A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

repairing scratches on aluminum inlay

Old 05-19-2019, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repairing scratches on aluminum inlay

hi all, i'm brand new to this forum, about to buy today a 2018 A4 quattro (monsoon gray w/ black interior), w/ aluminum inlays. there are a few scratches on the inlays (along the dash), and i've been searching this forum for comments/threads about inlays. great forum by the way!

i like the aluminum inlay for the contrast, and i can see that many people choose to replace the inlays either with professional work or themselves. but is there an "easy" way to just polish out scratches? i've read about using sandpaper and then polish - but i'm afraid i would mess it up with the sandpaper.

very excited about my "new" car. thank you!

ps - i apologize about another inlay thread, just haven't been able to find an answer to this in my search.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by elidance
hi all, i'm brand new to this forum, about to buy today a 2018 A4 quattro (monsoon gray w/ black interior), w/ aluminum inlays. there are a few scratches on the inlays (along the dash), and i've been searching this forum for comments/threads about inlays. great forum by the way!

i like the aluminum inlay for the contrast, and i can see that many people choose to replace the inlays either with professional work or themselves. but is there an "easy" way to just polish out scratches? i've read about using sandpaper and then polish - but i'm afraid i would mess it up with the sandpaper.

very excited about my "new" car. thank you!

ps - i apologize about another inlay thread, just haven't been able to find an answer to this in my search.
I’m working on removing scratches from the piano black trim I’ve got - ordered Meguiar’s PlastX which supposedly works wonders and restores it to like new.

Don't know if it would work for you though.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BoxerBoi76
I’m working on removing scratches from the piano black trim I’ve got - ordered Meguiar’s PlastX which supposedly works wonders and restores it to like new.

Don't know if it would work for you though.
Thank you so much for your reply! Will you please let me know how it works for you? The dealership offered to discuss with their service dept about the possibility of "buffing" out the scratches, but i'm not getting my hopes up.

thanks again.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I've got aluminum trim in my A4 and there are a couple of scratches. I don't believe polishing is the solution.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Your best bet is probably to trawl eBay for replacement inlay pieces taken off a salvage car.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Is this a brushed aluminum or flat finished aluminum?
Old 05-21-2019, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thank you all! this is a flat aluminum, not brushed. btw, has anyone ever used anything like this:
https://www.rvinyl.com/Audi-3M-Vinyl-Dash-Wraps.html

vinyl wrap for inlay? looks complicated, but at the very least maybe it would protect the inlay? i've seen posts about "wrapping" the inlay, maybe this is what is meant.

thanks so much!