A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Pothole

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pothole

Hi all, well I nailed a pothole in the fog tonight and the front right tire went flat. A few questions:
1) I couldn't see any damage to the tire in the dark. Any chance the tire is still good?
2) Is it likely I bent the rim? How can I tell or do I need the dealer? That being said I have a feeling I should go to the dealer and not a tire shop.
3) I jksut hit 20,000 and in fact am doing my service Monday. If I need to replace the tire do I replace all 4?
Thanks for opinions /advice in advance!
Old 01-13-2018, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I f would say that it the tire lost air then it's badly damaged. If you are at 20k and do not need all new tires then the new tire will need to be shaved down to match the other tires. Might be worthwhile to get 4 new tires at that time. When the tire is off the shop (tire or Audi) can tell best if the rim is bend.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

A large number of tire shops will not be wild about shaving a single replacement tire. Perhaps this has something to do with the idea that selling and installing 4 new tires is often more attractive to the shop than to the buyer, perhaps not

Tire Rack is a potential option that may be worth pursuing, since the answer will depend on whether you have a bent rim (fix/replace rim) or a sidewall pinch (replace tire) leading to the air leak.

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Shaving
Old 01-13-2018, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kjlcm
Hi all, well I nailed a pothole in the fog tonight.....
Where are you located - sounds like the NY metro area or thereabouts? I'm on Long Island NY and was in the fog last night too. I did hit one minor pot hole that I did not see at all and I thought to myself wow that could have been bad. Keep this updated as to the outcome - it's that pothole time of year around here
Old 01-13-2018, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by kjlcm
Hi all, well I nailed a pothole in the fog tonight and the front right tire went flat. A few questions:
1) I couldn't see any damage to the tire in the dark. Any chance the tire is still good?
2) Is it likely I bent the rim? How can I tell or do I need the dealer? That being said I have a feeling I should go to the dealer and not a tire shop.
3) I jksut hit 20,000 and in fact am doing my service Monday. If I need to replace the tire do I replace all 4?
Thanks for opinions /advice in advance!
What size wheels do you have? If they're 19", they're probably bent, due to the shallow depth of your tire's sidewalls.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A4Driver
What size wheels do you have? If they're 19", they're probably bent, due to the shallow depth of your tire's sidewalls.
18". I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Will update on the outcome.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Turns out the rim is a little bent. Existing tires were in good enough shape so just had to buy one new one. They were able to mount the new tire but they recommend I go back to get the rim straightened when they have the machine in house.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hit a pothole on 295 outside of Falmouth Maine last nite. I was going 80 and had no warning, never saw it. It hit as hard as I’ve ever hit pot hole. I pulled over, tire was ok. I drove home, tire good, wheel has slight bend you can’t see but can feel with fingertip. Tire is 255/45/19 Hakkepellita R2, wheel is 19”x9” Verde Parallax. For an inexpensive winter wheel I was astonished. The wheel hit exactly where the spoke comes and touches the rim. There is no shake or any ill effects, could have been MUCH worse!
Old 01-16-2018, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Where is that I-295 pothole? I want to avoid it!
Old 01-16-2018, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default POthole location

Originally Posted by ptmdsharp
Where is that I-295 pothole? I want to avoid it!
If you were traveling on the 295 Falmouth spur from Westbrook to the Falmouth side, after you go thru tolls headed east it is about a mile from toll in the left hand lane. I am calling the Maine DOT today

Quick Reply: Pothole