A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Snow Driving Observations

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carkarl
On the wiper issue, how did you have your climate controls adjusted?

On my Audis, I have always found it best to manually override the venting direction so that heat is going to the windshield when I am in wintry mountains. I don't mean the "max defrost" button, but just the top button in the three that direct more air to windshield, dash vents, and floor vents, respectively. I keep the set temperature anywhere from 60F and up, i.e. I don't cook myself if I am in heavy clothing already. I also might manually run up the fan speed a few clicks since the automatic mode often runs too slowly to really ventilate.

I have never had my wipers freeze up in the Sierra Nevada. But, I had older B5 A4s and now a Q3 so don't know if the B9 is very different in this regard...
I had the defrost on relatively high, but no all the way. Defrost of the windshield was fine, it was the inability to wipe the moisture off of the windshied due to snow freezing to the blades. I'll try adjusting the settings as suggested next time I am up, to see if it helps. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Do any of the Audis have an option for a heated windshield base that the wipers rest on? I know some cars have them.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
Do any of the Audis have an option for a heated windshield base that the wipers rest on? I know some cars have them.
My Toyota RAV4 2008 has a heated windshield based where the wipers rest on.... but for some reason Audi or European manufactures DO NOT or have never seemed to offer that feature. I don't know why.......
Old 03-24-2018, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

My guess is for energy efficiency as well as added cost. Just burns more electricity/gas and isn't needed 99% of the time. I could have used it once this winter, but it was literally 1 day out of 365. If it happened to be on the weekend, I would have just stayed home (so 0 out of 365 days). Replacement glass would cost a lot more since it would have that heater pads build in to those wiper areas.

I could see it being really useful for the mid-US belt where the snow falling has a lot of moisture in it. My 2008 GMC had heated washer fluid which was great for this problem as well as bugs, but that is no more as well (in full honesty, it only got used a handful of times as well).