A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Silent danger

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxerBoi76
Got a 2019 A4 here, how do you enable/configure easy entry?
I did it through OBDELEVEN
Old 06-17-2019, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZyB0ne
Turn on easy entry. Then when u push that start/stop button the seat slides back. That's how I know for sure the ignition is switched off.
Yep! This is how I know my car is completely off and not on or on auxiliary power.

OBD11 to activate the easy entry. Don’t know why this feature isn’t activated from factory. I just recently deactivated my start/stop via OBD11. Decided auto stop does more damage than good for the car.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I did it through OBDELEVEN
I tried activating this. Didnt work for me.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PghRich
Only full electrics. Hybrids are a particular problem today as you can often be driving up your driveway and into the garage on battery, so even more likely to not shut it off. When the battery runs low and needs a charge, the engine kicks back on.

I suspect this discussion was triggered by Toyota's announcement yesterday of an auto-shut-off feature.

Toyota cars will now turn themselves off if you forget
Pure electrics were what I meant in my post, but that aspect of hybrids is very interesting.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Did you do it manual coding or use the app on the OBD11?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I just read a disturbing article in USA Today about a man who forgot to shut off the engine in his keyless car parked in his attached garage and was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning. USA Today

Several times I have gotten out of my car in my garage, not realizing that the engine was still running. Besides the fact that the car is pretty quiet, the radio playing further helps mask the sound of the engine.

Luckily, the car makes a warning chime when you open the door with the engine running. A quick glance at the tachometer let me know I forgot to shut the car off.

There are calls for legislation mandating that automakers install automatic engine shutoffs. I think this probably could be done utilizing software.

I know several of you will chime in with your juvenile comments like, "If you can't remember to turn off your car you shouldn't be driving," or something similar. Tell that to someone who's ever forgotten their child in the back seat on a hot day.
I mean....if you forgot your kid in the back seat on a hot day, then you REALLY shouldn't be driving.

Jokes aside, I think it's a good idea to make that into regulation, seems like just a matter of simple software. Should have regulations in place to let you know if there's anything in the back seat as well although that would probably increase the cost of automobiles since I'd imagine that would require additional hardware and software.

I check my tach too to make sure the engine is off, but even if it's not, getting out and locking it seems to turn everything off regardless in my 2018 Prestige A4. Learned that when I tried to leave the car running in the winter time while I locked the doors to run back inside to get something.

Last edited by guy_incognito; 06-18-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Originally Posted by HyperS4
Do you have memory seats? And have 1 stored in memory?

Just checked OBD11 and the app states memory seats are required.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg

I did it using the App on OBD11. I have memory seats and 2 settings stored in memory.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have memory seats with the 2 stored memory buttons.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:28 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by guy_incognito
Jokes aside, I think it's a good idea to make that into regulation, seems like just a matter of simple software. Should have regulations in place to let you know if there's anything in the back seat as well although that would probably increase the cost of automobiles since I'd imagine that would require additional hardware and software.
GM (and I think at least one other automaker?) implemented this in an all-software way - I think the logic is very simple. If, after the car was resting, the rear doors are opened, then the front door is opened and the car is started and driven, then if, once the car is stopped and the front door opened, the rear door is NOT opened, it will sound a warning.

Personally I think it would make more sense to do this with a passenger detection sensor, but it may be that an empty child seat's weight would make that ineffective...

Quick Reply: Silent danger