A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Petition to save Audi manual transmissions in USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wynnnj1977

I wanted to wait for 2019 model but because Audi kills manual so I decided to get 2018 monsoon gray, premium plus 6MT instead and I will pick up later today. So excited!
Great. Congrats. I too have 2017.. it fun to drive. at least for me it is. I too was planning to configure 2019 for mid-next year.. but oh well..

Old 08-21-2018, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Frankly, I think this petition has as much chance of being successful as Sisyphus does of finally making it up the hill. AoA has data for manual take-rate across multiple generations and the elimination of MTs has been occurring gradually for years. The old adage, "Money talks, and BS walks," is probably relevant here. I don't blame those on this forum because they have supported MTs with their wallets, but there are just not enough mainstream consumers demanding MTs.

Last edited by JD15; 08-21-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jarnailh
I hope the petition succeeds. Especially, if Audi is told they will lose us to BMW or upcoming Genesis G70. I think they will hear us. I have signed the petition and requesting others to sign as well.
I remember BMW recently announced they will keep building manual transmission until autonomous cars take over due to customer demand. So there is still demand for manual transmissions as of today. I would recommend people sign. If we keep silent car manufacturers will assume nobody cares. I've also spoken to the manager at my local Audi dealership. He said he was pretty shocked and disappointed with the decision too and that he will definitely send my word up to the regional manager.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great. Congrats. I too have 2017.. it fun to drive. at least for me it is. I too was planning to configure 2019 for mid-next year.. but oh well..
Thank you. Monsoon gray isn’t my first choice on color (I usually get black or silver). But I don’t have much of selection on premium plus, sport packages (not sport plus) and cold weather package combo. I will post my pics once I pick up.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
what cars have lower take rates and still offer a manual?

the take rates being so low, over the years is the exact reason why they've been dropped

Yes, cars need to be federalized for every model year change, even if the car itself did not change

demand simply is not there, and has not been there for ages.
The demand is there. Some cars have a manual take rate of 50 percent+ in the US. In fact Audi stopped offering the previous generation S4/S5 in Europe after 2012 and offered it in the US till 2016 due to high take rates. The new S4/S5 don't offer manual anywhere. The S3 still does, but oddly it isn't sold in the US, but it's there in Australia at least. Maybe Europe too.

As for cars with lower takes rates, https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...al-test-review

In 2016 the Corolla manual had a 1 percent take rate. But Corolla didn't drop it. They still offer it in the 2019 model, but on the SE model in the Sedan for a slightly higher cost. But the new Corolla hatchback comes standard with a manual transmission, intelligent manual transmission namely, which is supposed to be noob friendly. Toyota is expecting a 15 percent take rate and said it makes economic sense to offer it. Sadly VW group does not have this mindset, except Porsche, which brought back the manual for the 911 GT3 due to similar petitions and new demand.

Last edited by robertdavidlee; 08-21-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wynnnj1977
Unfortunately BMW kills manual on upcoming 3 series so nothing can help. People just don’t buy them as “new”, that’s sad.
I don't think there is official word on it. There were rumors they are killing it and other rumors that it will still be offered. But recently they said they will continue offering manuals for the foreseeable future. I feel they might still offer it, at least on the M3 at the very least.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by robertdavidlee
I don't think there is official word on it. There were rumors they are killing it and other rumors that it will still be offered. But recently they said they will continue offering manuals for the foreseeable future. I feel they might still offer it, at least on the M3 at the very least.
Hope I’m wrong also. I would rather to have some basic cars like A4 or 330, 340 with manual because I just want to get daily driver car with fun factor when I need.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

just picked up today, love it

Old 08-22-2018, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Exterior of my Audi A4.

I can get pretty good mileage with manual transmission. I've gotten up to 40 highway before.

Interior of my Audi A4.

Here are some photos of my Audi A4 manual transmission. Got the car brand new last year at the age of 22. I got an A4 DCT loaner too once. Wasn't able to get more than 32 mpg on that and didn't feel it was as much fun as my manual A4. But overall I love this car with manual transmission. I live in the SF Bay Area. Fun to drive in traffic too with this in fact. No issues when driving in SF city either
Old 08-22-2018, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice Audi A4s. Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Petition to save Audi manual transmissions in USA