A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

rear turn signals

Old 05-22-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default rear turn signals

Out of curiosity does anyone dislike the animated/sequential rear turn signals in the B9? I thought it was cool initially but I've noticed an aspect about it that really makes me dislike them. I'm fine with the sequential/horizontal light bar itself, but what really irks me is the large rectangular lamp directly below the end point of the sequential "line". What's the point of the sequential light if it's duplicated by a regular turn signal? If for some reason there has to be a regular turn signal along with the sequential signal, then I can't help thinking it would look better if either:
A) The regular signal lamp were situated at the start point of the sequential signal -or-
B) The regular signal lamp were situated at the end point of the sequential, but didn't illuminate until the sequential lamp reached its end point.

The way it is now, I spot the rectangular lamp first, then my eye catches the sequential lamp beginning to extend. My eye focus moves inward and catches the sequential lamp about midway, and then follows it back out to the end. I find it visually jarring. Completely ruins the cool factor for me.

Does anyone else see it like this?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is like that because there are regulations as to how much light must be visible when the turn signal is activated. The amount of light from the animated lamps are not enough, so the lower lamp below it was included with the turn signal.
I do not mind the way it is as I still like the way it looks.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We only have the animated portion of the rear indicators in the UK, thus is it probably legislation in the US. Why they think the animated ones cannot be seen beggars believe..
Old 05-23-2018, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

DOT regulation. The first illuminated part of the lamp must conform to a specific brightness. As the first illuminated part is the inner end of the sequential light, that amounts to a very small area and thus not compliant. So Audi lights up the rectangular lamp as well. ROW cars don't have the rectangle, and from what I've observed in europe their sequential light is amber as opposed to red.

There is probably some way to reverse the light sequence so the bar lights up then sequentially turns off, this might keep it compliant but to disable the rectangular lamp would require opening up the tail lamp assembly.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting points. I noticed a Mustang yesterday with a purely-sequential turn signal and wondered why Audi didnt do it like that. Re-reading the replies here, I see why. The Mustang's signal is just 3 lamps, so at the start of the sequence when only the first lamp is lit, it looks like a regular turn signal.
Some other observations. I found a youtube video of a Euro A4 signal which is purely sequential. I think it looks better. And I notice with the Q5, the single non-sequential lamp spans the full length of the sequential signal. IMO this also looks better than the A4's signal.
I remain of the opinion that it looks kind of ugly and surprised that Audi, who has always struck me as very attentive to aesthetics, would make an (admittedly very subtle) blunder like that.
That all said, it wont affect me as a driver if I buy the car and will make a great conversation point with friends and give them another opportunity to tell me I'm nuts.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

It's a turn signal, so the more "visually jarring" it is the better it works. :-P
Old 07-10-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

^^ Then why are the Euro A4 turn signals not like those in the US?

Last edited by SkiingInABlueDream; 07-10-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder if it's possible to "code' a US car to mimic the euro pattern, or if that bottom bulb is hard wired to turn on anytime the blinker is on.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is 100% because of US regulation. As Breadboze has pointed out, when the turn signal is initiated, there has to a specified amount of light. This is why we in the US have the second light.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, US regulations require 2,200 sq m requirement for the lamp. 2,200 doesn't apply to a "whole" but rather at a single bulb. As noted above, the Mustang can do so because each lamp is far larger than the 2,200 sq m vs the individual LED segments on modern vehicles.

Also, RoW uses amber rear turn signals. US once again has persisted that there is no difference between red or amber rear signals; and I beg to differ. Audi could have technically kept the amber turn signals in the NA models, but due to the fact that the extra rectangle lighting was required (the same rectangle which is also used for brake light), having both red AND amber as the turn signal would be ugly and uncalled for. Plus, I don't think you can have both colours at the same time; it either has to be red OR amber. So that's why Audi chose to use red rear signals as well.

US regulations are behind the times and I highly doubt much changes will be done... Canada has been amending their regulations to comply with EU regulations. They even allow MATRIX LED headlights now! I'm just waiting for Audi Canada to offer it now.
Given that US government is trying to isolate themselves from everyone, that's another blow to any expectation you can expect from US gov agencies to offer changes to their regulations. ;P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear turn signals