A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Replacing my Pirellis with.....

Old 01-09-2019, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Well yeah, but this isnt about what you would recommend. I would recommend those tires too. This thread is about the cheap tires Im putting on my car and if they perform adequately enough to recommend. Keep up.
lol. sorry - scrolled too quickly on the phone. i can't recommend any cheap tires, but curious where you land and some feedback.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
lol. sorry - scrolled too quickly on the phone. i can't recommend any cheap tires, but curious where you land and some feedback.
Its all good, this is a fun place. This thread is meant for educational purposes mostly. Im not suggesting anyone skimp on the safety or performance of their vehicles.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Its all good, this is a fun place. This thread is meant for educational purposes mostly. Im not suggesting anyone skimp on the safety or performance of their vehicles.
Can you let us know your impressions on how the Costco installation goes? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dave W
Can you let us know your impressions on how the Costco installation goes? Thanks in advance.
Yeah absolutely, heading directly there after work. I called earlier and they said walk-ins welcome. No need to make an appointment. Also, no fuss about me bringing my own tires, still the same charge of $15/tire for install. Ill keep you all posted.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OK, so I just got home about a half hour ago. Here's how it went at Costco....

When I got there I went to the counter and the guy there said he couldnt take me tonight because it was just him and one other guy. Frustrated, I said I had called earlier and they said I didnt need an appointment, I could just walk in. I explained that I already had the tires in my car and I was going to make it easy and pull the wheel nut plugs out before they pull it in.

The guy(Rob) said ok, but it might be about 2 hours before they get done. Meh, I get it, I said ok Ill wait.

I went to my car, took all the plugs out and got the key lock out and put it in my cup holder. Walked back to Rob and handed him my key. Asked if there was any good place to eat other than Costco. They said there was a Moe's around the corner. First thing I asked was if he and the other guy working wanted me to bring any food back for them. They both appreciated the offer but declined.

Came back about a half hour later after eating and my car was already pulled in. Thanked them for getting it in already and casually mentioned the tire pressure I wanted on the front and the rear. They thanked me for the information and the offer for food again. Told me to just hang out inside and they would grab me when it was ready.

About a half hour later they came and got me, car was finished(the other cars that were having tires done were still in the shop btw). Rob walked me to the car and let me do a walk around(Everything looked fine). He mentioned the tires were directional and that I could only rotate them front and back, not side to side(I knew this already) and I thanked him for pointing that out(doubt other places would have told the customer that). They told me how much they liked my car and said they would pull it out for me. I handed Rob an extra $20 and thanked him for the quick service. Total came to $63+20. I was totally ok with that.

I didnt really get a chance to test out the tires but I have a 140 round trip commute tomorrow including the Turnpike, so I should be able to test some high speed stability and other things. Ill report back on that.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

OK, so I just got home about a half hour ago. Here's how it went at Costco....

When I got there I went to the counter and the guy there said he couldnt take me tonight because it was just him and one other guy. Frustrated, I said I had called earlier and they said I didnt need an appointment, I could just walk in. I explained that I already had the tires in my car and I was going to make it easy and pull the wheel nut plugs out before they pull it in.

The guy(Rob) said ok, but it might be about 2 hours before they get done. Meh, I get it, I said ok Ill wait.

I went to my car, took all the plugs out and got the key lock out and put it in my cup holder. Walked back to Rob and handed him my key. Asked if there was any good place to eat other than Costco. They said there was a Moe's around the corner. First thing I asked was if he and the other guy working wanted me to bring any food back for them. They both appreciated the offer but declined.

Came back about a half hour later after eating and my car was already pulled in. Thanked them for getting it in already and casually mentioned the tire pressure I wanted on the front and the rear. They thanked me for the information and the offer for food again. Told me to just hang out inside and they would grab me when it was ready.

About a half hour later they came and got me, car was finished(the other cars that were having tires done were still in the shop btw). Rob walked me to the car and let me do a walk around(Everything looked fine). He mentioned the tires were directional and that I could only rotate them front and back, not side to side(I knew this already) and I thanked him for pointing that out(doubt other places would have told the customer that). They told me how much they liked my car and said they would pull it out for me. I handed Rob an extra $20 and thanked him for the quick service. Total came to $63+20. I was totally ok with that.

I didnt really get a chance to test out the tires but I have a 140 round trip commute tomorrow including the Turnpike, so I should be able to test some high speed stability and other things. Ill report back on that.
Good story - so far. Thanks for posting; looking forward to report.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Update 2:

Had a good 70 mile drive to work this morning, definitely a good heat cycling. It was highway about 65 of those miles. I was averaging consistent speeds under triple digits. So far, I have nothing negative to say about the tires. They are quiet, comfortable and track straight. First thing I noticed is how they dont tramline like my worn Pirellis did. The only problem, and I cant say it was the tires fault yet, but when I was cruising at those speeds we had some gusty winds. The car was definitely getting knocked around a bit and felt wallowy. Granted, Ive had an issue with this car in windy conditions since it was new, but I just wanted to bring it up again. I didnt have time to check the tire pressure this morning, but I did notice a bit more sound to the tire when I hit something. Whether it was a rumble strip or imperfect pavement, there was definitely more of an audible "twang" than I felt there was on my Pirelli. But like I mentioned earlier, when on smooth pavement they were just as quiet with no hum present. Ill get another high(er) speed heat cycle on the way home tonight. Tomorrow Ill be able to test the handling a little better on my normal commute.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I love this post! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to the update. For the lulz, was there a tire you found that was even cheaper that made you write it off, even for this purpose?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all the updates Hyper. Good info to know.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by justbreddy
I love this post! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to the update. For the lulz, was there a tire you found that was even cheaper that made you write it off, even for this purpose?
Actually, there were a few in the running; LEXANI®LXUHP-207, ACHILLES®2233, DELINTE®DH2, and IRONMAN®IMOVE GEN2 AS. I was honestly going to get the Ironman's but then I found the Vercelli reviews to be outstanding and it seemed like a little better performer in the snow. FWIW. the Vercelli are within $5 of the least expensive in the group. So, essentially, there wasnt anything significantly cheaper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing my Pirellis with.....