A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

a phone-tech ignorant question

Old 11-12-2018, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default a phone-tech ignorant question

My phone is Bluetooth paired with the car but I don't see incoming text messages on the MMI screen. I guess I assumed that would magically just work... kind of like receiving phone calls did.
Do I have to be using CarPlay to see text messages on the car's screen?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you may need to enable a text, or message setting, within your iPhone..
Old 11-13-2018, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I believe you need to be using CarPlay to see the texts on the MMI.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I believe you need to be using CarPlay to see the texts on the MMI.
CarPlay will read text messages to you and allow you to use voice control to reply/send messages, but I don’t believe it actually shows you the text of the message, unless there’s something I’ve missed.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming you’re using an iPhone, you actually can display texts from your device through the MMI without using CarPlay. You need to go into the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone and then tap the little “i” next to your car in the paired devices list. Then make sure all of the settings are enabled. There should be one for notifications or something similar. Then, when you get a text with your phone paired to your car, you’ll notice a little “!” by the phone icon in the Virtual Cockpit which indicates you have a new message. To view it on the MMI, simply go to the phone screen and go to your message inbox.

It obviously works much better through CarPlay, but this is a neat little way to actually see your texts through the MMI while you’re driving.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idealdreams
Assuming you’re using an iPhone, you actually can display texts from your device through the MMI without using CarPlay. You need to go into the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone and then tap the little “i” next to your car in the paired devices list. Then make sure all of the settings are enabled. There should be one for notifications or something similar. Then, when you get a text with your phone paired to your car, you’ll notice a little “!” by the phone icon in the Virtual Cockpit which indicates you have a new message. To view it on the MMI, simply go to the phone screen and go to your message inbox.

It obviously works much better through CarPlay, but this is a neat little way to actually see your texts through the MMI while you’re driving.
I found the Notifications setting, as you described. It was off so I switched it on. I'll reply again after I'm able to test it out.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by audi40

CarPlay will read text messages to you and allow you to use voice control to reply/send messages, but I don’t believe it actually shows you the text of the message, unless there’s something I’ve missed.
Sorry - I meant CarPlay notifies you of a new text message and allows you to hear and respond, not that the message actually comes visible on the MMI screen. To be honest, I like hearing the message rather than seeing it on the screen as that sound like a dangerous diversion of your eyes off the road,
Old 11-13-2018, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idealdreams

This worked, I think. I see a Messages option in the Phone screen which wasn't there before. Got my wife to send me a couple new messages and they're viewable in the Inbox. There's no preview, and I think they appeared in the inbox only like 3 or 4 mins after I saw them on my phone screen, which hopefully was a fluke, but in any case I can see messages. I don't necessarily want to read entire messages on the car screen while Im driving, but I do want to get some sort of blip when new messages hit, since its likely that my phone will be out of sight under the center armrest. And I dont want to have to use CarPlay fulltime because, well, the Carplay screen is like a low budget motel room when you're used to a nicely decorated house. Hopefully I have what Im looking for now.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bump. Yes, it works, thought not quite as I had assumed and hoped. As idealdreams mentioned, a green "!" in the dashboard screen appears next to the phone icon. It's tiny. Like, barely noticeable and could-never-call-attention-to-itself-so-what's-the-point tiny. But it's there. I also noticed a small letter/envelope icon in the bottom right corner of the main screen. Again it's subtle, but there.

I was hoping for something attention-grabbing like the incoming phone call notification. If Im driving with the stereo pumping and my phone buried under the center console, I'll never hear the phone ding or see its screen light up, so basically the car's phone integration doesnt help me avoid missing text messages. Ill assume this isnt Audi specific since there's presumably huge pressure against encouraging texting while driving, but I'm still a bit disappointed. Waaaaa
Old 11-14-2018, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW there is also a "mail" icon that shows up in the bottom-left corner of the MMI screen when you have a new SMS in your Inbox.

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
Bump. Yes, it works, thought not quite as I had assumed and hoped. As idealdreams mentioned, a green "!" in the dashboard screen appears next to the phone icon. It's tiny. Like, barely noticeable and could-never-call-attention-to-itself-so-what's-the-point tiny. But it's there. I also noticed a small letter/envelope icon in the bottom right corner of the main screen. Again it's subtle, but there.

I was hoping for something attention-grabbing like the incoming phone call notification. If Im driving with the stereo pumping and my phone buried under the center console, I'll never hear the phone ding or see its screen light up, so basically the car's phone integration doesnt help me avoid missing text messages. Ill assume this isnt Audi specific since there's presumably huge pressure against encouraging texting while driving, but I'm still a bit disappointed. Waaaaa

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a phone-tech ignorant question