AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/)
-   -   Silent danger (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b9-platform-discussion-212/silent-danger-2974279/)

A4Driver 06-17-2019 05:14 AM

Silent danger

I just read a disturbing article in USA Today about a man who forgot to shut off the engine in his keyless car parked in his attached garage and was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning. USA Today

Several times I have gotten out of my car in my garage, not realizing that the engine was still running. Besides the fact that the car is pretty quiet, the radio playing further helps mask the sound of the engine.

Luckily, the car makes a warning chime when you open the door with the engine running. A quick glance at the tachometer let me know I forgot to shut the car off.

There are calls for legislation mandating that automakers install automatic engine shutoffs. I think this probably could be done utilizing software.

I know several of you will chime in with your juvenile comments like, "If you can't remember to turn off your car you shouldn't be driving," or something similar. Tell that to someone who's ever forgotten their child in the back seat on a hot day.

HyperS4 06-17-2019 05:51 AM

Im actually surprised automatic shutoff isnt already implemented. The Europeans are extremely rigid about how long a car can idle, hence the reason they dont allow remote start on their vehicles. However, pretty much every manufacturer has keyless operation now and Im sure this could happen with anyone. I could see it coming soon. However, if they do have something like this installed, what would the time frame be; 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc.? If its a shorter time frame, that will now mess up people who have factory or aftermarket remote start installed.

Eli McCraig 06-17-2019 07:00 AM

Yup. Had a rental car with start/stop. It was a 2018 Chrysler 300c. I inadvertently left the car running overnight, because start stop engaged when I put It in park. I locked locked the car and walked away. When I returned In the morning, the car was still running and it had used 7/8ths of a full tank.
pretty crappy implementation.
Pretty interesting explaining to the boss why I spent $50 on gas, and only drove 17 miles.

HyperS4 06-17-2019 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig (Post 25331253)
Yup. Had a rental car with start/stop. It was a 2018 Chrysler 300c. I inadvertently left the car running overnight, because start stop engaged when I put It in park. I locked locked the car and walked away. When I returned In the morning, the car was still running and it had used 7/8ths of a full tank.
pretty crappy implementation.
Pretty interesting explaining to the boss why I spent $50 on gas, and only drove 17 miles.

I do not think it means what you think it means(guess the movie!). Start/Stop doesnt kick in when you put it in park, it only kicks in when you step hard enough on the brake while stopped at a light or stop sign or something. Otherwise, S/S is never triggered. However, if an engine shutoff was enabled when the key is not found in the vehicle, that is what should be implemented.

bdh1119 06-17-2019 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by HyperS4 (Post 25331256)
I do not think it means what you think it means(guess the movie!). Start/Stop doesnt kick in when you put it in park, it only kicks in when you step hard enough on the brake while stopped at a light or stop sign or something. Otherwise, S/S is never triggered. However, if an engine shutoff was enabled when the key is not found in the vehicle, that is what should be implemented.

My ‘18 A4 stops the engine when I put it in park (assuming the a/c or other power suckers aren’t currently running). That said, it automatically shuts the ignition off when I get out and lock the doors.

HyperS4 06-17-2019 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by bdh1119 (Post 25331261)
My ‘18 A4 stops the engine when I put it in park (assuming the a/c or other power suckers aren’t currently running). That said, it automatically shuts the ignition off when I get out and lock the doors.

My 17 A4 does not stop my engine when I put it in park. Every day I get to my mail box, my engine is still running when I put it in park and open the door to get the mail. I do hear the warning for the key missing, but the engine does not turn off. Maybe this was something changed in later models?

bdh1119 06-17-2019 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by HyperS4 (Post 25331264)
My 17 A4 does not stop my engine when I put it in park. Every day I get to my mail box, my engine is still running when I put it in park and open the door to get the mail. I do hear the warning for the key missing, but the engine does not turn off. Maybe this was something changed in later models?

Maybe, but from what I understand, this happens as part of the auto stop/start system. If you deactivate stop/start, the engine won’t shut off when you put the trans in park.

Flyguy31 06-17-2019 07:36 AM

This has probably been one of the things that has taken me longest to get used to. I was trained to turn the key as soon as I park. I find myself opening the door and than pressing the button to shut off the engine.
I can see how this would be a hazard.

HyperS4 06-17-2019 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by bdh1119 (Post 25331269)
Maybe, but from what I understand, this happens as part of the auto stop/start system. If you deactivate stop/start, the engine won’t shut off when you put the trans in park.

I dont deactivate the start/stop function. My engine never shuts off when I put the trans in park, or even after I open my door, I have to physically press the engine start/stop button to turn off the car. I can make a video later if necessary.

audi8k 06-17-2019 07:47 AM

Audi has already implemented immediate engine shut off in certain european models for certain model years when drivers door is opened. I don't see any logic in the selection but I have had loaners doing that. My comment is that it is irritating for those of us who don't have remote controlled garage doors.