Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page >

Replacing my Pirellis with.....

A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Replacing my Pirellis with.....

 
Old 01-09-2019, 11:02 AM
  #1  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
HyperS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ
Posts: 2,354
Default Replacing my Pirellis with.....

So, as I had mentioned in another thread, the handling of my car has completely gone off the deep end. It literally understeers midway through most corners and in the wet, forget about it, Im sliding into a turn. The sad part is I have about 4/10ths left of tread, not even down to the wear bars. Ive never had a tire give up so much traction with so much life left before.

Anyway, Im hoping new tires solves this issue and its not something that I assumed was wrong with the power steering. Speaking of the new tires, Im giving really cheap tires a try. I only have about 9k miles left on my lease time so I didnt think it was really worth spending a lot on tires just to turn it in.

The tires I have chosen are Vercelli Strada II. As much as I was thinking something even as inexpensive as the General Gmax, I decided to go even cheaper. The cost of all 4 of these tires(I get them at cost through work) was about 1.5 times of what 1 well known tire would cost. Plus, Im having Costco put them on for $15/tire tonight.

Basically, the point is to give some feedback in this thread for inexpensive replacement tires for people who mostly commute but also think every corner should be hit at the apex.
HyperS4 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:11 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Member
 
munsabin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Don Mills, Toronto
Posts: 549
Default

Hey, that's good, looking forward to the updates you have for us.
But, I'm curious. You're riding on the summer 19' pirellis right now in New Jersey?
munsabin is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:12 AM
  #3  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
HyperS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ
Posts: 2,354
Default

Originally Posted by munsabin View Post
Hey, that's good, looking forward to the updates you have for us.
But, I'm curious. You're riding on the summer 19' pirellis right now in New Jersey?
No, mine came with 18" A/S Pirelli.
HyperS4 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:14 AM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: San Francisco, USA
Posts: 63
Default

I would strongly recommend not skimping on tires. It would be the very first place I put money into. You think you're car handling isn't good now, how much would you hate it if it was even worse with new tires. I am riding on the stock Hankooks right now (12k miles in), and am looking forward to putting on some Michelin P4S tires when these give out.

Just my two cents.
antsh is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:20 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest US
Posts: 969
Default

Originally Posted by HyperS4 View Post
Speaking of the new tires, Im giving really cheap tires a try. I only have about 9k miles left on my lease time so I didnt think it was really worth spending a lot on tires just to turn it in.
...
Basically, the point is to give some feedback in this thread for inexpensive replacement tires for people who mostly commute but also think every corner should be hit at the apex.
Love the spirit of this post, and in for the results, but isn't it true that you'll get dinged hard at lease return if the car is equipped with cheap tires? I thought they had to be OEM or at least comparable to OEM to pass turn in inspection with no penalty.
mplsbrian is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:22 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
HyperS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ
Posts: 2,354
Default

Originally Posted by antsh View Post
I would strongly recommend not skimping on tires. It would be the very first place I put money into. You think you're car handling isn't good now, how much would you hate it if it was even worse with new tires. I am riding on the stock Hankooks right now (12k miles in), and am looking forward to putting on some Michelin P4S tires when these give out.

Just my two cents.
Oh, dont get me wrong, Im the first person to tell everyone that the tires are the most important part of your safety and performance. That being said, Im not about to drop a grand on tires Ill be using for 9k miles. This is basically an experiment for everyone elses sake. Can an inexpensive tire be just as good(or better?) than the OEM tires that come on the car. I did a lot of research and these Vercelli actually get rave reviews online.

This is the first lease Ive had all the way through in almost a decade. I wasnt thinking about the fact that I was keeping the car the full 3 years. If I had, I would have absolutely put on Mich A/S3 or DWS06 in the beginning and then threw on the Pirelli for lease turn in.
HyperS4 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
HyperS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ
Posts: 2,354
Default

Originally Posted by mplsbrian View Post
Love the spirit of this post, and in for the results, but isn't it true that you'll get dinged hard at lease return if the car is equipped with cheap tires? I thought they had to be OEM or at least comparable to OEM to pass turn in inspection with no penalty.
Nope, when the inspection is done on the car, the people doing it just make sure theres enough tread left. They dont know one tire manufacturer from another. I could tell them these tires are $1000/each and they would believe it because they never heard of them. If a dealership doesnt want to resell the car with the tires that came back on it, they decide if they want to pay to replace them. Also, not every lease turn in is kept, the majority go to auction. At auction, nobody cares about tires.
HyperS4 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:33 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 66
Default

Originally Posted by HyperS4 View Post
The sad part is I have about 4/10ths left of tread, not even down to the wear bars.
Pirelli Cinturato's are not great in wet. I've had one scare where the car oversteered on a sharp right angle turn on a wet day.

According to Consumer reports 4/10ths tread is the right tread depth to change tires.
niray99 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:56 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Dayton/OH
Posts: 168
Default

Tires is the first thing that I upgraded on my car. Went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and after a few road force balancing procedures, I couldn’t be happier. Highly recommend.
vkamnyev is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:57 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Super User
Thread Starter
 
HyperS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ
Posts: 2,354
Default

Originally Posted by vkamnyev View Post
Tires is the first thing that I upgraded on my car. Went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and after a few road force balancing procedures, I couldn’t be happier. Highly recommend.
Well yeah, but this isnt about what you would recommend. I would recommend those tires too. This thread is about the cheap tires Im putting on my car and if they perform adequately enough to recommend. Keep up.
HyperS4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing my Pirellis with.....


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: