A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

PSA: Rear Subwoofer Rattle Repair Under Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

As a data point, in January of this year I rented a 2017 A4 out of Denver (via SilverCar) with just a couple thousand miles on it. It had the stock non-B&O stereo and (probably) this exact rattle. It was pretty bad; I suspect you'd know straight away if you suffer from it.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by esspydermonkey
Hey everyone, I too experienced this bad rattling. There are two solutions, first is that there is a TSB to add some dampening strip to the rear deck.

Second is the rattle sound may not actually be from the rear deck, its the brake light cover on the window. They are currently working on mine as we speak.
Failed to completely solve it. Leaving car for day. Will post solution when solved.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooper Brubacher

Turns out, the rear speaker shelf is known to start rattling. They got some padding from Audi and now it sounds great !
Hi... Do you have some pictures for the padding or the repair thay made? I told to my audi dealer about this problem... And I want to show him the issue and padding...

thank you

Last edited by Cristimate; 01-05-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristimate
And I want to show him the issue and padding...
Not to sound picky, but I wouldn't call it "padding". It is called damping sheet. It is a thick rubbery material that has a sticky side that just sticks onto the surface. It is a common product used in speaker installations. Google "Stinger damping sheet" (which is what my dealer used) and you'll see plenty of pictures. Go to YouTube and you'll see lots of how-to videos. It is about the lowest-tech solution you'll ever see but it completely cured my vibration problem on the rear deck. If I crank the sound up really high I'll hear vibrations here and there. I suppose I could fix those with more damping sheet. I'm a fan.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my A4 had same subwoofer rattle issue, took it to dealership and they added additional dampening strip, covered under warranty. this fixed the problem for me
Old 02-20-2018, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Thank you forum for sharing that the dealer does have a fix for B&O subwoofer rattling/vibrating the rear deck. I will make them look at this on my upcoming 10K servicing. I am incredulous that this wasn't addressed before production - didn't someone test the stereo? I don't even have the bass cranked up either and it vibrates on certain tracks. I also find the doors are not all that well padded either.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

brought it to dealer twice and they made it worse..going to add dynamat on my own...one guy on fb did it and apparently fixed it!
Old 02-21-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by yb28
brought it to dealer twice and they made it worse..going to add dynamat on my own...one guy on fb did it and apparently fixed it!
Did they add that strip that was mentioned earlier in the thread? I have read that forum users have had the best results investing in Dynamat or similar to damp the rear panel and the doors.The rear panel seems the most straightforward. I hate the idea of taking the door panels off.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
Did they add that strip that was mentioned earlier in the thread? I have read that forum users have had the best results investing in Dynamat or similar to damp the rear panel and the doors.The rear panel seems the most straightforward. I hate the idea of taking the door panels off.
My car audio dealer used Stinger damping sheet (probably the equivalent of Dynamat) across all of my back deck when they installed the nice, beefy Kicker subwoofer. No problems with vibration since then. They didn't put it in the doors. As I wrote above, if I really crank it up there can be some vibration. But for normal listening levels it's great.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by emmgee
My car audio dealer used Stinger damping sheet (probably the equivalent of Dynamat) across all of my back deck when they installed the nice, beefy Kicker subwoofer. No problems with vibration since then. They didn't put it in the doors. As I wrote above, if I really crank it up there can be some vibration. But for normal listening levels it's great.
Edited because I saw your previous posts. So it was $35 for the damping sheet since they had already taken apart your rear deck to put in the new sub to replace the poor sub they selected for the base audio. Wonder what it would cost? They'll need to charge me for labor.

Last edited by caranddriver; 02-21-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: PSA: Rear Subwoofer Rattle Repair Under Warranty