A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Pirelli P7 on a Countach...

Old 03-25-2019, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Pirelli P7 on a Countach...

Tangent. I know we all hate the P7 that most of our cars ship with.

So I'm watching the Grand Tour of the Testarossa vs Countach, and the Countach has Pirelli Cinturato P7 on the rears....

End Tangent
Old 03-25-2019, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Damn, I'm glad my A4 shipped with the Continental SportContact 6. They're amazing tires.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg View Post
Damn, I'm glad my A4 shipped with the Continental SportContact 6. They're amazing tires.
Should be interesting to see if they are better than the 5s.... My friend autocross his SportContact 5's and they were destroyed in 3 laps, cords showing. Put a second send on and didn't get 5,000 miles on them before they were shot...from regular road driving. I hope the 6s had some BIG improvement. My mom and P7s on here Volvo....have wore great, made it through many an Iowa snow storms, ride OK and are fairly quiet. Not sure why all the hate towards the P7s....
Old 03-26-2019, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
Should be interesting to see if they are better than the 5s.... My friend autocross his SportContact 5's and they were destroyed in 3 laps, cords showing. Put a second send on and didn't get 5,000 miles on them before they were shot...from regular road driving. I hope the 6s had some BIG improvement. My mom and P7s on here Volvo....have wore great, made it through many an Iowa snow storms, ride OK and are fairly quiet. Not sure why all the hate towards the P7s....
Ah, I probably won't be surprised with minor differences, so it probably will lose tread quickly. This is my first experience with high performance summer tires. I've only driven on all-seasons and winter tires previously on very not-so-sporty vehicles lol. Not much reviews on the conti, but I've read quite a few reviews on the P7 and a lot of mixed reviews. A lot of vibration issues on high speeds apparently.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The 5, 5P, and 6 are all different tires. Also depending on the tread compound they can all last different amounts. So it's not as simple as saying "my friend had the 5s on his car and they were destroyed so the 6s won't last long either".

And there is an all-season Cinturato P7 and a summer Cinturato P7.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

One more time -- there are least 8 "Cinturato P7" varieties.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not saying this is the case with your buddy but I have spend a LOT of time at the track over the years and every single time I have ever seen a guy's tires go from new to "destroyed with cords showing in 3 laps," it always turns out he's super new to the scene and is running at least 10 if not 15+ PSI off from what he should be for that track on that day, and huge chunks of rubber are going missing as a result because he's cold tearing. I think I have seen this exact scenario about 4 times over the years and every single time the guy is fuming mad, cursing the tire or its maker to high heavens and swearing them off for good, and while we have him distracted somebody will always get out a pressure gauge and give us the nod that yep, at least 10PSI off and resultingly either way too little heat (or in one case, way too much bc of low pressure) in the tires.

I have seen a case or two where a tire straight up fails but it's never all 4 at the same time when it is a legitimate manufacturing issue.