A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Racechip Installed

Old 09-21-2016, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Racechip Installed

Ok, I am prepared for this thread to create some controversy. I will start off with the fact that I had used a Racechip with success on my previous S6.

Lets get out of the way what this product is. It is a "piggy back" tune. For those of you who dont know what that means, it connects to various sensors in the engine bay. It is not an ECU installed tune like those of APR/GIAC/Unitronic.

So, why a piggyback?

Pros: Installed in less than 5 minutes typically. Also means removed in less than 5 minutes. Gives a significant power advantage for the price. Install at your own home, no need to drive and wait two hours for an ECU download. Can be used on any A4, not VIN specific. Does not depreciate car on trade when removed(ECU tuned cars cannot be certified and therefore makes less for the dealership). And lastly, not TD1 detectable.

Cons: Less power gains than the previously mentioned ECU tunes. (Thats about it).

Now, what is really cool about this version (Ultimate), there are two, is that it can be controlled via bluetooth with an app on your phone. On my previous Racechip, I had to take it apart to adjust settings. As you can see in the second photo, you can chose three different modes: Efficiency, Sport, and Race. Obviously the race mode will give you the most power available to the unit. Once you start the car(settings are made in accessory position) the mode you chose will get locked in(even after you turn off the car). If you choose to change the mode you can do so at anytime going back into the app. There are other options in the app like a warmup timer and a shutoff timer but I would never use them.

To be fair, I just finished installing the unit so I havent driven the car yet. I will however report back shortly. I just wanted to get this up.

EDIT: Due to many requests I have made an install video.
Attached Thumbnails Racechip Installed-racechip.jpg   Racechip Installed-screenshot_20160921-192921.png  

Last edited by HyperS4; 09-27-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested in hearing your review! Any chance you can post some installation tips?
Old 09-22-2016, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bengtc
Interested in hearing your review! Any chance you can post some installation tips?
I would like to know this as well. I am pretty technical when it comes to most things but cars not so much. I would like to know how difficult the installation is and what needs to be done.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bengtc
Originally Posted by steelersmb
I would like to know this as well. I am pretty technical when it comes to most things but cars not so much. I would like to know how difficult the installation is and what needs to be done.
Since you guys asked so nicely lol. Seriously though, you can not even know how to hold a hammer and still be able to install this.

First thing you do is pop the hood(obvioiusly) and then pull off the engine cover. It is attached at the four corners via rubber pop thingies(official terminology). Just pull up and they will start popping off.

Once you have that off you can locate the three sensors you need to connect the Racechip to(see pictures). I did have to do some research because some of the instructions were in German, so thank you Google Translate.

Really though, once you locate the sensors and figure out which harness(A,B or C) goes to which one, its a 5 minute install.
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
apoelistas (11-19-2019)
Old 09-22-2016, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome thanks for the pics!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Let us know how it performs and if it's worth it.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've heard that these types of bypass systems can still trigger the TD1 flag. Other than the manufacturer's claims, how do you know it isn't getting flagged?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BiscuitEmbryo
I've heard that these types of bypass systems can still trigger the TD1 flag. Other than the manufacturer's claims, how do you know it isn't getting flagged?
For one thing, it doesn't change the ecu at all. There's no flash counters for Audi to find. Secondly, my dealership didn't see it on the computer when I brought my previous car in for service. And they knew it was physically on the car.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

UPDATE: Ok, just finally took the car out. Wow, this thing just ups and goes. You really feel it come on strong in second gear. The difference is significant even with the transmission in Auto. For reference purposes, I keep the car in Dynamic all the time. I just finished my first tank driving with the transmission in "S" the whole time. The car feels very quick now, looking forward to trying some highway pulls soon.
The following users liked this post:
Bpabianchi (07-04-2020)
Old 09-22-2016, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

what Octane are you using?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racechip Installed