A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

a phone-tech ignorant question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
FWIW there is also a "mail" icon that shows up in the bottom-left corner of the MMI screen when you have a new SMS in your Inbox.
Clarification noted. I mentioned that (or at least intended to mention it) in my post, but I mistakenly wrote bottom right instead of left, and I perhaps ambiguously referred to the MMI as the "main" screen.
I do still wish the notification was more prominent, but I also realize that it is perhaps fortunate that *any* notification appears at all, since it basically encourages text'ing while driving.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So there is a phone notification alert, it sounds like a beeping noise. It chimes once per text that comes through. I shut it off on my car because it was annoying to keep hearing, but if you want an audible notification, try searching for the sound setting in the sound section of the MMI.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idealdreams
So there is a phone notification alert, it sounds like a beeping noise. It chimes once per text that comes through. I shut it off on my car because it was annoying to keep hearing, but if you want an audible notification, try searching for the sound setting in the sound section of the MMI.
The closest appearing thing to what you mention that I could find is the Message Volume setting inside Telephone settings > Ringtone & Vol settings. But it's a volume level dial not an on/off switch. Does that sound right? If not then IDK where else to go. I combed through every setting I could find in the MMI system and the only menu with "Sound" in the title is the Entertainment Sound menu.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I may have spoken too soon. I sent a text to my wife tonight from my office parking lot right before driving off. It was the kind of message that would prompt an "OK thanks" kind of reply. Driving home, I listened for a beep and checked the screens repeatedly for the new message indicator. Nothing. 15 minutes later I said screw it, looked at my phone and saw the expected "OK thanks" message 2 minutes after my message to her. And the car, still oblivious to the message. What an incredible POS.

I guess it's possible the phone is part of the failure. I finally upgraded from iOS 11x to 12x last night (so I can bang my head against a wall with Google maps via CarPlay), so maybe Apple broke something.

But damn, I wish I had given tech & mobile integration zero weight when I was still shopping because so far, for me at least, it's been a string of disappointment. Sorry for the rant, Im a bit frustrated right now.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, question, if anyone's still inclined.

What's the Messages setting in the Bluetooth profiles menu supposed to do? Mine shows Not Connected. I tried to change it. When I click on it, the car says it's connecting (or something to that effect) but then it just reverts back to the BT profiles menu with Messages Not Connected. The other 3 things in the menu (Handsfree, Directory/contacts, and BT audio player) are all Connected.

I am so damn confused right now!
Old 11-15-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Skiing -
I understand your frustration, but this nightmare for you makes me secure and somewhat pleased that I am an old fart who uses so little of today's "must have" tech. I have a 10 year old non-smart phone that surprisingly does connect with the MMI and allows me to receive and make calls to contacts, but in fact I seldom do. I love cruising the roads in total isolation from friends, family and others. Granted, being divorced and retired allows me that luxury (that's what I call it). Life has told me that most of its unpleasantness and grief-filled situations grow from relationships with family and friends, so I treasure being able to get behind the wheel and not deal with any of that.
Even so, I feel your concern, especially given Audi's reputation and pretty high price point. It reminds me of Mercedes who for years refused to install tilt/telescope steering wheels because they did not fit a Teutonic idea of what a car should be. I am a dying breed, so I would expect that Audi's future viability would require them understand and meet the needs and demands of the newest generation of drivers.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Amen to that brother!

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Skiing -
I understand your frustration, but this nightmare for you makes me secure and somewhat pleased that I am an old fart who uses so little of today's "must have" tech. I have a 10 year old non-smart phone that surprisingly does connect with the MMI and allows me to receive and make calls to contacts, but in fact I seldom do. I love cruising the roads in total isolation from friends, family and others. Granted, being divorced and retired allows me that luxury (that's what I call it). Life has told me that most of its unpleasantness and grief-filled situations grow from relationships with family and friends, so I treasure being able to get behind the wheel and not deal with any of that.
Even so, I feel your concern, especially given Audi's reputation and pretty high price point. It reminds me of Mercedes who for years refused to install tilt/telescope steering wheels because they did not fit a Teutonic idea of what a car should be. I am a dying breed, so I would expect that Audi's future viability would require them understand and meet the needs and demands of the newest generation of drivers.
yup...that’s the joy!
Old 11-15-2018, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Skiing -
While I'm neither divorced nor retired nor an old fart (at least not in literal years; mentally and emotionally might be another story), I actually do sympathize with much of your message. I totally enjoy long drives with just my music. I dont have people trying to contact me too often but when they do, I dont like to miss it. I may not respond right immediately but I like to know I was contacted. Separately, when Im led to expect something to work (**) and then it doesnt I get annoyed. Often, far more annoyed than I should.
As I said previously, in hindsight I should have de-prioritized technology in my shopping process. Oh well...

Your anecdote about MB and steering wheels is interesting!

(**) PS, I was referring to the marketing machines when I wrote "led to expect...", not anyone in here, just in case it was unclear! :-)
Old 11-15-2018, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Soooo..... Poking around a bit more I noticed that the Message Volume that was accessible yesterday, is now disabled. I was about to post and speculate that iOS 12 killed text messaging compatibility, but then I decided to re-visit idealdreams' post to remind myself how I got it working in the first place. Apparently the Notification setting for my car's BT settings on my iphone, became switched off, presumably in the process of deploying the iOS update. I switched it back on, went back to the car with the phone and, hey look at that... all the Text Message relate menu stuff is back on the MMI. Hopefully it's back to working again.

DOHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2018, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
...when I'm led to expect something to work (**) and then it doesnt I get annoyed. Often, far more annoyed than I should...
This describes me to a tee. That is one of the reasons I loved my 1967 VW beetle. Nothing to break, get loose, rattle or annoy me. Wind-up windows, manual door locks, manual steering, stick shift on the floor. Primative but it was sort of "of a piece" if you know what I mean. It is not that I don't appreciate "features", but they better work as advertised.
Retired, that's why I am posting on this board going on 1 AM in a snow storm.