A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Pre Sense almost caused an accident

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

For the second time since I've owned my car, the Pre Sense warning came on today on my VC. I was doing 43 mph down a secondary road, with no other vehicles in sight of me. My car did not brake, or slow down or anything. Just the triangle with the ! lit up on the screen.

If I bring my car to my dealership to have this checked out, will they spot the minor changes (Gear display & needle sweep) I have made with my OBDEleven? Will they say it is my fault the Pre Sense lights up, even though it also did this many months ago before I made any changes?
Old 07-21-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlainW
Hi all today I got the fright of my life when driving back from work. I was going 50mph on the expressway when suddenly a motorbike sped past to my left. The bike was at least 3feet away at any given time. However I got the shock of my life when my A4 suddenly applied the brakes while I had the foot resting on the accelerator. It was so sudden and jerky, on the spot I thought that another car had rammed into mine. Within a fraction of a second I was down from 50 to 30mph. The car didn’t come to a full stop. Luckily the car behind me was not tailgating, because I do not think that any human being would have fast enough reflexes to brake as fast. I saw a big red triangle appear on the dash for a few seconds, I think it said Pre Sense with a ‘!’ but I was too shaken up to really remember. Has this ever happened to anyone else? If I were rear-ended in this case whose fault would it have been? During my 6months of ownership this is the first time the car has braked on its own so violently, though I have seen the triangle appear a few times before with cyclists on the road.
Mine came on for the first time yesterday (2018 S-4, which is utilizing the same technology). I was likely hugging a median a little too closely and it might have sensed a street sign. There were no other vehicles or pedestrians on the roadway. The brakes did not apply.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

AlainW, Just curious, is your A4 equipped with Advanced Driver Assistance Package? (with the radar sensors that look like fog lights)?
Old 07-21-2017, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello guys,
I also had a surprize the other day, when the car activated the Pre Sense with a cyclist.
I was driving slowly as it was before a curve and he was coming on the opposite direction when the car just activated the Pre Sense but without any special effects. Just the warning.

Most probably because the cyclist disappeared quickly from the "scene"

On another occasion I was driving at the rear of a bus when the system was activated with again, just a warning. I assumed that the vibrations of the big bus would be the cause for the activation of the APSense...

I am sure that the system is helpful mainly in the city when someone may come out of a bus and we can't see him.

The cars has only 1300 kilometers...

Old 07-22-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the first time I had the rear presence operate. I was reversing down my driveway and I checked for oncoming traffic on the residential. I began moving down our driveway with my foot lightly on the break. All of a sudden a car moving very fast (at least over 20 mph the speed limit) flashed by the street and before I could react the A4 stopped itself. I was impressed with this safety feature.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prof
For the first time I had the rear presence operate. I was reversing down my driveway and I checked for oncoming traffic on the residential. I began moving down our driveway with my foot lightly on the break. All of a sudden a car moving very fast (at least over 20 mph the speed limit) flashed by the street and before I could react the A4 stopped itself. I was impressed with this safety feature.
That was pretty good indeed !

Accident avoided !
Old 07-22-2017, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AlainW
.... However I got the shock of my life when my A4 suddenly applied the brakes while I had the foot resting on the accelerator. It was so sudden and jerky, on the spot I thought that another car had rammed into mine. Within a fraction of a second I was down from 50 to 30mph. The car didn’t come to a full stop. Luckily the car behind me was not tailgating, because I do not think that any human being would have fast enough reflexes to brake as fast. ....
Does anyone know if the brake lights illuminate under these conditions?
Old 07-22-2017, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Z06jerry
Does anyone know if the brake lights illuminate under these conditions?
I am sure they do !
Old 07-22-2017, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely, the brake actually depresses just like the steering wheel actually turns using ACC.

Saved me a couple months ago from rear ending a stopped car around a blind corner -- car saw it before I did (sensors are several feet ahead plus they ain't human) and slammed on the brakes, warning light / sound flashed instantly in the HUD and VC and by the time I got my foot over from the gas pedal to the brake -- we're talking a nanosecond here -- the brake pedal was fully depressed and the car was completely stopped.

I would've slammed into one of those old Camry's from the 1990's. Several other cars were stopped just after this corner due to a lawn service truck stupidly trying to back into a driveway on yet another blind corner in this S-shaped curve -- never seen this happen in 15 years commuting this backroad.

BAM over in an instant. Only this time the results were excellent. Cars behind me were not tailgating and were thus able to slow down normally until the jam subsided.

The car paid for itself right then and there.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

A few months ago it saved me from a direct hit on a deer that jumped in front of my car. The car applied the brakes before I even saw the deer. It's rather ironic because it was a deer strike that totaled my beloved 2005 Acura and resulted in my purchase of the Audi.

Quick Reply: Pre Sense almost caused an accident