A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Removing Latch Release Lever

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Latch Release Lever

Hello,

I'm trying to remove the Latch Release Lever in order to remove the Front Driver Sill so that I can route my dashcam wires. Does anyone know how to remove the lever? I downloaded the manuals from edwin, but I'm still not able to really understand how to do it:

Can anyone help?
Old 12-04-2018, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Are you sure you need to do this? I started installing my dash cam last weekend and haven't finished yet, but I think it's possible to fish power cables from the A pillar down to the dead pedal fuse box without removing the hood release lever if you instead remove the driver's side dashboard fuse panel cover.

After removing the fuse panel cover, you can remove the hard plastic trim piece to the left of the cover, and this looks like it provides enough room to route the wires through the A pillar and down to the dead pedal by going behind the dash and under the carpet rather than down through the lower trim piece.

Last edited by SDakota; 12-04-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SDakota
Are you sure you need to do this? I started installing my dash cam last weekend and haven't finished yet, but I think it's possible to fish power cables from the A pillar down to the dead pedal fuse box without removing the hood release lever if you instead remove the driver's side dashboard fuse panel cover.
Thanks for the suggestion! If it was only hardwiring, you'd be correct. However, I'm trying to hardwire the dashcam using a Celllink Neo battery pack, and I would like to secure it under the driver seat. I'm trying to route the wires from under the seat, under the carpet, under the front sill panel, and to the dead pedal fuse box for the battery power/ground wires, and dashcam wire up the A-pillar.

I've found a few videos of older A4s and a MK7s where there seems to be a black clip that retains the lever and is easily removable. Sadly, this design doesn't seem to be used for the B9s..😒🤦*♂️ I'm betting that removing this lever is relatively simple once it's explained, but my google-fu hasn't turned up any results.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestion. If I was just hardwiring, that'd absolutely be fine. However, I'm trying to hardwire using the Celllink Neo battery and secure it under the driver's seat. I'd like to route all the wires from under the seat, under the carpet near the front sill, under the front sill panel, and connect the battery power/ground wires to the dead pedal fuse box. For the dashcam wire, it'd continue up the A-pillar past the fuse box.

I saw a few videos for an old A4
and MK6
where the latch lever is held by an easily removable black clip, but Audi decided to be special with the B9s ����*♂️ I'm betting it's pretty simple once someone explains it, but my google-fu hasn't turned up any results.

Last edited by deekay11; 12-11-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestion. If I was going to directly hardwire, you'd be correct. However, I'm trying to hardwire using a Celllink NEO battery. I want to route the wires under the seat, under the carpet near the front sill, under the front sill panel, and to the dead pedal fuse box for the battery power/ground wires. The camera wire would follow the same path but continue up to the A-pillar.

I saw some youtube videos where the older A4s and VWs have an easily removable black clip. Unfortunately, it seems like Audi wanted to make the B9s extra special. I'm sure it's relatively easy to get the lever off once it's explained. However, my google-fu hasn't found any results so I'm hoping someone on this forum can help out.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay11
I'm trying to hardwire using a Celllink NEO battery. I want to route the wires under the seat, under the carpet near the front sill, under the front sill panel, and to the dead pedal fuse box for the battery power/ground wires. The camera wire would follow the same path but continue up to the A-pillar.
securityguy did this - you might want to send him a private message to see if he can elaborate on his installation.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...2945098/page4/
Old 12-05-2018, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I will PM him. Thanks!

Last edited by deekay11; 12-11-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So securityguy did not take off the front sill panel. But I have finally managed to figure it out. It was annoying and took some time, and I'm glad I got it out.

As illustrated in the manual I posted above, there is a tab that you have to push into in order to slide the lever off. I used a pin tool to push it. I don't understand why Audi decided to make it particularly difficult for the B9 A4s.

This is the view under the lever while pulling it up

View of the hole where you have to push into in order to release the tab and take the lever off.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay11
So securityguy did not take off the front sill panel. But I have finally managed to figure it out. It was annoying and took some time, and I'm glad I got it out.

As illustrated in the manual I posted above, there is a tab that you have to push into in order to slide the lever off. I used a pin tool to push it. I don't understand why Audi decided to make it particularly difficult for the B9 A4s.
Same design for removing the latch under the hood too.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Same design for removing the latch under the hood too.
Yea, but the hood latch is easily visible without a mirror

The earlier interior levers used to be a black clip that you can flip out. With the B9, you basically have to stick a pin behind the lever and keep prodding until you push in the tab.

Quick Reply: Removing Latch Release Lever