A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

RUST PROOFING: is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

....because the warranty covers rust THROUGH the metal....this surface rust is not covered by Audi....THAT is why they didn't pay for it, not a design flaw. All manufacturers would have handled this the same way. There are tens of thousands of those cars with zero rust, so it has to do more with your harsh climate than a design flaw. However the design could be improved...and they did.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You folks in Quebec/Alberta have way lower temperatures where a salt is not working anymore so you've got lot of dirt gravel "sandblasting" the cars....I have seen cars (any cars not just audi) no paint (or more like craters) at direct expose looks pretty ugly
Old 12-09-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
....because the warranty covers rust THROUGH the metal....this surface rust is not covered by Audi....THAT is why they didn't pay for it, not a design flaw. All manufacturers would have handled this the same way. There are tens of thousands of those cars with zero rust, so it has to do more with your harsh climate than a design flaw. However the design could be improved...and they did.
Most car manufacturer properly protects this area on their car: Honda, Mazda, Toyota, GM and even Ford. That a premium brand does not, I call this a design flaw. A lot of people in Findland had the same issue and Audi replaced their fenders. Also, according to someone in Findland, the issue was caused by the wheel well liner on the earlier B8, it was made with some kind of felt that was rubing on the edge of the sheet metal causing the paint to chip and it spreads outwards causing the damage seen on the picture. This liner was replaced by a plastic liner on the facelift B8, again: design flaw.

People buy Audi because of Quattro in harsh climate, the car should be able to handle it, at least as well as an Hyundai !
Old 12-12-2017, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
The car's body (and steel panels) are all dipped in zinc, a rust inhibitor that fills every nook and cranny. The during production the cars again have seams and openings sealed and filled with fillers. Then the underneath side of the car is sprayed with another coating to protect it from salt water during shipping, and a majority of that stays on the car for a very, very, very long time. And then the wheel wells are completely lined with plastic/felt/composite material and covers all metal. So......yes or no? The car has immense protection from the factory. Does "rustproofing" add provide additional protection? Yes...to a degree, it is another line of protection. Is rustproofing magical and amazing? Not really. It helps some, and comes with a warranty. The factory already has a 10 year warranty, and what the rustproofing warranty is varies by the manufacturer. Have you seen any rusting Audi's as a chronic problem in the last 10 years? I doubt it. So....how long are you going to keep the car and how long is the warranty?

All in all, it seem like a very limited enhancement that likely commands a premium price. 15 or 20 years ago rustproofing was doing something the car didn't have put on from the factory. Now it's largely a second application of something similar (slightly enhanced). If it were me I would save my money and skip it (and this is coming from someone that worked in the auto industry for a number of years at a high-line store. We didn't sell rustproofing, the excellent build quality from the factory made it irrelavant and we didn't sell this product). It's basically a corrosion warranty, a problem rarely occurring on a modern car today.
I had rust on my 2006 A4 around 2011. This was on my avant model back ceiling brakelight. No wonder the current versions are designed differently. I remember this was a common problem. When i tried to look for spare Avant back door, many of them had rust issues around the same area.
The following users liked this post:
330busdriver (05-04-2022)
Old 10-07-2021, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by R8ready
Hey guys

I'm getting mixed answers about rust proofing my car.

People say Audi does some sort of corrosion proof before they build the car.

Others say I should

Any thoughts?
This is a late post but to whom it may concern, YES, defiantly needs rust proofing. The exterior chassis is double walled and galvanized but the underside is the weak spot especially the under side, sub frames and any steel component which pretty much crumbles. There is a mechanical in NY who documents a few multi point inspections on relatively new models and its an eye opener what happens after a few years inducing RS models and the dynamic suspension hydraulic lines.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn6...MmYjjBg/videos
Old 10-07-2021, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob_F
This is a late post but to whom it may concern, YES, defiantly needs rust proofing. The exterior chassis is double walled and galvanized but the underside is the weak spot especially the under side, sub frames and any steel component which pretty much crumbles. There is a mechanical in NY who documents a few multi point inspections on relatively new models and its an eye opener what happens after a few years inducing RS models and the dynamic suspension hydraulic lines.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn6...MmYjjBg/videos
I'm not clicking on a boobtube link.

What do you mean by rustproofing? Is it a strip down to metal, chemical treatment then a rubbery overcoat?

"rustproofing" could mean my oily pectorals touching an exposed metal. Bottom line, this word means many different things.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rennen-affe
I'm not clicking on a boobtube link.

What do you mean by rustproofing? Is it a strip down to metal, chemical treatment then a rubbery overcoat?

"rustproofing" could mean my oily pectorals touching an exposed metal. Bottom line, this word means many different things.
The ways that im familiar with:
1: If its a brand new car, clean and rust free, it can get the rubberize spray under coating on the chassis as it will stick to the painted metal
2: Otherwise use the oil/ wax spray undercoating, typically a Krown or Fluid film, it wont hurt plastic or rubber and can be applied to all parts on the underside (chassis, sub frame, drive shafts)

We have had 2 new cars & suv (Honda & Toyota) with the rubberized undercoating out of the dealer as recommended and 1-2 touch ups using Fluid Film over the years on the remaining orange bits, in a climate where there is salt sprayed in the winter. Both cars are over 10 years and black underneath and no rusted bolts or control arms. The problem and trend i have seen is Audi has sold the customer the "rust proof car" and does not recommend additional rust protection. Either these are lease cars or owners dont care and buy into the rust proof car sales pitch. The worst case of rust after 10 years that i have seen in any vehicle is a B7 Audi which was bone dry underneath, no oil/ wax, no rubberized coating. The rear sub frame was flaking rust chips and a lot of rust, the exterior body on the other hand was in very good shape and well maintained.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll stop you at 1.

These cars have rubberized undercoating (USA 2019, late 2018 build). It rubs off.

Cosmoline is a factory thing (under/frame spray), that's 2.

So on 1. I'm guessing it's a rubberized spray over a oem rubberized spray. Nothing wrong with that, but prep work is key for aftermarket work. Otherwise, you are just doing a lipstick on a pig imho.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Interesting note, i dont know what Audi is doing right now, from experience, Audi B5 came with a solid rubberized undercarriage, and not many plastic shields, did not have rust issues, Audi B7, B8, plastic shields covers most of the underside, and no additional coating other then seam sealer, lost of underside rust, B9? i haven't seen one underneath or what then pre delivery prep is.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I live in Maine. We get plenty of salt and snow, and I say nope. Wash the car, wax the car, drive the car. I've had a couple of 10-year VWs that were rust free with no extra care. I hope the same for my A4, my first Audi.

Quick Reply: RUST PROOFING: is it worth it?