Regular vs Sport Seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 06:01 AM
tnm
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regular vs Sport Seats

Hi,

I am (or rather, my back is) fairly sensitive to seats on longer drivers.
I spent quite a bit of time testing different cars when I bought my current A4 Allroad (2014 model bought late 2013).

In the end, A6/A7 comfort seat and the standard A4 seat was the ones that worked for me.
- Lexus was terrible.
- BMW a bit better, but 3-4 hours in the car and I was stiff
- Mercedes, sort of ok, but I just don't like their design these days.
- A4 sports seats... no good.
- A6/A7 comfort seats was just amazing (had access to an A7 for a week). Easily est car seats I have ever tried, but I decided A6/A7 was a tad too big for narrow Tokyo back streets (where I live these days). Audi's need a lot of space to turn!
- A4 regular seats was doing a decent job and I ended up there in the end.

Tempted by the new A4 now. Had a test drive, but shop only had regular seats and while the back did not feel too bad, they felt harder than my old car. Just something about them that felt less comfortable and I felt better in my old car coming back there.

Anyone that has been testing the sport seats vs. the regular seats on a bit longer drive?

The side support is not so important to me. May actually be better to have a big wiggle room to change position a bit, but don't think is it a big pro or con.

Will try to find another shop that has a test car with sport seats, but happy to get any thought!

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2016, 06:50 AM
tnm
AudiWorld Newcomer

Cannot seem to find "edit post" function here so guess I have to reply my own message.

The dealer did have a new car with sport seats, but textile, not leather version.
This did not have number plates, so not possible to drive.

I got to try the seat in the shop however, and immediately, I think the new sport seats feels quite a bit better than than the old ones (at least for me).

This is why I ask this question here.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tnm
Cannot seem to find "edit post" function here so guess I have to reply my own message.
I think you can not edit your messages just yet because you are new to the forum. It did it to me also a couple of weeks ago.

I test drove a 2017 A4 with leather sport seats and they were very comfortable. However I did not try any other seat option so I can't realy compare them.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me share my perspective as a newcomer to Audi. I like my sports seats, but my wife finds them very uncomfortable compared to years of driving in Acura models. I tend to agree with her. Yesterday, we went shopping around for her next car and compared the Q7 and Lexus RX 350, and Acura MDX. The Audi seats (non-sport) in the Q7 were easily the least comfortable when compared to the others. They weren't bad, but for long rides, the others were much more softer feeling. The comfort of the seat is very important to my wife and this is the most disappointing thing with my A4 sports seats and the Q7 we tested yesterday. Perhaps this is a German thing as this is our first German car?
Old 10-09-2016, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

While it is perfectly alright to seek Owners' opinions and thoughts on seats and seat comfort, it is still best to find out what seat works for you. Here's a perfect example. I used to be an active member of the GOLFMKVI forums when I owned my GTI. Most members were raving about the GTI seats. There were a few members who bought the car based on everyone's feedback and ended up hating the seats because they found them uncomfortable or it gave them backaches. It turns out, some of those who eventually complained about seat comfort has a case of slipped disk and pinched nerves in their spinal columns. Some just dislike the seat so much that they swapped seats with Owners who have regular Golf seats.

It is best to try the car and its seats to your heart's content before making a purchase decision. If you need to take it for a longer drive through traffic or freeway, I am sure you can get your dealer to either allow you to take home the demo car or take it for a long demo drive.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plat27265
While it is perfectly alright to seek Owners' opinions and thoughts on seats and seat comfort, it is still best to find out what seat works for you. Here's a perfect example. I used to be an active member of the GOLFMKVI forums when I owned my GTI. Most members were raving about the GTI seats. There were a few members who bought the car based on everyone's feedback and ended up hating the seats because they found them uncomfortable or it gave them backaches. It turns out, some of those who eventually complained about seat comfort has a case of slipped disk and pinched nerves in their spinal columns. Some just dislike the seat so much that they swapped seats with Owners who have regular Golf seats.

It is best to try the car and its seats to your heart's content before making a purchase decision. If you need to take it for a longer drive through traffic or freeway, I am sure you can get your dealer to either allow you to take home the demo car or take it for a long demo drive.
Very good advice here. Seat comfort is so personal and so subjective that is a mistake to base a decision on comfort from anyone other than those who will actually be using the seats. The best you can do IMO is to do your research and testing and in the end hope it was the correct decision.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

The one thing about the A4 that disappoints me a bit is seat comfort. The standard leather seats are much less comfortable to me than the seats in the 2005 Acura TL I had prior. I do find my lower back becoming somewhat sore after two hours or so of driving even though I have no back issues.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the Sport seats in my B9 are about the most comfortable car seats I have ever had. They are firm but still supple, have supportive bolsters, have great movable thigh extensions, plus the power lumbar gives me nice support even though I like to sit down in the seat a little. I test drove a car with the standard seats and they were pretty good too, but the Sport seats were a major part of why I insisted on the Sports Package for my B9.

But hey, this is just me and someone else may come to a completely different conclusion.

Here is a pic of my Sport Package seats.
Attached Thumbnails Regular vs Sport Seats-photo259.jpg  

Last edited by Dave W; 10-09-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a bad back as well, and I think the sport seats are much better than the regular seats mainly because of the thigh extension. It really helps your lower back on longer trips.

However, everyone who has a bad back is slightly different. For example, I hear many people talk about how important lumbar support is. But I don't notice much of a difference either way with lumbar. It's more in the thighs and legs where I notice it -- if the seat bottom is too short, it is uncomfortable for me.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric5273
I have a bad back as well, and I think the sport seats are much better than the regular seats mainly because of the thigh extension. It really helps your lower back on longer trips.

However, everyone who has a bad back is slightly different. For example, I hear many people talk about how important lumbar support is. But I don't notice much of a difference either way with lumbar. It's more in the thighs and legs where I notice it -- if the seat bottom is too short, it is uncomfortable for me.
Exactly. I've also had occasional back issues and I find that seats with short bottoms give me a back ache. I drove an A6 loaner with standard seats and found them very uncomfortable. Same with an ES350 loaner when I had my GS F Sport. If the front of your legs aren't supported your back isn't supported. I find the Sport Seats in my A4 very comfortable. I am only 5'8", but I still have the thigh extenders out by one click. This could very well come down to the length of one's legs vs. one's torso. And like you, I find very little difference in comfort from the lumbar support.

In any case, I agree that the OP needs to try both and make his own decisions.

Quick Reply: Regular vs Sport Seats