got another chip in it.

But you might not share my philosophy about cars. I try to keep them clean and avoid damage, but in the end they are meant to be driven on public roads around people who don't care about their own cars - much less yours. After three or four years of ownership, every car is bound to have some blemishes. It sucks if something like this happens when a car is fairly new, but it's going to happen some day.
Originally Posted by Tzvecl88
I agree SDakota. I had a 2017 Mustang GT I bought new and babied the heck out of it. (Didn't drive in rain, Parked in BFE in parking lots, drove my other car 99% of the time.... the whole 9) One day, one of those in ground plastic signs for advertising or voting blew into the windshield on a very windy day and scratched it and I about had a stroke. I had the dealership remove the blemish across the glass for $100, but the hairline 3-4 scratches were still visible in certain lights like driving into the sun etc. Went to trade it in thinking my extra care merited perhaps some increased value over other examples (car had 6500 miles on it when sold in March 2019). No rock chips, no dents, immaculate interior that still smelled like when I test drove it. Not the case, got a good trade value but not what one would think and perhaps selling it myself I could've squeezed an extra $2k out of someone than what I got. When I think back on it though, the extra thousand or so I could've gotten doesn't really equate to the stresses of avoiding rain, making sure not to follow pickups, extra following distance, parking in China to get a single can of spray paint etc. I learned I would've much rather have accrued a couple of scratches and actually enjoyed using my car like it was intended, than worry about things, that in the grand scheme of things, don't matter to anyone but myself. My A6 has some tiny blemishes here and there that I'm sure nobody else would even notice, and I still touch up rock chips and the like, but I like to think my car is happier being used than sitting in my garage and I'm happier using it and not stressing hard about keeping it in show car condition. I say touch it up or pay a body shop to and then forget about it

Tough question since I enjoy detailing my cars very much. And I take great care of them too. Currently I have the 17 Allroad and unless something happens to it, I intend to keep it for quite a while. I still park far away from the madding crowd at parking lots, have PPF and ceramic coating, wash and detail diligently, etc, etc. A few years ago I was rear ended by distracted drivers, last one was with my one month old 2017 A4. The first thing that came to mind when that happened and what I said to that driver who rear ended me was "you can't have anything nice today."

I drive into the city a few days a week and have a parking garage that a bunch of us use. For the last few years knowing what I do about what can and does happen in these way overcrowded garages who pay at most minimum wages to the staff, I go out of my way to schmooze them with bagels in the morning and pizza at night every month or so and a generous Christmas tip. It goes a long way with keeping my car protected - yet even with that I noticed some slight scrapes on the rear bumper - one as recently as the other day. Now in years past I would have made a huge issue of it, but I will simply remind them (again) to be more careful when backing up. Would I be more ticked off and aggressive if I would see someone roll a shopping cart into my car or open their door carelessly and bang my car, yep. I remember about 10 years ago I had my 2008 (new) black Q5. Long story short, the idiot landscaper used a leaf blower to clean my driveway - while my Q5 was there and literally marked up the sides and bumper. Had to be repainted. I took it to insurance and though he paid the $500.00 deductible when I went to sell the car back to Audi sometime later they noted that there was damage done (even though properly repaired) and gave me about 2k less. So these pings and dings, scratches and scrapes can have an effect on the car's $$$ value, not just my own "obsessive//sentimental" value.

So I will continue to take great care, but not stroke out too much with the pings and dings that almost inevitably will occur more so in crowded metro areas like NYC and NE NJ. But this is a also a daily driver which sits ungaraged 24/7 and though I love it, it's an Allroad not a Rolls Royce and I'm reminded of what my friend mentioned his mother told him - "the car belongs to the street" - ultimately that's a good way to look at it.