A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

So I go to my dealer for an oil change....

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default So I go to my dealer for an oil change....

I went to my (one of) dealer for a 15k oil change - yes I get it changed every 5k! They did the Bose trim recall also. Now before I go to the dealer for maintenance I usually wash it prior so they can see that it is a clean,well kept car - and hopeful;y treat it accordingly. Not that I don't keep it clean otherwise because I do. No auto car washes - only hand washing using clean micro fiber cloths, water buckets, etc.I'm an admitted detailing geek. Sooooooooooooooooo, when the SA said the car was ready, he said it would be a moment because they are washing it. I said, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I don't want a wash. Anyhow, it was too late as the car was washed and waiting. I was kinda ticked off and told him I hope not to see swirl marks - or worse.
A quick glance did not show swirls, but I'm sure that soap took off any protective wax and such. In the scheme of things a minor bit of aggravation, but I'll know better for the next time.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My SA has placed a permanent note on my file, it’s printed on every service order in bold letters: DO NOT WASH
Old 05-11-2018, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I went to my (one of) dealer for a 15k oil change - yes I get it changed every 5k! They did the Bose trim recall also. Now before I go to the dealer for maintenance I usually wash it prior so they can see that it is a clean,well kept car - and hopeful;y treat it accordingly. Not that I don't keep it clean otherwise because I do. No auto car washes - only hand washing using clean micro fiber cloths, water buckets, etc.I'm an admitted detailing geek. Sooooooooooooooooo, when the SA said the car was ready, he said it would be a moment because they are washing it. I said, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I don't want a wash. Anyhow, it was too late as the car was washed and waiting. I was kinda ticked off and told him I hope not to see swirl marks - or worse.
A quick glance did not show swirls, but I'm sure that soap took off any protective wax and such. In the scheme of things a minor bit of aggravation, but I'll know better for the next time.
Whenever I bring my car in for service, I always tell the SA upfront not to wash the car, and watch as he makes a notation on the paperwork. I also hand wash my car 95% of the time. But if my car is covered with salt in the middle of the winter, I go to a car wash that uses a spray (including undercarriage) only, no brushes. It does a surprisingly good job.

I also change my oil and filter every 5k miles, but I do it myself in between my Audi Care 10k mile service appointments. I order the oil and filter kit from ECS Tuning. I use an oil extractor, and never have to get under the car or get dirty. I do a lot of short-distance driving where the engine doesn't get fully warmed up, so I don't want to wait a whole year for an oil and filter change.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Whenever I bring my car in for service, I always tell the SA upfront not to wash the car, and watch as he makes a notation on the paperwork. I also hand wash my car 95% of the time. But if my car is covered with salt in the middle of the winter, I go to a car wash that uses a spray (including undercarriage) only, no brushes. It does a surprisingly good job.

I also change my oil and filter every 5k miles, but I do it myself in between my Audi Care 10k mile service appointments. I order the oil and filter kit from ECS Tuning. I use an oil extractor, and never have to get under the car or get dirty. I do a lot of short-distance driving where the engine doesn't get fully warmed up, so I don't want to wait a whole year for an oil and filter change.
The funny/aggravating thing is I washed my car prior to going there. It ended up with water marks and looked less shiny than when I brought it in as they washed away the "wax" that was on it. On another note, I may also start doing my own in between 5k oil changes myself. What do you do with the drained oil?
Old 05-11-2018, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
The funny/aggravating thing is I washed my car prior to going there. It ended up with water marks and looked less shiny than when I brought it in as they washed away the "wax" that was on it. On another note, I may also start doing my own in between 5k oil changes myself. What do you do with the drained oil?
In NJ you can bring it to any auto shop and they will take it. The auto parts chains also take old oil.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would drive me insane. I've had my A4 for just over 18 months and it has only been washed in my driveway. I HATE swirls.

Hopefully you dodged a bullet and all that you need to do is apply a new coat of wax.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Many dealers have caught on we don't like their washes, due to swirl and water spots. So things have improved. Or at least that's what I've noticed in the last few years. I have started letting them do washes and I've not gotten any swirls. Just a few minor spots in the door jams, which is an easy wipe fix. Keep an open mind to washes, but use caution. I find if you leave them a perfectly clean car, they will feel obligated to give it back as close to the same condition. Those who drop it off dirty, send the message, "I don't care."
Old 05-12-2018, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by breadbooze
In NJ you can bring it to any auto shop and they will take it. The auto parts chains also take old oil.

Thanks, that makes it simple! Any preferred oil extractor or are they all pretty much the same?
Old 05-12-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by drewba
That would drive me insane. I've had my A4 for just over 18 months and it has only been washed in my driveway. I HATE swirls.

Hopefully you dodged a bullet and all that you need to do is apply a new coat of wax.
Yeah, luckily looks like no swirls or if they are there, it's very minimal. Let me clarify, my car has Xpel on the hood and bumpers and the whole car had a coating (Nanolex) applied shortly after I got it. The "wax" I was referring to was more like the quick detailing sprays I use after hand washing that have some type of "waxy" protection.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Many dealers have caught on we don't like their washes, due to swirl and water spots. So things have improved. Or at least that's what I've noticed in the last few years. I have started letting them do washes and I've not gotten any swirls. Just a few minor spots in the door jams, which is an easy wipe fix. Keep an open mind to washes, but use caution. I find if you leave them a perfectly clean car, they will feel obligated to give it back as close to the same condition. Those who drop it off dirty, send the message, "I don't care."
That's my thought and one of the reasonsI try and make sure it gets cleaned/vacuumed prior to going to the dealer for service - that they see a car is well cared for so the thought is that they take better care in handling. Yet when I went to another dealer for the initial 5k oil change. the guy working on the car left dirt smudges on the steering wheel and elsewhere. Not a biggie and cleaned up in 5 seconds, but something I mentioned to the SA and then to the Manager. Not to get anyone in trouble, but simply as a heads-up.

As regarding keeping an open mind to washing my car, no way, especially if in the warmer/not freezing weather. Waaaaaaaayyyyyy too many ways ( harsh chemicals, using the same cheap rags to dry the rocker panels as they do to dry the hood, etc.) for them to mess up. So at best - like yesterday, water spots and a duller finish to deal with.

Quick Reply: So I go to my dealer for an oil change....