A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Petition to save Audi manual transmissions in USA

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

I've owned multiple cars with manuals, and loved driving them. When it came time to switch, I chose the E90 6AT with paddles because it was more "wife friendly". When it was due, it was a F30 8AT for the same reason.

All I'm saying is everyone on this thread "holding onto the manual", you are shopping in the wrong market segment. The sport/luxury (aka BMW 3-series, Audi A4/S4/S5, etc) has no business case for the manual. The masses buying these cars would prefer better cupholders vs a stick. If you want the manual, find a different market segment/brand. Audi isn't bringing a manual back because one guy on this thread won't let it go. Just saying....
Old 11-12-2018, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
I've owned multiple cars with manuals, and loved driving them. When it came time to switch, I chose the E90 6AT with paddles because it was more "wife friendly". When it was due, it was a F30 8AT for the same reason.

All I'm saying is everyone on this thread "holding onto the manual", you are shopping in the wrong market segment. The sport/luxury (aka BMW 3-series, Audi A4/S4/S5, etc) has no business case for the manual. The masses buying these cars would prefer better cupholders vs a stick. If you want the manual, find a different market segment/brand. Audi isn't bringing a manual back because one guy on this thread won't let it go. Just saying....
Meh. Ironically I was shopping in this segment. I literally just test drove the BMW 3 series and Audi A4, and decided to go for the A4. M3 was outta my budget and I preferred to go for a new A4 instead of a used S4. My next car will be a M3 with a manual transmission, unless Audi magically offered a S or RS model with a manual transmission again. Ideal business case for manuals are Porsche and BMW M models (which have high take rates in US) and I feel enthusiast oriented Audi models, like the RS3 might also do well. The main business case for 3 series or A4 manual is that it's cheaper, so I'm fine if they just offered a manual transmission on enthusiast oriented sporty models. Having said that, I still love my manual transmission A4 a lot and it's still very fun to drive.

Last edited by ASamba; 11-12-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be confused, I like the manual, but I'm willing to move with the times. Here are other things that you should make sure they kill/fix:
1) TV remotes. Everyone loves getting off the couch to turn the ****. Why automate that?
2) Hot water heaters: I personally love using my coal and wood stove to boil water and having a sponge bath. Why would you want a tankless heater with infinite hot showers?
3) Coal heat: Oh yeh… Much better than setting the thermostat to one temperature and being cozy.
4) Automatic headlights. Gebuz! Why on earth would you want the car do to that for you. I personally love choosing when I WANT my lights on.
5) Rain sensing wipers: Makes no sense. Staring through the rain drops is what all the cool kids do.

Like come on already..... I thought you were buying a Tesla? Why do you even care about a manual Audi? Heck, why are you worrying about Audi? Find another brand that will sell you a manual and move already. It's not "my attitude", its there is NO BUSINESS CASE to support antiquated technology. Audi is a tech company, and like all car companies, plan 10 years in the future. You're asking them to think 10 years in the past and bring back stuff.
Sure. Why not add the electric starter to that list while you are at it? Cause we all know manual cranks are the best.

​​​​​​​I said I'd get a Tesla cause if the ICE car I wanted only offered an automatic, I'd much rather get a Tesla at that point. There are many benefits to going electric as well. I've driven a Tesla and it's pretty nice actually.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by robertdavidlee
Sure. Why not add the electric starter to that list while you are at it? Cause we all know manual cranks are the best.

I said I'd get a Tesla cause if the ICE car I wanted only offered an automatic, I'd much rather get a Tesla at that point. There are many benefits to going electric as well. I've driven a Tesla and it's pretty nice actually.
Don't know why people keep arguing about manual vs automatic. There is no wrong choice. Automatics and Manuals both serve their purpose. Looking for faster lap times or convenient drive? Go for automatic. Looking for something more engaging, cheaper and/or potentially fun? Go for manual. In many countries, most cars are still manual transmission and there are still few advantages, so regardless it is still a good skill to have.

I don't think the choice of transmissions can be compared to TV remotes, water heaters, and coal heat. I mean sure, many TVs have ***** and many houses still have fireplaces, so knock yourself out. Automatic headlights and rain sensing wipers can be fully manually controlled too. But automatics with manual mode don't have a clutch and doesn't take practice to master. It's still automated for the driver in a way, which is why some people still prefer manual transmission over paddle shift. If Audi does not care about manual fans and does not want to listen, all we can do is switch to a different brand or buy older Audis. There are still options.

Last edited by Rmoorthy; 11-18-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Keep in mind modern manuals have so much background automatization, the "skill to master a manual" has almost diminished to mothing in the past years:
1) The addition of syncro-mesh to the transmissions, you no longer need to doubt clutch.
2) ECU automatically rev-matchs so no need to heal-toe downshift.
3) Clutch Delay valve almost prevents harsh engagement.

If you REALLY want to prove your skill in a manual, get a car from the 60's that doesn't have any of the above Grew up driving a 1964 International grain truck. That was a true test of skill as it had none of the above!

My point on this thread isn't that there isn't right or wrong about picking manual vs auto, turbo 4 vs turbo 6, etc. It's that Audi isn't going to bring back a manual in this market segment. People opening their wallets in these models want the automation, and you cannot get autonomous driving features with a manual transmission. Traffic Jam Assist cannot function as designed since it cannot resume driving. Car companies make all their money on these overpriced options. Heck, for YEARS automatics were a premium upgrade. "No charge automatic" was still being slung around late '90's as a marketing feature.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Keep in mind modern manuals have so much background automatization, the "skill to master a manual" has almost diminished to mothing in the past years:
1) The addition of syncro-mesh to the transmissions, you no longer need to doubt clutch.
2) ECU automatically rev-matchs so no need to heal-toe downshift.
3) Clutch Delay valve almost prevents harsh engagement.

