AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/)
-   -   Replacing my Pirellis with..... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/replacing-my-pirellis-2965303/)

HyperS4 01-09-2019 11:02 AM

Replacing my Pirellis with.....

So, as I had mentioned in another thread, the handling of my car has completely gone off the deep end. It literally understeers midway through most corners and in the wet, forget about it, Im sliding into a turn. The sad part is I have about 4/10ths left of tread, not even down to the wear bars. Ive never had a tire give up so much traction with so much life left before.

Anyway, Im hoping new tires solves this issue and its not something that I assumed was wrong with the power steering. Speaking of the new tires, Im giving really cheap tires a try. I only have about 9k miles left on my lease time so I didnt think it was really worth spending a lot on tires just to turn it in.

The tires I have chosen are Vercelli Strada II. As much as I was thinking something even as inexpensive as the General Gmax, I decided to go even cheaper. The cost of all 4 of these tires(I get them at cost through work) was about 1.5 times of what 1 well known tire would cost. Plus, Im having Costco put them on for $15/tire tonight.

Basically, the point is to give some feedback in this thread for inexpensive replacement tires for people who mostly commute but also think every corner should be hit at the apex.

munsabin 01-09-2019 11:11 AM

Hey, that's good, looking forward to the updates you have for us.
But, I'm curious. You're riding on the summer 19' pirellis right now in New Jersey?

HyperS4 01-09-2019 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by munsabin (Post 25259435)
Hey, that's good, looking forward to the updates you have for us.
But, I'm curious. You're riding on the summer 19' pirellis right now in New Jersey?

No, mine came with 18" A/S Pirelli.

antsh 01-09-2019 11:14 AM

I would strongly recommend not skimping on tires. It would be the very first place I put money into. You think you're car handling isn't good now, how much would you hate it if it was even worse with new tires. I am riding on the stock Hankooks right now (12k miles in), and am looking forward to putting on some Michelin P4S tires when these give out.

Just my two cents.

mplsbrian 01-09-2019 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by HyperS4 (Post 25259432)
Speaking of the new tires, Im giving really cheap tires a try. I only have about 9k miles left on my lease time so I didnt think it was really worth spending a lot on tires just to turn it in.
Basically, the point is to give some feedback in this thread for inexpensive replacement tires for people who mostly commute but also think every corner should be hit at the apex.

Love the spirit of this post, and in for the results, but isn't it true that you'll get dinged hard at lease return if the car is equipped with cheap tires? I thought they had to be OEM or at least comparable to OEM to pass turn in inspection with no penalty.

HyperS4 01-09-2019 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by antsh (Post 25259440)
I would strongly recommend not skimping on tires. It would be the very first place I put money into. You think you're car handling isn't good now, how much would you hate it if it was even worse with new tires. I am riding on the stock Hankooks right now (12k miles in), and am looking forward to putting on some Michelin P4S tires when these give out.

Just my two cents.

Oh, dont get me wrong, Im the first person to tell everyone that the tires are the most important part of your safety and performance. That being said, Im not about to drop a grand on tires Ill be using for 9k miles. This is basically an experiment for everyone elses sake. Can an inexpensive tire be just as good(or better?) than the OEM tires that come on the car. I did a lot of research and these Vercelli actually get rave reviews online.

This is the first lease Ive had all the way through in almost a decade. I wasnt thinking about the fact that I was keeping the car the full 3 years. If I had, I would have absolutely put on Mich A/S3 or DWS06 in the beginning and then threw on the Pirelli for lease turn in.

HyperS4 01-09-2019 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by mplsbrian (Post 25259443)
Love the spirit of this post, and in for the results, but isn't it true that you'll get dinged hard at lease return if the car is equipped with cheap tires? I thought they had to be OEM or at least comparable to OEM to pass turn in inspection with no penalty.

Nope, when the inspection is done on the car, the people doing it just make sure theres enough tread left. They dont know one tire manufacturer from another. I could tell them these tires are $1000/each and they would believe it because they never heard of them. If a dealership doesnt want to resell the car with the tires that came back on it, they decide if they want to pay to replace them. Also, not every lease turn in is kept, the majority go to auction. At auction, nobody cares about tires.

niray99 01-09-2019 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by HyperS4 (Post 25259432)
The sad part is I have about 4/10ths left of tread, not even down to the wear bars.

Pirelli Cinturato's are not great in wet. I've had one scare where the car oversteered on a sharp right angle turn on a wet day.

According to Consumer reports 4/10ths tread is the right tread depth to change tires.

vkamnyev 01-09-2019 11:56 AM

Tires is the first thing that I upgraded on my car. Went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and after a few road force balancing procedures, I couldn’t be happier. Highly recommend.

HyperS4 01-09-2019 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by vkamnyev (Post 25259460)
Tires is the first thing that I upgraded on my car. Went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and after a few road force balancing procedures, I couldn’t be happier. Highly recommend.

Well yeah, but this isnt about what you would recommend. I would recommend those tires too. This thread is about the cheap tires Im putting on my car and if they perform adequately enough to recommend. Keep up.