A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

perspective A4 buyer, would love some help

Old 05-11-2018, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iisabrane
You are absolutely correct on that, I should have been more clear. The standard map just looks plain and dated to me while the Google Earth overlay is very cool. My father in law was really impressed when he saw that on the VC screen. I just realized I use Apple Maps through Carplay more (not as good as Google Maps but a lot more convenient to use) so I decided against renewal.
I'm the same. I opted against renewing and just use Apple Maps. Not as visually impressive, but very functional and no additional charge!
Old 05-12-2018, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MDAudi
It doesn't--Traffic Jam Assist is not available with the Driver Assistance Package in a manual transmission. But you get everything else, and it is wonderful. The Adaptive Cruise Control makes highway driving in even light traffic much less taxing. Side Assist (blind spot monitoring) and Active Lane Assist are helpful as well.

Going forward, I will never buy a car without DAP features. My guess is that, like stability control and backup cameras, they will become standard in a few years,. But for now you have to pay extra.

For me, the DAP is worth it. And if you get the automatic transmission, you get the added bonus of Traffic Jam Assist, which is awesome--but not awesome enough for me to give up the manual transmission!
It was a tough call for me but I didn’t want to wait any longer for the A4 manual or S4 to launch so I just ordered an A4 w/DSG in September 2016. Fortunately, I haven’t missed the manual as much as I feared. I fully agree with you about DAP on my future cars.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a B8 with 19 inch tires. On balance I am very glad I have them but there are some issues in town. Potholes are deadly and expensive, so I set the suspension mode to comfort immediately on start up as a matter of habit. I have solved the financial hazard by purchasing my tires at a Canadian outlet that gives a tread life warranty on tread face and sidewalls for 12 dollars a tire. Plus they have pretty decent tires. Curbs will kill your mags, but it is what it is.

On the positive side, the handling is much better and the gas mileage improves as well.

Happy turns!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default my 2017 experience

So i have 2017 Premium plus with 19" tires, manual transmission, Virtual Cockpit, Sports Package
Very happy with the choice but to address your questions.

Went with the 19" as i disliked the 18" rims. Was not thrilled that they only came with summer tires but wanted the rims. I have since purchased all season tires and put them on for the winter and now running the all season for the summer. In short not a big deal to get them mounted but it did cost (little over a 100 at my local gas station. not sure i can really tell the difference with either type of tire but if i buy the car out of lease will stick with the All Seasons.

Virtual Cockpit is ok. But since i did not renew the Google options i could have lived without it. Would not liked to have sacrificed the big center screen but rarely use the Audi navigation as Imaps through car play works fine and Google or Waze as a backup gets the job done.

I love the manual transmission but will warn you i believe there is a bug where at times regardless of how you set the start/stop feature the car at very slow speeds under certain conditions will simply stall out, Then a warning appears to tell you the start/stop feature has been disabled and you need to actively restart the car with the start button. I have spoken to dealer about the problem. They have shown me ways the problem can occur but when the start/stop is enabled it should NEVER happen. That is not the case. I need to further discuss with Audi.

As to handling and steering i have found similar to most reviews steering is a bit numb but in general car handles very well. .I was considering the Sport Plus package but did not pull the trigger as there were none to test drive when i put my order in.

Overall the driving experience is great and a pleasure to be in every day.