A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

OEM Pirelli P7 A/S tires in winter weather?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OEM Pirelli P7 A/S tires in winter weather?

Just curious if anyone can comment on how the stock Pirelli P7 all seasons (non plus) fare in winter weather, snow, and ice. Just got my B9 quattro and am a bit disappointed in the tire performance in the summer (my trade-in had nice Michelin PS A/S 3+), but am wondering if the P7s are okay in the winter. Living in the pacific NW, we don't see a lot of snow/ice (maybe 1-2 weeks in the winter), but when we do, having winter capability is great since roads don't get cleared well. All season tires are better than dedicated winter tires for the 35-40 deg rain we mostly see in the winter, so I am not that inclined to getting a dedicated winter set.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:27 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I got caught in the aftermath of a big ice storm a few days after taking off my winter tires, and I thought the P7 did okay...but I was also being extremely, extremely careful.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:30 AM
Scars & Memories

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am from the north east and when it snows i have a habit of finding myself in parking lots with the car whipping side ways- its an odd occurrence .... but even with that tread missing... tires have held up well for 3 year through many NE snow storms.... they're not Blizzaks but cautious driving + quattro - extremely manageable. Its not a RWD Hellcat so.

I would not find the need to upgrade the tire per se unless weather was more Nothern Canadian extremities but commuting purposes on reasonable tended too roads via city/state DOT, tires are okay.

I will say performance of 'All Seasons' in general have been shown time and time again, when tested to be crap in both extreme scenarios (Track/Heat and Winter/ice).
Old 07-20-2018, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Not something to take out in a heavy snow storm, but manageable in a light snow. On par with most All Season tires and the Quattro helps. Ice traction is none, so be very careful on ice coated surface.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Speaking from experience on my B8.5, the P7s were junk in the snow and had no ice traction at all. I ran a winter set of Michelin x-ice which are fantastic. In cold weather the pirellis are very hard which is no bueno for traction. I live in Colorado though, so we see all sorts of weather and temperature swings during the winter and it makes sense to have a winter set of tires because you can use them for 4-5 months.

My B9 allroad has the continental pro tx tires and I think they are better during winter weather. I coped with them last winter, but I still plan on getting a set of dedicated snows though.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thanks for the info, it sounds like I may be okay in a pinch if I am careful on snow/ice, but should avoid if possible. Fortunately we also have a Subaru with some winter capable tires (Nokian WRG3), which has served us well for the last few winters, ski trips, and summers too.