A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Seeing Waze ... or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
Agree about the pan/zoom. My eyes are really lousy and I don't have too much trouble reading whatever I need to read. I use it mainly for the alerts.

I do wish it would let us report incidents even when we aren't using it to navigate to a destination. One would think they would want as many reporters as possible.
You can report incidents on the Waze MMI screen even though you're not using it to navigate. Select the round icon on the bottom left of the screen. If it is red, turn your MMI dial until the icon turns blue. Then press the dial and you will have a screen letting you report police, accidents, construction, etc. Just select the one your want by turning the dial then press it.

Edit: Oops, sorry! Did not see the post above.

Last edited by A4Driver; 08-27-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
Some of us are able to view Waze/Google Maps on the MMI screen while also viewing or using the Audi nav on the VC.
In my case, if I choose a destination in Audi nav, put the VC on the nav screen and then tell Waze or Google Maps to navigate to a destination the Audi nav will remain on the VC. I can't have both navigating at the same time, but I can view them both at the same time. For reasons we have not been able to pin down, not everyone is able to do this. I have a very early build. Perhaps the software has changed since.
Seems I'm a bit late to the party as this has been discussed before. I suppose the coding/adaptions of vehicles responding differently have been compared to see if there is a difference?
Old 08-27-2017, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
Without going into why this works, you can have Waze navigate to a destination while viewing MMI maps on your VC. You can also have MMI maps also actively navigate too. You cannot have Google Maps do the same, however.

Here's what you do to get rid of the crazy compass:

-- Start navigation in Waze by entering in a destination. You'll see the compass take over VC maps tab when you do

-- Use voice reco to navigate to a destination by tapping the steering wheel voice button once and speaking (such as "navigate home" if you have home set).

-- The MMI center screen will also switch focus to MMI maps navigation.

-- You can then optionally press the steering wheel button and say "cancel navigation" and the TBT directions will cancel.

-- Hit "MENU" in MMI, twirl down to AA menu item, then SELECT -- you should see that Waze is still navigating to the route you selected in step 1. And the VC should still be showing MMI maps

Note that if you replace Waze as your navigation app with Google Maps and repeat the steps above, you will find that Google Maps stops navigating (but will still show you a map!) if you start MMI maps navigation.
Thanks for the explanation. I really hope this will work for me. We don't get life traffic info in South Africa on the Audi Nav. I was hoping to overcome this, but using Google Maps/Waze in conjunction with Audi Nav, because using the direction of the Audi Nav are displayed in the Head Up display, which makes it so much easier to follow. I was planning to ignore the route of the Audi Nav if Waze suggests a faster route, but when both Audi Nav and Waze have the same instructions, follow the directions in the Head Up display. But at least, being able to see the maps in the VC, will be a 100 times better than the stupid compass. Can't imagine why they did it like this.

EDIT: I tried your suggestion - no way I could fool the VC to display the maps while Android Auto navigation is active. This is a real bummer and frustrating. This does not make sense at all - why would one pay for both if only one can be used at any time. And why only disable it in the VC, but not on the MMI screen? Is that not the purpose of the VC - to make it easier to look at the maps while driving?

Last edited by BFN949; 08-27-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BFN949
Thanks for the explanation. I really hope this will work for me. We don't get life traffic info in South Africa on the Audi Nav. I was hoping to overcome this, but using Google Maps/Waze in conjunction with Audi Nav, because using the direction of the Audi Nav are displayed in the Head Up display, which makes it so much easier to follow. I was planning to ignore the route of the Audi Nav if Waze suggests a faster route, but when both Audi Nav and Waze have the same instructions, follow the directions in the Head Up display. But at least, being able to see the maps in the VC, will be a 100 times better than the stupid compass. Can't imagine why they did it like this.

EDIT: I tried your suggestion - no way I could fool the VC to display the maps while Android Auto navigation is active. This is a real bummer and frustrating. This does not make sense at all - why would one pay for both if only one can be used at any time. And why only disable it in the VC, but not on the MMI screen? Is that not the purpose of the VC - to make it easier to look at the maps while driving?
Follow my exact steps with WAZE (not Google Maps) and this will work. It does not work with Google Maps, just Waze, as they have a bug in not acting on MMI telling it to stop navigating.

Last edited by scoopman; 08-28-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Seems I'm a bit late to the party as this has been discussed before. I suppose the coding/adaptions of vehicles responding differently have been compared to see if there is a difference?
Everyone should be able to view maps on both Google Maps & Waze via Android Auto as well as VC MMI Maps at the same time.

The silliness happens when you ask Android Auto's navigation apps to navigate somewhere -- This causes the VC to switch to a compass to guard against two systems both providing turn driving instructions.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Follow my exact steps with WAZE (not Google Maps) and this will work. It does not work with Google Maps, just Waze, as they have a bug in not acting on MMI telling it to stop navigating.
I tried again and it does work as you explained, thanks very much. (I must have tried it with Google Maps.) I have to add that I used the Audi Navigation for the first time yesterday in heavy traffic conditions. I've had it in my previous 3 Audi's, but the current version of the Audi Navigation is substantially better, especially the instructions displayed in the Head Up display. And the traffic information seems to be fairly good as well. And it seems less complicated to use as well, in particular when adding a destination.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So you are sure that you followed the exact steps I outlined with WAZE -- not Google Maps -- selected as your mapping app? These steps work just dandy on my S5 Sportback, and they rely upon quirks of Waze on the phone, and should have nothing to do with any variances in car implementation version.

Try again, but follow EXACTLY the steps I wrote, their order is important. You must start Waze nav first, then do MMI nav, then stop MMI nav, then you should have VC on maps, and center screen on Waze navigating.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

So you are sure that you followed the exact steps I outlined with WAZE -- not Google Maps -- selected as your mapping app? These steps work just dandy on my S5 Sportback, and they rely upon quirks of Waze on the phone, and should have nothing to do with any variances in car implementation version.

Try again, but follow EXACTLY the steps I wrote, their order is important. You must start Waze nav first, then do MMI nav, then stop MMI nav, then you should have VC on maps, and center screen on Waze navigating.
Looks like you missed my last post? I got it working, thanks very much. I had not initially realised that it only works with Waze.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks like you missed my last post? I got it working, thanks very much. I had not initially realised that it only works with Waze.
Indeed I did -- glad you got it working -- and it looks like Waze still hasn't fixed their bug shhhh!