A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Popping Noise From Drivers Seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping Noise From Drivers Seat

My driver's seat (sport package, heated only) is currently being swapped out at the dealership for a brand new seat.

I had this in the shop a few different times for a strange popping noise, that sounded like suction cups being pulled off of a surface. It happened around my shoulder area, and there were two distinct popping noises (presumably from the right and left shoulder areas) when I would put pressure on the seat, and then release the pressure. Note this was just normal sitting and putting my back into the seat to adjust my position.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but according to the service foreman here (Audi Atlanta) they 'tore my seat apart' at the last visit and put some felt padding everywhere. The noise went away temporarily, but slowly made it's way back to full volume.

I still have no idea what was causing the noise, and I'm not sure they do either. Hence the replacement.

I'm still waiting to see if they can fix the buzzing noises I've been experiencing with the front B+O lower door speaker housings. I'm pretty sure I have a lemon of sorts on my hands.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdwcreative
My driver's seat (sport package, heated only) is currently being swapped out at the dealership for a brand new seat.

I had this in the shop a few different times for a strange popping noise, that sounded like suction cups being pulled off of a surface. It happened around my shoulder area, and there were two distinct popping noises (presumably from the right and left shoulder areas) when I would put pressure on the seat, and then release the pressure. Note this was just normal sitting and putting my back into the seat to adjust my position.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but according to the service foreman here (Audi Atlanta) they 'tore my seat apart' at the last visit and put some felt padding everywhere. The noise went away temporarily, but slowly made it's way back to full volume.

I still have no idea what was causing the noise, and I'm not sure they do either. Hence the replacement.

I'm still waiting to see if they can fix the buzzing noises I've been experiencing with the front B+O lower door speaker housings. I'm pretty sure I have a lemon of sorts on my hands.
Resurrecting this long dead thread, but have started having this problem and found your post from Google. Did your seat replacement solve your problem and did the dealer ever figure out the cause of the popping noise?
Old 10-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As far as I know they never found out what the issue was. I think they also tried replacing the lumbar support motor while the old seat was having attempts at being fixed. None of the solutions they came up with ended up working though and they just eventually gave up and replaced the whole seat. The noise hasn’t come back yet in the new one, but I did experience a similar noise in one of the loaners from the dealership.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting. I'm actually having the same issue. Mine is like something grabs and releases as I push back into the driver seat to settle in. I can also make it happen just by leaning back hard around my left shoulder blade. I've got an appointment and I'll print this post. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2022, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had popping sound inside drivers seat when leaning/pushing hard against it, happening more often with lumbar support moved forward. Turned out it is causes by a metal rivet holding the bottom of lumbar frame. See pics below. A mechanic drilled out the rivet and put some he found in his workshop, Audi's rivet turned to be super expensive and couple of weeks wait time.

The following 2 users liked this post by mmx3dnow:
Aerfally (02-22-2024), Void20 (09-21-2022)
Old 02-22-2024, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same issue. Did the fix work?
Old 02-22-2024, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I had same thing in our /18 -- turned out to be related to lumbar support. The lumbar support assembly was replaced and seat has been quiet now for years.

Best,
Jeff