A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

perspective A4 buyer, would love some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default perspective A4 buyer, would love some help

I'm considering purchasing a new A4 ( Premium Plus, Manual, Scuba/Rock Gray) and I'm stuck on a few issues and welcome all comments and opinions.

Virtual cockpit vs 7" color display- No doubt VC is one of the cooler things I have seen in a car in a long while. I know there is the Google Earth issue in '20 so unless anyone has a crystal ball we'll put that aside for now (IMHO it goes away permanently) I'm more interested in what the 7" color driver information actually provides in way of information? I think in a perfect world I'd be able to have the 8.3 display w/o having the VC/Nav upcharge.

18 vs 19 wheels- Summer tires on the 19 is a PITA, but from a handling standpoint is the prospect of having to change tires twice a year worth it? Durability of the two sizes vs potholes or other road hazards? I have 17's on my 03 330i and I feel like those get beat up already by large pothole. We have good to decent roads for the most part but every now again there are hazards that make me think I might have bent a rim...that being in context for the above.

Dynamic steering- What's the benefit and is it available as a stand alone option that I can installed after purchase? I realty don't like the other elements of the package.

I'd love to hear about what you think I might be missing, your pet peeves with the car or things that may have unexpectedly made you smile from ear to ear.

Thanks, Chris
Old 05-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

And also, thoughts on waiting for the 2019 vs buying a 2019.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

also....how do I edit a post? lol
Old 05-07-2018, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The display size difference is so negligible it's a non-issue. Virtual cockpit has the wow-factor and is convenient but is also somewhat of a gimmick since you can do everything from the regular display. Most dealer inventory will probably have the VC/Nav option on the majority of their Premium Plus stock anyway.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree about the redundancy....and the wow factor. I think the larger screen is more aesthetically pleasing given the horizontal lines of the interior. I don't even have a aux audio input on my 330i, so frankly I'd guess that I could live without all of it.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a prestige A4 in order and if it wasn’t for virtual cockpit , B&O Sound “both included in technology package” and some driver assistant features, I would have got an A6 for the same price. The A6 2.OT is one second slower than the A4 and almost has the same MPG.
Dynamic steering is part of sport plus package and can not be ordered separately for the 2018 MY.

You will definitely feel the road imperfections more with 19s and they are more prone to get damaged because of the lower profile tires.

Last edited by marz1; 05-07-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:00 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CKPW
And also, thoughts on waiting for the 2019 vs buying a 2019.
Are there any cars matching that description in inventory? Blue, grey interior, MT, and a sport plus package (if that can be combined with the grey interior?) strikes me as something that would be very rare... and I believe it's too late to order a 2018. So 2019 it might have to be...
Old 05-07-2018, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by marz1
I have a prestige A4 in order and if it wasn’t for virtual cockpit , B&O Sound “both included in technology package” and some driver assistant features, I would have got an A6 for the same price. The A6 2.OT is one second slower than the A4 and almost has the same MPG.
Dynamic steering is part of sport plus package and can not be ordered separately for the 2018 MY.

You will definitely feel the road imperfections more with 19s and they are more prone to get damaged because of the lower profile tires.
I have a 2017 PP Quattro and agree with most of this. I think most people are happy with the B&O system and think its a worthwhile upgrade to the standard audio system, which gets a lot flak. The VC is very cool but its true that the standard gauges and screen will give you all the same info. I don't plan on keeping my nav and data package when my renewal comes up so the coolest feature of the VC will be much less useful. If you ever want to enable Video in Motion, I think you need the VC.

I have the the stock 19" alloys for mine as it just came with the car on the lot but I would probably have gone with the 18" if I was ordering custom. The 19" tires are definitely more expensive and harder to find and I'm pretty sure the ride is a little more harsh as well. Also, I personally really like the sports package on the car as the car looks a little better with a lower stance and the seats are really comfy. The leg support extensions come in handy on long drives. The consensus seems to be that lower springs on the Sports package doesn't really impact the ride quality at all.

I'm honestly incredibly happy with my car and I smile almost every time I get in. The engine is a gem and the interior is really well designed. There are only a couple of things I don't like:
1. The DSG fumbles with gears when accelerating after braking (like taking a right turn on a green light). Sometimes it just drops to 2nd or 3rd and gets really jerky.
2. There is a carplay issue that happens sometimes where if your parking camera comes on for whatever reason, the MMI won't let you use the carplay interface anymore. iOS 11.3 seems to have fixed a lot of it but it still occasionally happens and you have to reset the connection.
3. The MMI in general has a lot of quirks. I don't know why the radio comes on sometimes and how it also does not seem to remember the volume level of a specific source. You get used to it but I just feel like Audi's software and UI people could take some lessons from other manufacturers.

Good luck with your purchase and make sure you test drive as many configurations as you can. An extra 30-60 minutes can end up saving you a lot of regrets in the future.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by iisabrane
I don't plan on keeping my nav and data package when my renewal comes up so the coolest feature of the VC will be much less useful.
Even if you do not renew you will not lose Navigation. You will lose the live traffic and the Google Earth overlay. I believe this is the case whether or not you have VC.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you meant to write that you're a 'prospective' A4 buyer. Perspective is what you're looking for. ;-)

My apologies in advance for the pedantry. I paid a lot for my English degree and as such I need to get my money's worth by exercising it once in a while. Plus, it's completely plausible that Audi owners are precise and meticulous. At least this one is.

Last edited by AidanHadley; 05-07-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: perspective A4 buyer, would love some help