A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Parking brake and engine stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by vgt
If you come to a stop and just press the start/stop button, the car will shift to park, set the parking brake, and turn off.
For many of us on this forum, the parking brake only sets about 90% of the time. We have to set it manually the rest of the time.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
For many of us on this forum, the parking brake only sets about 90% of the time. We have to set it manually the rest of the time.
Absolutely.
I am completed puzzled !
I drove twice this afternoon.

The first time the parking brake was not activated.
The second time the parking brake was activated.

In both described situations, I had already unbuckled the seat belt before pushing the start/stop button.
In both situations I was alone in the car.

Later today, I will make another drive. I wonder what is going to happen...
Old 07-15-2017, 02:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will not give up.
I can't discover a logic in this.
Today I have stopped the car 5 times.

Times the parking brake was automatically activated after seat belt previously unbuckled
1.st time YES - 2.ed time YES - 3.ed time NO - 4.th time NO - 5.th time YES

I do not believe it is hazardous ! There must be something going on !
Old 07-16-2017, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ugh man I just mostly the trust the computer to know when to engage it. Only time I check it is if I'm on an incline and I think the car should have the extra lock to gold the car and relieve the transmission and it's usually, but not always, automatically set, and when it's not I just set it myself.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just pull the parking brake button on reflex...since it's not far from where my parking brake handle is on my Accord of 17 years...
What messes with me, is when the ignition automatically turns off as soon as I'm in park, and I hit the start/stop button, and start the car back up....and then I gotta turn it back off like a goober. ^_^
Old 07-18-2017, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Start / Stop drives me insane. And I refuse to have to kill it manually for every drive cycle.

I bought a device from Kufatec USA to permanently kill it. Was $25 plus $25 DHL shipping from Germany to the US and it arrived in 3 days. Plugs into the OBDII port once kill it and once to set it back to the default. Works like a charm. I'd post a link to it but firewall at work is blocking me. Search Kufatec USA if interested.

I believe the ODB2 device people mention here can also do the same thing.

Anyway, result is no more stop / start and no repercussions except smooth sailing.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmmm, yeah, after $50, I might as well get the OBDEleven and tweak a few other settings...
Old 07-18-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by LoPan12
What messes with me, is when the ignition automatically turns off as soon as I'm in park, and I hit the start/stop button, and start the car back up....and then I gotta turn it back off like a goober. ^_^
What we're saying here is you never have to hit the 'park' button. Get the car positioned, hit 'start/stop'. That puts the car in park and most of the time sets the parking brake.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LoPan12
Hmmm, yeah, after $50, I might as well get the OBDEleven and tweak a few other settings...
I thought about that but I don't know anything about ODB2 or whatever but I've used and trusted Kufatec for years to not screw anything up via a tweak on a new model that has new firmware / coding and that was (and still is?) apparently stumping the folks at Ross-Tech.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lowjdml
What we're saying here is you never have to hit the 'park' button. Get the car positioned, hit 'start/stop'. That puts the car in park and most of the time sets the parking brake.
Park-brake-key is a very hard habitual sequence to break! I've been trying though!
I guess I've never tried, and I will probably forget to try forget next time i park, but if I hit stop, and shut it all off, will hitting the parking brake still engage it? If anyone knows off the top of their head. Now that I've asked, I might remember to try...

Quick Reply: Parking brake and engine stop