If you REALLY want to prove your skill in a manual, get a car from the 60's that doesn't have any of the above Grew up driving a 1964 International grain truck. That was a true test of skill as it had none of the above!

My point on this thread isn't that there isn't right or wrong about picking manual vs auto, turbo 4 vs turbo 6, etc. It's that Audi isn't going to bring back a manual in this market segment. People opening their wallets in these models want the automation, and you cannot get autonomous driving features with a manual transmission. Traffic Jam Assist cannot function as designed since it cannot resume driving. Car companies make all their money on these overpriced options. Heck, for YEARS automatics were a premium upgrade. "No charge automatic" was still being slung around late '90's as a marketing feature.
I have driven a truck from the 60s and enjoyed that too. I suppose someone else will now say unless you can operate a Ford Model T, it's not a true test of skill. Got to stop somewhere.

The A4 doesn't even come with traffic jam assist as standard btw, unless that's changing for 2019. Don't think A4 has active rev matching either, like the Corvette or new Corolla does. Anyways, even if this segment is going to be automated, an enthusiast oriented model, regardless of brand, should not be....and that's the segment that should always offer a manual transmission.

Regardless I'm still glad there are many others on this thread that did their part and bought a manual Audi and I would like to thank them in doing their part and signing. It's at 400+ signature now and counting.

With electric cars this whole discussion is dead, which is why I said if I was going automatic I'd get an electric car, as the electric car has many advantages. As long as I stick with the ICE will always go manual :
​​​​​
With that I'm moving on...

Last edited by robertdavidlee; 11-18-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:24 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by robertdavidlee
Anyways, even if this segment is going to be automated, an enthusiast oriented model, regardless of brand, should not be....and that's the segment that should always offer a manual transmission.
Here's the thing - this segment is not, globally-speaking, particularly 'enthusiast-oriented'. One of the gifts of the German automakers is that they have managed to sell what are fairly 'normal' cars in their home market as 'sport sedans' or luxury cars in North America. (In Europe, you'd see diesel manual MB E classes with vinyl or cloth seats as police cars or taxis, for example) For as long as Europe was heavily heavily heavily manual-loving, that meant that assuming your manual could take the torque of your higher-powered engine options, you basically could offer enthusiast North Americans a manual option with little R&D/tooling costs - all you had to do was meet the North American regulatory requirements and boom, manual option.

Now Europe doesn't want manuals in this segment anymore, certainly not with the higher-powered engine and not really even with the 1.4L engines. Suddenly the 3-5% of North American manual sales just doesn't justify the fixed costs involved in offering a manual option...
Old 11-18-2018, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VM
Here's the thing - this segment is not, globally-speaking, particularly 'enthusiast-oriented'. One of the gifts of the German automakers is that they have managed to sell what are fairly 'normal' cars in their home market as 'sport sedans' or luxury cars in North America. (In Europe, you'd see diesel manual MB E classes with vinyl or cloth seats as police cars or taxis, for example) For as long as Europe was heavily heavily heavily manual-loving, that meant that assuming your manual could take the torque of your higher-powered engine options, you basically could offer enthusiast North Americans a manual option with little R&D/tooling costs - all you had to do was meet the North American regulatory requirements and boom, manual option.

Now Europe doesn't want manuals in this segment anymore, certainly not with the higher-powered engine and not really even with the 1.4L engines. Suddenly the 3-5% of North American manual sales just doesn't justify the fixed costs involved in offering a manual option...
Yes. It is only considered enthusiast oriented in North America. From what I've been reading lately manual transmission is still overall very popular in Europe in the non luxury segment. In the "luxury" segment, everyone still offers a manual transmission on low end 1.4L engine or diesel model, so I'm sure there is still somewhat of a large market for low end engines. For higher end engines, the take rate is definitely low. For higher end sports cars like Porsche and BMW M, it's North American sales that are saving it from being discontinued. Even the current M6 offers a manual transmission, but only in North America.

Last edited by robertdavidlee; 11-18-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My wife could not find an AT rental car in Germany during visit last year. Same issue with trip to Italy. The Clerk at H**tz smirked when at my bride's request, I asked if they ever had any AT's available. He simply replied "Hertz should stock more of them in Europe, for many North Americans cannot drive MT". "They have to specify when reserving a car, that AT is requested - then we have to plan month in advance to locate one in order to accommodate the reservation".
In Italy, I ending up getting a points upgrade to an Alfa Romeo MT. Alfa's MT brought a (very wide*) smile to my face. After driving it for 10 days, I could never imagine the Alfa with an AT. Loved that car, but not for stateside roads or commuting. If I lived in Europe, it would be in my top 3.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brokenfoot
My wife could not find an AT rental car in Germany during visit last year. Same issue with trip to Italy. The Clerk at H**tz smirked when at my bride's request, I asked if they ever had any AT's available. He simply replied "Hertz should stock more of them in Europe, for many North Americans cannot drive MT". "They have to specify when reserving a car, that AT is requested - then we have to plan month in advance to locate one in order to accommodate the reservation".
In Italy, I ending up getting a points upgrade to an Alfa Romeo MT. Alfa's MT brought a (very wide*) smile to my face. After driving it for 10 days, I could never imagine the Alfa with an AT. Loved that car, but not for stateside roads or commuting. If I lived in Europe, it would be in my top 3.
Yep. I've been there few times and got a chance to try different cars. In Europe you can get many manual Alfa, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, Volvo, etc models

Stateside I drive my 6 speed manual Audi A4 in stop and go traffic. I still enjoy it a lot. Manuals are a lot of fun. Too bad options are super limited here.
The following users liked this post:
Brokenfoot (11-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Petition to save Audi manual transmissions in USA