A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Retrofitted: Ambient lightning (Just like the Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 720 Likes on 499 Posts

Retrofitting this is going to be a lot of work. Every RGB light module sits on the LIN Bus, but the white ones dont. So you are going to have to wire them up individually, hoping that at each location, the module in your car has the space for the wiring. Also coding is needed to get the MMI screens. The B9 doesn't have any centre console LEDs.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LaZyB0ne
The pictures for the kit only show the Q7. I cant get my browser to translate the page either.

I'm in a B9 Allroad. I don't understand why you'd need to change out the vents and center console trim pieces.
My center console already has LEDs in the cup holder and both sides have the light strip.

But what's interesting about this kit is from the pictures at least it shows them changing the color through the MMI? How? Needs coding to enable screen?
Also, what really needs to be done to actually wiring everything up? Is that hard?

This does seem like a lot of work.

I guess I'd be happy if there was a kit or simpler way to upgrade all the LEDs to a different color other than white.
I'd probably be willing to swap some led bulbs out if I meant I could have ambient lighting.
the Q7 has ambient lighting strips across the vents which the A4 doesn’t, that’s why those are there. 👍🏻
Old 04-05-2019, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got an 2019 Q7 Premium. When I start the car the bright led goes on red in the center and the doors. then it goes out. I dont have the white light as the P+ package does. My question, can I do something to enable the white light with a software hack ?
Old 05-05-2019, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeAllenPro

and then wiring this into the same circuit powering the white LEDs inside the door trim panels.
Do you have any more info you could share on how you wired this into the same circuit? And/or pics?
Old 05-29-2019, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine doesn't have the RGB with the wire cut, just an empty black place holder.

I'm thinking about getting the colored leds you posted from ebay. I really like the blue, any experience with this color?

Also curious as to why you didn't replace the other white led and BO speaker trim in the door panel as well with red leds?

Old 08-22-2019, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi. I've been watching the post and I'm very interested in it. I change the interior of my car and the door panels have the ambient light plus (attached photo of my door panel).

Would it be possible to turn it into the normal environment by Installing the G4 3 SMD LED 12V the one the partner talked about? If so, what wires would be positive and negative?

P.S. I will also install the LEDs of the center console and the feet.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McMahon007
Hi. I've been watching the post and I'm very interested in it. I change the interior of my car and the door panels have the ambient light plus (attached photo of my door panel).

Would it be possible to turn it into the normal environment by Installing the G4 3 SMD LED 12V the one the partner talked about? If so, what wires would be positive and negative?

P.S. I will also install the LEDs of the center console and the feet.
I already did this mod and replaced the door panels with Alcantara ones with leather armrests and mine also had the RGB LEDs.

I tested them out and I was not able to get power to some of the leds due to not having the correct plug/connector for the door control module. It was way too much work so I swapped my non-RGB and wiring from my stock door panels over to the new ones. A bit of a pain but everything is back to working as is.

This is the extra plug you need on the control module.

This is the one that I had see the missing connector

Then I purchased the G4 3 SMD LEDs that were listed above, but the seller sent me the wrong ones by accident and I had to return them, that took over a month and a half being he's in the U.K and was on vacation at the time. I haven't gotten around to reordering them either.

What lightning package does your car currently have installed?

Last edited by LaZyB0ne; 08-24-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

So I see lots of retrofit kits online for installing the multi color led lighting. The issue is no one seems to know how to wire it into a non multi colored car. I did however get some information on the coding required for the mmi control. I was under the impression the 4 wires on the factory rgbw led units are positive negative and Lin bus pos, neg.

Any new information on this?
Old 08-25-2019, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm sorry for my mistakes with the English I'm not with me today my cousin who helped me translate I don't defend myself well with the English I help myself with translators sometimes. LaZyB0ne then so I see you had the same problem that I had when changing the panels of the doors that came with the lighting rbg and you had to change the modules of the doors because you could not get out of nowhere the necessary current. Out of curiosity, with the new modules did not work the lighting rbg? or do you not know the coding? How can I see that you say that you have changed the wiring to leave it in the basic lighting. Could you tell me which module exactly you have on now or where you bought it? I was looking for eBay and similar with the reference you see in the photo and none has the connector you tell me and also how you modified exactly to be able to do it me. I suppose that the connectors that go to the led projector have to disconnect 2 cables and that would be enough to leave positive and negative for the new projector.

Alpina540i I have an acquaintance who has the lighting rbg and has passed the coding I will see if I can convince him to disassemble and see how the cables are connected to the modules but is a little reluctant to disassemble and I think I will not be able to convince him.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LaZyB0ne
I already did this mod and replaced the door panels with Alcantara ones with leather armrests and mine also had the RGB LEDs.

I tested them out and I was not able to get power to some of the leds due to not having the correct plug/connector for the door control module. It was way too much work so I swapped my non-RGB and wiring from my stock door panels over to the new ones. A bit of a pain but everything is back to working as is.

This is the extra plug you need on the control module.

This is the one that I had see the missing connector

Then I purchased the G4 3 SMD LEDs that were listed above, but the seller sent me the wrong ones by accident and I had to return them, that took over a month and a half being he's in the U.K and was on vacation at the time. I haven't gotten around to reordering them either.

What lightning package does your car currently have installed?

My car doesn't have any ambient light, I want to instal the basic one or the RGB, any of them.by the way, I found this. It is in Spanish but I think that , with this, It would be possible to give electricity and bus lin to the onw that, like me, have the cable in order not to have to change the module. and if it is not possible , at least, being able to put the negative and positive so as to change the RBG light into the basic one (by changing the leds by other ones which are not RBG)

Retrofitted: Ambient lightning (Just like the Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack)-a8exsq9.jpg

Retrofitted: Ambient lightning (Just like the Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack)-bchwvsr.jpg

Quick Reply: Retrofitted: Ambient lightning (Just like the Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack)