A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Piano Black Inlay scratches and swirls

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Piano Black Inlay scratches and swirls

Hi folks,

Anyone have success removing scratches and swirl marks from the Audi A4 piano black inlays? If so, what did you use and what was your technique?

I've searched through the forums and read a few things but nothing that says, “this is what worked, what I used and how I did it”.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

I'd take a soft swirl mark remover and a foam applicator pad and lightly and sparingly try and buff the inlay. Something like 3M Swirl Mark Remover for dark paints or Meguiars #9 swirl mark remover. You could also try some Mothers Plastic Polish as that is very gentle and could also work.

You don't want to get any of this on the dash, so I'd also tape off the dash, and again, a very small amount should be used.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by adg44
I'd take a soft swirl mark remover and a foam applicator pad and lightly and sparingly try and buff the inlay. Something like 3M Swirl Mark Remover for dark paints or Meguiars #9 swirl mark remover. You could also try some Mothers Plastic Polish as that is very gentle and could also work.

You don't want to get any of this on the dash, so I'd also tape off the dash, and again, a very small amount should be used.
My scratches are mostly limited to the console area (between center console and dash).
Old 05-12-2019, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine came with scratches and swirls from factory. It’s very annoying and I tried using a plastic polisher but didn’t help much. After tinting my windows it’s a lot less noticeable. I just left it as is.

Was thinking of getting a carbon fibre cover from eBay. But it would stick out if I don’t change the other black inlays imo.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Mine came with scratches and swirls from factory. It’s very annoying and I tried using a plastic polisher but didn’t help much. After tinting my windows it’s a lot less noticeable. I just left it as is.

Was thinking of getting a carbon fibre cover from eBay. But it would stick out if I don’t change the other black inlays imo.
I’ve heard of others using various products to remove the scratches and swirls and then wrapping the inlays in clear wrap.

About to get a ceramic coating put on my car and the shop suggested I could wrap the inlays in black gloss vinyl wrap (or clear) but I don’t know how sensitive it is scratching.

Last edited by BoxerBoi76; 05-12-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxerBoi76
I’ve heard of others using various products to remove the scratches and swirls and then wrapping the inlays in clear wrap.
I would like to do a clear wrap but I don’t know how to do that. Getting a company that does car wraps will probably be costly to do but haven’t had a chance to ask
Old 05-12-2019, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
I would like to do a clear wrap but I don’t know how to do that. Getting a company that does car wraps will probably be costly to do but haven’t had a chance to ask
Hope to have the ceramic coating done soon and will ask about wrapping the inlays with clear and black gloss and will post back. Are you talking about the inlays or the whole car?

Going to attempt to get the scratches and swirls out myself using Meguiar’s ScratchX and Ultimate Polish - found a post earlier but lost it and and in that post with pics, the owner used these products to remove substantial scratching and swirl marks from his piano black inlays.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxerBoi76

About to get a ceramic coating put on my car and the shop suggested I could wrap the inlays in black gloss vinyl wrap (or clear) but I don’t know how sensitive it is scratching.
Mine has ceramic coating on it but it's still gets smalls scratches, tho I never use anything but a microfiber to clean as that was I was told to do.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LaZyB0ne
Mine has ceramic coating on it but it's still gets smalls scratches, tho I never use anything but a microfiber to clean as that was I was told to do.
Well that sucks!

Will see what the shop advises me after the coating is applied.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

You should see my piano black door inlays... they are scratched to ****s by dealer when I bought it at CPO. Planning on taking them off and polishing with Menzerna 3800.

Quick Reply: Piano Black Inlay scratches and swirls