A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

ZA: So I was in an accident... what now

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ZA: So I was in an accident... what now

Alright, so I was in quite a bad road accident a week ago. Some idiot drove right into the side of my car (I wont go into detail, but very much his fault).

The damage is quite bad. It appears to be only exterior body damage though, and nothing structurally is wrong. The repairs are essentially a new rear right hand side door panel, and a rear right hand side fender. Paint damage along the whole right hand side, and some panel beating.

Insurance will pay for the damages, but whats the best course of action now? Keep the repaired car, and have my car forever tainted in my eyes? Try get insurance to pay for diminished value of the vehicle because of the accident, then try sell it? What would you do?

Last edited by LukeHawk; 04-28-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

You're looking ahead, which is great, but please consider if you have identified a body shop that you trust and have reviewed their portfolio.

I believe you are in the UK, but in the states (at least in Texas), you are legally allowed to pick a body shop of your choice to perform the work. Insurance companies will persuade you to have the work done at their recommended shop, but I've seen too many places that are shoddy and are still "[Insert Insurance Company] Approved." After you have identified a body shop, get an initial quotation on what they believe needs to be done, understand the process, and when the adjuster finally comes out, the official estimate will be had and it will probably change (read: increase).

I say this because you are having someone dismantle your vehicle which is a task on its own, but repainting a white vehicle (especially if it is pearlescent), is another beast. The entire right side of the vehicle may have to be repainted to better color match the existing panels.

I am not sure how diminished claims work in your area, but in Texas, you can ask for diminished value and it is an ordeal but not uncommon. You may have to input your own research to vehicles local to your area with the exact same options, color, similar mileage, etc. to increase the payout. It honestly wouldn't be much, but it is something.

Ultimately, these options should be considered if you are deciding to step away from the vehicle or keeping it. Fortunately because it is only cosmetic, a stellar body shop can make that look brand new and you would never be able to tell. This will help in resale, but most importantly, happiness in either choice you make.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:53 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't know how things work in your jurisdiction, but wouldn't it make sense to get the car repaired by a good body shop first, and then worry about longer term issues?

(FWIW, my own car is in the body shop now. Less damaged than yours but still... but... since my car is leased, priority #1 was making sure it's repaired by a shop that has all the proper Audi certifications.)
Old 04-28-2019, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok so I spoke to my insurance broker. She says:

"If the vehicle is repairable, the authorized repairer must repair the vehicle to the same condition.
It might have an impact on resale, as you will have to disclose, however if there is no structural damage it should not be a problem.

Once the assessor has been appointed we can raise the issue with him, as you mentioned, if the costs are up to 50-60% of the retail value of the vehicle, the possibility to have the vehicle written off would be quite high.

I hope this helps."

I also noticed now that The side panels are all connected. I.e. the roof, left fender and right fender are all one solid panel. I have a feeling they'll want to cut off the section that is damaged, and fix on a new section somehow. I definitely dont want this, I want a whole new panel. I'm guessing that that will raise the cost of repair up significantly, possibly making it a write-off. So silly for just body damage... Most other cars have all the panels separate.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeHawk
Ok so I spoke to my insurance broker. She says:

"If the vehicle is repairable, the authorized repairer must repair the vehicle to the same condition.
It might have an impact on resale, as you will have to disclose, however if there is no structural damage it should not be a problem.

Once the assessor has been appointed we can raise the issue with him, as you mentioned, if the costs are up to 50-60% of the retail value of the vehicle, the possibility to have the vehicle written off would be quite high.

I hope this helps."

I also noticed now that The side panels are all connected. I.e. the roof, left fender and right fender are all one solid panel. I have a feeling they'll want to cut off the section that is damaged, and fix on a new section somehow. I definitely dont want this, I want a whole new panel. I'm guessing that that will raise the cost of repair up significantly, possibly making it a write-off. So silly for just body damage... Most other cars have all the panels separate.
Leave the repairs to the pros. That is how all rear quarter panel repairs are done, regardless of any vehicle. It will have to be cut out, there is no way around that rear quarter panel. You certainly do not just cut out a section and piece in a new section especially for a door or front panel.

Again, the statement provided to you by your insurance broker is any standard line. Of course you expect the repairer to repair it to the same condition - that's the whole point of a body shop. Not all body shops are the same, and that is why we told you to choose a body shop that you trust if that is allowed in your area. Not because someone gave you a recommendation and told you to drop the vehicle there and come back in X weeks.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Agree with Daaavid and VM - they have given sound advice. My unprofessional opinion is that your car's damage does not rise to the level of being totaled. A good body shop will have your repairs fixed to a like new condition. Asto whether you simply don't want the the car anymore is your decision but I would not consider your car forever "tainted."
Old 04-29-2019, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

When I was hit:
1) I just made sure my insurance reached out to the other person's insurance and nothing went on my at all as I had no fault and no way to avoid it
2) I found the best rated body shop in my area (I had a lot of choices)
3) I drove a BMW X3 in the meantime (I requested an all wheel drive and that's what they had) for 2 weeks at their expense
4) Picked up my car looking brand new, completely detailed inside and out. Through the process I kept in contact with the guys at the shop and came in once with coffees and timbits for the guys. To my surprise, they had redone the hood (bonnet) as well I had gotten 3 stone chips in it
Long term:
Make sure to keep all paperwork of work done on the car and pictures so that you have backup of what really happened to the person buying it or when you trade it in to show them there was no structure damage.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

State of the art body shops can repair back close to new, and in my area, offer lifetime guarantees on their work.

Maybe ask your dealer to give you a written trade in estimate for the car with and with out damage disclosure.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:33 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by munsabin
When I was hit:
1) I just made sure my insurance reached out to the other person's insurance and nothing went on my at all as I had no fault and no way to avoid it
2) I found the best rated body shop in my area (I had a lot of choices)
3) I drove a BMW X3 in the meantime (I requested an all wheel drive and that's what they had) for 2 weeks at their expense
4) Picked up my car looking brand new, completely detailed inside and out. Through the process I kept in contact with the guys at the shop and came in once with coffees and timbits for the guys. To my surprise, they had redone the hood (bonnet) as well I had gotten 3 stone chips in it
Long term:
Make sure to keep all paperwork of work done on the car and pictures so that you have backup of what really happened to the person buying it or when you trade it in to show them there was no structure damage.
Was that the incident with the Infiniti in the parking lot, or did your car get hit a second time? I feel like scuba blue cars don't have a lot of luck around here...
Old 04-29-2019, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Was that the incident with the Infiniti in the parking lot, or did your car get hit a second time? I feel like scuba blue cars don't have a lot of luck around here...
Naw - that was a minor one. I was involved in a more radical incident