A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Retrofitted: Ambient lightning (Just like the Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dseag2
When I first start the car the lights along the door panels shine red but they quickly turn to white. If I could just get them to stay red to break up the monotony I would be a happy camper. I wonder if this is just a coding fix?
Would love to see a photo of them lit white... I bet it looks great!
Old 10-27-2016, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Found this out today on a C7 but not sure if it'll work on the B9 yet, if it does then it is a much easier mod. We switched the polarity of the door panel ambient light bar on the C7 and it went from white to red! Just pull the 2 wires out and swap em.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by meowmix52
Are you in the US? When was your model produced?

Premium Plus models usually have the wires clipped for the RGB modules that can make it white. My Premium Plus A4 w/ Technology only has the recessed white lighting but the strip turns off right after it flashes red.

Maybe they made a mistake on your model? In that case sounds like you can probably program in different colors using OBDEleven or something.
Even my car has only the red light. It lights up in red and then goes off. Doesn't change to white.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Sorry, my mistake. They do glow red when I first start the car, then they turn off.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeAllenPro
TLDR:

Here's some photos of my final result: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hel6ny57u...upsDGN8Oa?dl=0
First off, great work you've presented an opportunity that most people without that section of ambient lighting didn't think was possible.

Quick question, after you retrofitted the new LED into the existing housing, was it a plug and play application or does this require soddering to the existing wiring because it was cut (maybe i missed that part)? I'd like to do this to my incoming A4 if I don't go with the P+
Old 01-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How did you manage to get the door panels off?
Old 03-12-2017, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update on ambient lighting

Just bought a 2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus which stated it had ambient lighting which it does but it isn't configurable other than level of brightness. Default color in mine is white, which is pretty. With my option packages and resulting pricing, it would've been worth it to go with Prestige to get the color changing ambient lighting (I thought I was getting). Wanted to share here as this wasn't clear in Audi product materials and my dealer didn't know either.

Ambient lighting turns red upon starting car (gorgeous but I agree could get tiresome) then turns white. MMI and in car settings only get you to brightness of the only white color option.

Thank you you so much for the details on how to possibly "hack" it to display other colors. Since the same strips of lighting demonstrate their ability to also be red, I was curious

Wishing I'd done Prestige but it's a great car. If I can find a shop (or Audi Service) that can do something similar to what you did without voiding my warranty) I'll do it!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jill.renee9
Just bought a 2017 Audi Q7 Premium Plus which stated it had ambient lighting which it does but it isn't configurable other than level of brightness. Default color in mine is white, which is pretty. With my option packages and resulting pricing, it would've been worth it to go with Prestige to get the color changing ambient lighting (I thought I was getting). Wanted to share here as this wasn't clear in Audi product materials and my dealer didn't know either.

Ambient lighting turns red upon starting car (gorgeous but I agree could get tiresome) then turns white. MMI and in car settings only get you to brightness of the only white color option.

Thank you you so much for the details on how to possibly "hack" it to display other colors. Since the same strips of lighting demonstrate their ability to also be red, I was curious

Wishing I'd done Prestige but it's a great car. If I can find a shop (or Audi Service) that can do something similar to what you did without voiding my warranty) I'll do it!
I'm guessing what Audi means by ambient lighting is just the lights on the door panel and foot wells and stuff. Just that in the Premium and Premium plus, it's white and I'm the Prestige, one can change colors.
And I don't think Audi service will do the mod for you. You could take it to a mod friendly shop and show them this thread and ask them to do it for yoi if you can't do a DIY.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JoeAllenPro
I initially thought that illuminating these LEDs would simply be a matter or re-attaching some wiring and providing power to the module. It turns out however that the module also required a data signal from the car with information such as the light colour and brightness etc. These LEDs are not set up in the same way as regular SMD 5050 RGB LEDs.
Hi
I love your mod. As an electronics/software/techie person, I wonder whether we could look into the data signals required for this and mock them up? I have used multicolour RGB LED strips before, but never put much thought to the control harness. I imagine there would be a power circuit and then additional lines to specify hue and flash. Would that account for the 4 wires in the Audi module? If so, wouldnt the info coming from the MMI be similar to the modules you buy commercially? Anyway, food for thought.

I have just bought my first Audi (after wanting one for a decade), a 3-door 2015 S-Line 1.4TFSI. I am hoping to add ambient lighting and your two projects are going to be very helpful in achieving that (so thanks for sharing).

I have only had the car a week, so am yet to go through all the menus, but am pretty sure I dont have any interior LED lighting and will have to add it all from scratch. Once I get the door trim off I will send a photo of the inside of mine. Do you have any helpful resources on disassembling the car (as i dont want to break anything on my new baby)? Like a maintenance manual or Haynes equivalent?

Any other information greatly accepted too (seriously, I have a list things I want to figure out/change, not least of which is why the damn MMI scroll wheel seems back to front to me)

Thanks
Robyn
Old 08-10-2017, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dseag2
When I first start the car the lights along the door panels shine red but they quickly turn to white. If I could just get them to stay red to break up the monotony I would be a happy camper. I wonder if this is just a coding fix?
this is what I'm wondering as well. I'd be happy just to have the side warning lights stay illuminated red at night. This seems to be something that can be achieved through coding rather than re wiring the door, no ?

Quick Reply: Retrofitted: Ambient lightning (Just like the Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack)